Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Atag IS24 Plus Evohome Plus Opentherm

Automated Home Sr Member

Very interesting to read and I'm glad a solution was found for the IG issue. I was in the same boat as Hengus and went for the Atag as I simply could not hold off any longer.

I have head and read certain stories about the which awards and I've also seen some very marmite reviews of the IS design - supposedly it was dumped by all other manufacturers. Ultimately though I would have gone with the eco RF over the Atag iS32 as it would have saved me £500.

Assuming it works well during the winter (heating currently off) I will be very happy. I certainly have no issues with water demand.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fergie View Post
    Very interesting to read and I'm glad a solution was found for the IG issue. I was in the same boat as Hengus and went for the Atag as I simply could not hold off any longer.

I have head and read certain stories about the which awards and I've also seen some very marmite reviews of the IS design - supposedly it was dumped by all other manufacturers. Ultimately though I would have gone with the eco RF over the Atag iS32 as it would have saved me £500.

Assuming it works well during the winter (heating currently off) I will be very happy. I certainly have no issues with water demand.
    If consumer organisation awards are anything to go by, Atag has won 'best boiler in The Netherlands' for the last 7 years. I also note that, as of this month, 10 year warranties (parts and labour) are now standard on all their boiler models. Good decision/bad decision to go for an Atag - only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    If consumer organisation awards are anything to go by, Atag has won 'best boiler in The Netherlands' for the last 7 years. I also note that, as of this month, 10 year warranties (parts and labour) are now standard on all their boiler models. Good decision/bad decision to go for an Atag - only time will tell.
    Well I am struggling to find these awards? ATAG's website describes them as 'consumer awards' and we all know from Which? that these can be bias and not actually based on anything really scientific...

Ask any good chemist and they will tell you aluminium is not a good metal to use in heating systems, yet Worcester Bosch were voted top of Which?!?! This just shows me there is a lack of actual knowledge about the engineering behind the appliance. I have looked at ATAG, but nothing really impresses me about them for the money they cost.

But like you said I am bias towards Intergas as we sell them, but at least this is based on my own engineering knowledge and not just because I like the company logo or the installer told me it was a good boiler. Anyone is welcome to come here and see first hand why I think they are so good...

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
    Well I am struggling to find these awards? ATAG's website describes them as 'consumer awards' and we all know from Which? that these can be bias and not actually based on anything really scientific...

Ask any good chemist and they will tell you aluminium is not a good metal to use in heating systems, yet Worcester Bosch were voted top of Which?!?! This just shows me there is a lack of actual knowledge about the engineering behind the appliance. I have looked at ATAG, but nothing really impresses me about them for the money they cost.

But like you said I am bias towards Intergas as we sell them, but at least this is based on my own engineering knowledge and not just because I like the company logo or the installer told me it was a good boiler. Anyone is welcome to come here and see first hand why I think they are so good...
    Didn't HenGus buy his Atag in an effort to work around a perception (at the time) that Evohome/OpenTherm wasn't compatible with Intergas boilers? On that basis, I think he probably found the best boiler for his needs.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blowlamp View Post
    Didn't HenGus buy his Atag in an effort to work around a perception (at the time) that Evohome/OpenTherm wasn't compatible with Intergas boilers? On that basis, I think he probably found the best boiler for his needs.
    I am very pleased with the boiler and my choice of installer. As I have said before, the Eco RF ‘fault’ was confirmed in an e-mail by Intergas UK Technical Support; an Intergas boiler guru and on Richard’s own forum. As far as I am concerned, the Intergas/Atag decision point for me is long past so there is little point in me continuing with a debate about which manufacturer makes the better boiler.
    Last edited by HenGus; 4th August 2017 at 08:23 PM.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    I am very pleased with the boiler and my choice of installer. As I have said before, the Eco RF ‘fault’ was confirmed in an e-mail by Intergas UK Technical Support; an Intergas boiler guru and on Richard’s own forum. As far as I am concerned, the Intergas/Atag decision point for me is long past so there is little point in me continuing with a debate about which manufacturer makes the better boiler.
    I'd have done the same as you, given the information available at the time.

Automated Home Sr Member

The only way to know I've made the right choice would be to run 2 boilers side by side.

As far as I'm concerned I have an Atag iS32 with 10y warranty (life time exchanger) which is built to last near enough 20y. It seems to work well with evohome, though I'm still to use it in anger in the cold.

Only downside is I felt 24 was too small and 32 too big, but they don't do a 28. Ultimately I'm planning to extend my house and the extra hot water heating capacity is certainly useful so 32 it was.

Quote Originally Posted by blowlamp View Post
    I am just as disappointed about the whole sorry situation, but at the time I didn't have access to a live Intergas boiler and was relying on other peoples opinion. Even Intergas themselves were believing the tales that were being told instead of getting to the bottom of it all. Unfortunately Intergas did not think the evohome sales numbers were large enough to spend their own money researching it. I have stepped forwards and proved evohome does work with Intergas, but unfortunately its too late for Hengus and fergie.

I don't blame them for their choice, but don't try to say ATAG is a better engineered product than Intergas because it isn't (especially when you put cost into the equation).

Automated Home Sr Member

Is good news if solved once and for all. As I've said before price difference for me was aprox £500 more for the Atag (compared to slightly smaller eco RF). Admittedly that was comparing two different installers and maybe two slightly different installs.

Main thing for me is the installer seems to have done a cracking job and the pros I've shown the pictures to have been very impressed with the pipework etc.

Automated Home Legend

Update. Two weeks in to the present heating season, I confess that I am increasingly impressed with the ATag IS boiler and Opentherm control. At the moment, my 12 zones (19 rads) are running with 3 at 20C, 4 at 18C and the rest at 15C. The boiler is almost silent in operation with a flow temperature of 50C and a return temperature of 39C.

I appreciate that it is by no means cold at the moment but the other things that I note are the stability of the zone temperatures and the lack of HR92 activity. I have my boiler set at CH 65C which I may drop by a few degrees if the mild spell continues. A new boiler with Opentherm is still something of a learning experience.