• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paulharr
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Apr 2017

Help with new house please

Hi All,

I have just moved into a large house with rooms over 3 floors. It has two combi boilers, one for the lower ground and upper ground floor, and one for the 1st floor. These were just controlled with timers but this afternoon I installed the Hive I had from my last house and a second multizone unit for the second boiler. All is working well except for an unconnected leak on the boiler, grr. The Hives are a temporary measure to give me some basic control on temperature and it has only cost me £80 for the second unit.

I want to plan for the future and would really appreciate your help! I will be looking to install an unvented hot water tank and single boiler to replace the existing boiler and slowly working through the house to refurbish it. Currently each radiator has a TRV and there is no underfloor heating.

I would like to install Evohome when funds allow to give me control over each zone (many of the rooms won't often be lived in). I am fairly comfortable with how this works with respect to hot water and general central heating with radiators. However, I would also like to install (probably wet) underfloor heating into some of the bathrooms. I guess this would normally mean running a new feed from the boiler hot water outlet with a zone valve to control the underfloor heating to have it on when desired. However, is it possible to use the Evohome to achieve this by using a feed closer to the rooms (e.g. from the towel rails which are 15 mm)? If so, I guess I could then install the UFH manifold and pump local to the bathrooms and have this activate through the Evohome and avoid having to run new individual feeds. Am I going completely down the wrong route? Please guide me!

Sorry if the above is full of typos, it has been a long few days moving in!

Thanks,
    Paul
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

Don't bother installing wet UFH in bathrooms only. It's not worth the expense. A cheap electric underfloor mat just for feet comfort with an towel rail will be fine. UFH is best done on the entire ground floor with floor insulation on the ground floor and use no floor insulation on the higher floors except the loft. Then radiators in the top floors to top up. UFH heating needs a thermal mass, the bigger the thermal mass, the more efficient it is.

Comment

• Paulharr
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Apr 2017

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
      Don't bother installing wet UFH in bathrooms only. It's not worth the expense. A cheap electric underfloor mat just for feet comfort with an towel rail will be fine. UFH is best done on the entire ground floor with floor insulation on the ground floor and use no floor insulation on the higher floors except the loft. Then radiators in the top floors to top up. UFH heating needs a thermal mass, the bigger the thermal mass, the more efficient it is.
      That's the best answer for me, I would much prefer electrical. I believe that this can still be controlled using Evohome in the future which suits me. Thanks for your suggestion.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

If you are planning to control the electric uFh with evohome you may need to buy the higher rated relay unit.

Comment

Working...
        X