• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stumpers
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2017

Boiler warranties and custom controllers

My boiler is on the way out and I suspect that it will die this year, so I've been looking at replacements. I'm keen to get one with a long warranty and have been doing some research.

As far as I can tell, the longest ones you can get at the moment are 10 years (e.g. on an Ideal boiler, or Baxi). But I'm also keen to install a smart heating control system and I've suddenly started wondering whether these can affect a warranty. Obviously I wouldn't want to pay for extra support only to have it invalidated. Does anyone have any experience of this stuff?
  • HenGus
    Automated Home Legend
    • May 2014

Originally posted by stumpers View Post
    My boiler is on the way out and I suspect that it will die this year, so I've been looking at replacements. I'm keen to get one with a long warranty and have been doing some research.

As far as I can tell, the longest ones you can get at the moment are 10 years (e.g. on an Ideal boiler, or Baxi). But I'm also keen to install a smart heating control system and I've suddenly started wondering whether these can affect a warranty. Obviously I wouldn't want to pay for extra support only to have it invalidated. Does anyone have any experience of this stuff?
    There is absolutely no reason why a third-party control system should impact on a boiler warranty provided the chosen control system is deemed to be compatible with the boiler. For example, boilers that offer connection via the Opentherm protocol should be compatible with all Opentherm controllers (for example;Nest 3 or Evohome) - whether they work or not is a different matter. Arguably, you have a greater safety net if you install the boiler manufacturer's toys. As mentioned on this forum, when things are not working as they should there can often be a blame game between the parties involved.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2014

This debate has been going on in the car world for decades. When it comes to a warranty claim if the boiler manufacturer can prove that the 3rd party system directly attributed to the issue then you are in a grey area and some haggling can be expected. However if you have an issue with, say, the heat exchanger or the ignition why should the thermostat be blamed. But as @HenGus said, if the boiler manufacturer is claiming to be compatible with an open standard then they shouldn't lock you into using their own controls.

Comment

• stumpers
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Mar 2017

Thanks for replies. I guess it just confirms what I thought - it ought not to make a difference, but be ready for a bit of an argument if it come to it

Comment

• G4RHL
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jan 2015

Have a look at Intergas. I think they offer a longer warranty as well as excellent reports on reliability and running costs. It's what I will be going for when my boiler (20 years old) decides it is time to depart this life. I agree with other points raised, adding the control system must be in order. A decent boiler is designed for such to be added.

I am never a fan of longer warranties being an asset and certainly not paying some of the high charges some ask for. Plus the chances of the supplier trying to find excuses not to meet a warranty are high. I was offered an extended warranty recently for my 7 year old car. When I read the fine print I found I would be paying for nothing. Wear and tear was excluded and after 7 years it will not be easy to prove manufacturer's defect! Provided you are a private/domestic user then you already have statutory protection. If you are a commercial user check your conditions. Many don't and I have seen many many commercial contracts where a customer has happily agreed there is no liability on the supplier. The public sector is rife with them. We all pay very heavily because of it. Software contracts for example where liability is excluded if it goes wrong! Fitness equipment supplied and the supplier excludes all liability (other than for injury or death) if it goes wrong. I could go on, this is not the right forum!

Comment

• HenGus
            Automated Home Legend
            • May 2014

Atag approved installers are now offering the Atag IS boiler range with a free 10 year warranty.

Comment

Working...
            X