Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: OpenTherm control behaviour

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
    I have passed on to the team. And Opentherm are in the mix as well.
    Just seen this @Rameses.

I've had to revert back to BDR91 due to excessive temps. It's just not possible in this weather to have the OpenTherm R8810 controlling my boiler. In the depths of winter, then of course the issue is less pronounced. I still have the R8810 OT bridge, so can put in back into control the boiler if needed.

I did have a call logged previously as well to add to this (case ref: 14575585) - does this help as there was monitoring of my device and OT bridge earlier in the year?

Stephen

Automated Home Sr Member

What boiler do you have Stephen?

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fergie View Post
    What boiler do you have Stephen?
    Hi,

I have a Viessmann Vitodens 111-W Storage Combi 35KW (installed 2014 - and has rotary DHW and CH temp controls. Newer models have LCD screen with digital controls)

http://www.viessmann.com/vires/produ...VSA00001_1.PDF

See here for my journey (So far) with Opentherm:

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...1-W-overshoots

Stephen

Automated Home Sr Member

So today Ideal have been out and replace the PCB in the boiler. Now the knob on the front controls the temperature of the flow and it isn’t over ridden to max whenever there is a heat demand. Also for the first time, I’ve seen boiler efficiency over 50%. This is a measure of how long the boiler is in condensing mode.

Still need to see how it gets on with modulating the temps. But for now it definitely seems like an improvement.

Automated Home Legend

Didn't take long did it...

Automated Home Sr Member

Haha yeah! Unfortunately working in design and development myself, I know how relatively simple changes can seem to take an age it get in...

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kimber.kimber View Post
    So today Ideal have been out and replace the PCB in the boiler. Now the knob on the front controls the temperature of the flow and it isn’t over ridden to max whenever there is a heat demand. Also for the first time, I’ve seen boiler efficiency over 50%. This is a measure of how long the boiler is in condensing mode.

Still need to see how it gets on with modulating the temps. But for now it definitely seems like an improvement.
    That isn't how the Atag works with OT. When CH is on, manual control of the max flow temperature is ignored. The flow TSet is calculated and set by OT in conjunction with the boiler. It varies in the range 70C (The TMax Set in the boiler profile) and 20C.

Automated Home Legend

I have to say I am impressed that Ideal did sort this.

On Vaillant there is an internal installer Max (Atag equivalent of Tset max) and then the knob in the front allows the User to limit that further. However all instructions tend to say that when using intelligent controls that can vary the flow, the User knob should be set to max. The issue with the Viesmann is that none of the set maxes (Install or User) are respected and boiler just goes all the way to its own safety max.

Automated Home Legend

@Bruce The manual CH control on my Atag IS is ignored under OT control as I can see what the Calculated TSet temperature is. The 'problem' for us poor end users is knowing what should and shouldn't happen under OT control. Reading the Atag User Guide there is the implication that the CH manual control should work when the boiler is controlled by an Atag One which is also OT. I cannot say that I am bothered as for most of yesterday, with 12 zones set to 15C and above, the boiler flow temperature was 52C.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    I have to say I am impressed that Ideal did sort this.

On Vaillant there is an internal installer Max (Atag equivalent of Tset max) and then the knob in the front allows the User to limit that further. However all instructions tend to say that when using intelligent controls that can vary the flow, the User knob should be set to max. The issue with the Viesmann is that none of the set maxes (Install or User) are respected and boiler just goes all the way to its own safety max.
    Indeed. If only Viessmann would admit a problem and do the same....