• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

Grrr... Channel 13 bites again

Just testing new Wi-Fi kit (part of my PC Pro gig) and once again lost communication with Evohome. All because the Wi-Fi was running on channel 13.

I really love Evohome, but it's a bit rubbish that a UK sold product won't work on all UK licenced Wi-Fi bands.

Surely this could be addressed with a firmware update?

P.
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

And with most routers set to Auto Channel these days, this could cause some head scratching too...

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
      Just testing new Wi-Fi kit (part of my PC Pro gig) and once again lost communication with Evohome. All because the Wi-Fi was running on channel 13.

I really love Evohome, but it's a bit rubbish that a UK sold product won't work on all UK licenced Wi-Fi bands.

Surely this could be addressed with a firmware update?

P.
      I was meaning to test the recent update to see if it did resolve the lack of support for channel 12 and 13 but it looks like you beat me to it!

I have no idea what kind of software/firmware the wifi module on these runs (I'm assuming its a separate processor to the main UI processor that runs Windows CE) but in most embedded OS's like Linux channels can be enabled by tweaking a single configuration file. C'mon Honeywell, how hard can it be ?

I've put my Superhub 2 back to Auto on 2.4Ghz recently and have not been bitten by the lack of channel 12/13 support yet (I don't think Auto will choose 12 or 13 on a Superhub/Superhub 2) but if it looses communication I'll have a good idea what probably happened...

Comment

• DBMandrake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
        And with most routers set to Auto Channel these days, this could cause some head scratching too...
        Luckily for Honeywell, it's generally considered bad form for Auto on a router to choose channels other than 1,6,11, otherwise a lot more people would see this issue.

I believe Virgin's Superhub/Superhub 2 will never choose 12/13 on Auto - I've put mine back on Auto to test this theory... however there are some routers that are known to choose 12/13 when in Auto as other users have reported on this very forum, so it certainly needs addressing.

Comment

• paulockenden
          Automated Home Legend
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
          I have no idea what kind of software/firmware the wifi module on these runs (I'm assuming its a separate processor to the main UI processor that runs Windows CE) but in most embedded OS's like Linux channels can be enabled by tweaking a single configuration file. C'mon Honeywell, how hard can it be ?
          Yup, I've never found any embedded wifi support components that have channel restrictions. These normally happen at a higher level.

Very common with American owned companies though - the first UK Kindles couldn't connect higher than channel 11 either, although Amazon pushed out a fix to solve it after a certain person wrote a column explaining what the problem was. I had a friend who worked on the technology desk at a large Tesco at the time, and "Won't connect to Wi-Fi" was by far the major cause of Kindle product returns.

Comment

• Rameses
            Industry Expert
            • Nov 2014

Paul

We had this tested in our labs (again) and are not able to replicate what you are seeing. We will reach out directly
            getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• roydonaldson
              Automated Home Guru
              • Jan 2013

I had this exact problem myself as well. AP auto-selected channel 13, EvoHome loses WiFi conenctivety. Get EvoHome to scan for Wifi, no SSID found. Change channel off of 13, blam, finds SSID straightaway.

Roy.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
                Paul

We had this tested in our labs (again) and are not able to replicate what you are seeing. We will reach out directly
                Are you saying channels 12 and 13 should work on the latest firmware ?

If so, it doesn't for me. It just doesn't find the base station at all. I'm using a Virgin Media Superhub 2.

Comment

• Rameses
                  Industry Expert
                  • Nov 2014

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                  Are you saying channels 12 and 13 should work on the latest firmware ?

If so, it doesn't for me. It just doesn't find the base station at all. I'm using a Virgin Media Superhub 2.
                  I am awaiting confirmation.
                  getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• paulockenden
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Apr 2015

You guys know where I live - I'll happily demonstrate the bug if someone wants to pop round.

Comment

• Rameses
                      Industry Expert
                      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                      You guys know where I live - I'll happily demonstrate the bug if someone wants to pop round.
                      Will be fixed/iunlocked in a future release (before winter)

Comment

• paulockenden
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
                        Will be fixed/iunlocked in a future release (before winter)
                        ╱╱┏╮
                        ╱╱┃┃
                        ▉━╯┗━╮
                        ▉┈┈┈┈┃
                        ▉╮┈┈┈┃
                        ╱╰━━━╯

Comment

Working...
                        X