Thread: kat5 rgb

Default kat5 rgb

As I have an LCD with RGB scart available, presumably this is the version I should go for? Presuming it's better quality?

gavin

Default Re: kat5 rgb

Hi Gavin,

RGB KAT5 units will give a better picture than S-Video provided the source has an RGB output .... BUT.. the RGB units use all 4 pairs of the CAT5 cable for video signals therefore there is no audio capability.

The RGB units are primarily intended for feeding projectors or plasma screens when the audio is routed separately to a surround sound system.

To do audio to a TV as well, you will need a set of normal KAT5 units for the audio.

Regards

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Automated Home Jr Member

Sort of on this topic,

I have Sky+ with its digital out. I amproposing to convert this "optical-digital-out" to "coax-digital-out" and feed along a spare coax that runs next to the cat5e.

I would then use a RGB Kat5 unit for video. The run is approx 6 meters if it matters.

Any issues with this ( I am assuming if a program on Sky+ is not DD it outputs stereo on the digital connection so I will always have sound).

Will this work and hence I should buy RGB rather than S-Video ?

On another topic, is your IR compatible with Xantech in any way?

Ta
    Chris

Hi Chris

Quote Originally Posted by phcjpp
    Sort of on this topic,

I have Sky+ with its digital out. I amproposing to convert this "optical-digital-out" to "coax-digital-out" and feed along a spare coax that runs next to the cat5e.

I would then use a RGB Kat5 unit for video. The run is approx 6 meters if it matters.

Any issues with this ( I am assuming if a program on Sky+ is not DD it outputs stereo on the digital connection so I will always have sound).

Will this work and hence I should buy RGB rather than S-Video ?
    Should work just fine.

Cant comment on the "Stereo" question as I havent got SKY+ yet but I would imagine it would output stereo digital audio otherwise everyone would need to connect two sets of leads to their amps.

Quote Originally Posted by phcjpp
    On another topic, is your IR compatible with Xantech in any way?
    Simple answer.... DUNNO !!!!

I have never had my hands on any Xantech kit other than trying their IR emitters on a KAT5 unit.

I do know it is not directly compatable as Xantech use a +12V supply for their IR receivers whereas KAT5 is +5V. Xantech also use an unconventional assignment for the 3.5mm jacks. Most people use the sleeve as Ground, Xantech use it for +12V :!:

Different voltages and pin assignements can be overcome but the biggest unknown is how Xantech actually handle the IR signal internally.

There are two methods, the raw modulated IR pulses, or demodulated IR signals. KAT5 uses demodulate signals.

Hope that helps

Regards

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Automated Home Guru FrankMcAlinden's Avatar

Hi Chris / Keith

I have a xantech table top receiver which i use for testing and it appears to work better using a 9v supply.....It also sends out modulated ir (raw ir ) .

Chris were you thinking of connecting a xantech receiver into a KAT5 Reciever ??...If so this cant be done currently due to voltage difference and KAT5 expects demodulated instead of modulated...

HTH
    Frank
    Home of FirM - the Multi Zone IR Transport System
    http://www.armaghelectrical.com.au/index.html