Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange bug

Automated Home Legend

Another variant of the same bug? I have a Quick Action that sets all zones to 23C (used to ensure full system circulation). When I switched it on the controller showed me that the zones had a Setpoint of 23C. But shortly after that, 2 zones went back to 5C, which they were set to prior to me switching the Quick Action on.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Sounds the same.

Simon, you never replied whether my latest fix might work, at least in some instances.

Automated Home Guru

I've just started to use Economy mode to stop rooms being heated (correctly) when it's relatively warm outside and I notice the CS92 link keeps failing to report water temperature (--) on the display. When the schedule starts the next day it works again and if I don't use Eco mode the system works OK. I can't say if it was OK before the latest update, but it's behaviour that is wrong.

I can't see any way that the HW temp link could be connected to the Economy quick action. Doesn't make sense. I suspect the occurrence is coincidental.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Simon, you never replied whether my latest fix might work, at least in some instances.
    Ignoring the set point updates from an HR92 that is supposed to have local overrides disabled ? Yes, I think that would avoid the problems on zones set to local override disabled.

Doesn't do anything for zones that do have local override enabled though - which would be the majority I would think, since its the default ? I've only disabled local override in two rooms, because I have a 1 year old that thinks that every button and knob that can be found in the entire house within his reach should be turned and pressed until it wears out...

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I can't see any way that the HW temp link could be connected to the Economy quick action. Doesn't make sense. I suspect the occurrence is coincidental.
    I was going to reply and say the same thing - I can't see any connection between using the Economy action and problems with the hot water sensor, as the economy action doesn't touch anything to do with hot water.

If the temperature reading goes to -- it means that the Evotouch hasn't received any temperature updates from the CS92A for a long time. I don't remember how long it is but its something on the order of 2 hours.

If the temperature in the cylinder isn't changing at all, or is well below the bottom differential temperature and is not changing much (middle of the night with the hot water scheduled off and not being drained) the CS92A only sends an update about once an hour. If a couple of those very infrequent updates go missing in a row because of comms issues (collisions, noise, etc) then it could easily change to --. I've actually seen this happen once myself before I moved my CS92A.

The reason it doesn't happen when the hot water is on and in use is because the CS92A sends much more frequent updates when the temperature is changing, especially when within the differential band. So if one of those updates was missed due to comms problems then another update will be along soon enough and it won't cause it to time out.

So unfortunately my thinking is that the underlying issue here is comms problems between the CS92A and the Evotouch, which is only made obvious when the CS92A falls back to infrequent updates when the system is idle and the temperature is not changing.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 10th May 2017 at 09:26 AM.

Automated Home Guru

I've made the link to an Economy mode issue because if I switch it off there are no problems. I agree with your analysis. I have narrowered it down to sometime between 2100 and 2300 the former is when the HW schedule turns it off and 2300 when the HTG goes off. At 0600 the link and display returns to normal and the water heated up normally to its target temperature of 55C. There are no log entries for communications lost on the Evohome. In normal mode there is no lost in control signals but maybe in Eco mode the time between transmission updates is extended for all sensors as you describe thereby exposing a link issue. The CS92 is 500mm from any BDR91 and both BDR91's are separated by 500mm. The CS92 is 1.5M from the Evohome. There is some correlation between normal (no errors) and Eco (errors). I'll reduce all the zone temperatures by 3C in normal mode to simulate Eco mode and see how it goes.
    Last edited by g6ejd; 11th May 2017 at 09:30 AM.

Automated Home Jr Member

Tuesday night the heating in the bedroom unexpectedly turned on without any scheduled set point or override (asleep at the time). Woke up feeling hot and found radiator on and Evohome indicating that an override was active. Unless I have started to sleep walk or have acquired a poltergeist, it looks as if Evohome spontaneously set an override.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
    Tuesday night the heating in the bedroom unexpectedly turned on without any scheduled set point or override (asleep at the time). Woke up feeling hot and found radiator on and Evohome indicating that an override was active. Unless I have started to sleep walk or have acquired a poltergeist, it looks as if Evohome spontaneously set an override.
    Sounds a bit like this:

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...antom-override

Do you graph your set points ? If so what do you see around that time ?

Automated Home Jr Member

My issue was a bit like the other thread but thankfully has only occured once so far. I also use one of the round T87RF wall thermostat and just let the HR92 control the radiator. My installation has also been working okay for months. I thought I had disabled local override when I added the T87RF's to the system, but will check.

I have not set up to graph set points etc. Although I have an engineering and diy background, these days I just want to understand things enough to get them to work properly. Although Evohome is the only system I have found that can give me to individual room control I need, it appears to me to be more of an advanced prototype than a finish consumer product

Quote Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
    ....it appears to me to be more of an advanced prototype than a finish consumer product
    It's actually a very mature 3rd generation product. Or even 4th, if you count Hometronic, on which it is based.