• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dog
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2005

Cat5e cable runs

Can anybody help me? I am in the middle of a new build and want to wire for multiroom AV, my problem is I have cat5e cable (not sure if it is sheilded,been told it is but no marking on cable) and need to know if I can run this with my speaker & phone cables inthe same trunking?
  • danward79
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jul 2004

Re: Cat5e cable runs

I would not run the speaker cables with the Cat 5 personally, however, others may not agree with me. Speaker cables can have some high currents in them.

It would be ok to run your phone with the cat5 thou
    Cheers

Dan

Comment

• katman
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by danward79
      I would not run the speaker cables with the Cat 5 personally, however, others may not agree with me. Speaker cables can have some high currents in them.

It would be ok to run your phone with the cat5 thou
      Shouldnt be any problem with a speaker cable despite the high currents.

Although it is not a twisted pair, it is a balanced circuit so the current in each wire is the same but the opposite direction. This will cancel out any magnetic field generated in the cable.

Regards

Keith
      KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
      http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• Dog
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Sep 2005

Thanks for the replies, I just need to know now if I can also run digi coax in with all these other cables??? Thanks

Comment

• vex
          Automated Home Guru
          • Feb 2005

Shouldn't have any problem running a CAI approved coax in with these.

The screening should be good enough to reject anything floating around in there.

Personally I would use CT100 or WF100 as the cable rather than something your electrician could supply. This will provide you with a better screening efficiency and interference rejection.

Chris
          www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
          NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• Dog
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Sep 2005

Thanks again for replies, I am using CT100 coax, and screened CAT5 so I think that I should be OK.
            I am going to run 2 runs of CAT5 for control panels, and 2 runs of CT100 and 2 runs of CAT5 to all TV points.
            Does seem like enough or should I run more??
            Thanks Again for all the help.

Comment

Working...
            X