Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HR92s unscrewing

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    I got a battery change notification last night and I found that the adapter on a new Valencia body was very loose. The HR92 head wasn't off centre, and I recall double-checking all the adapters for tightness after the installer had left.
    Jumped a thread due to being over tightened perhaps ?

Automated Home Jr Member

If I read the earlier replies correctly, it sounds like "best practice" is to screw the HR92 adapters fully onto Valencia valve bodies - is that so? I ask because when I did that, it felt as though the adapter was still seeing some force from the valve pin even when the black wheel was unscrewed to the end stop. I took that to mean that the valve might not be fully open, so unscrewed the adapters a bit to compensate. I believe they are all closing properly, but in the absence of any instructions from Honeywell it all felt a bit hit and miss, and there's not a lot of thread to play with in the first place. Sounds like I should go back and tighten them all up a bit, so thanks for the advice.

Automated Home Legend

The standard adaptor should always be fully screwed on otherwise it will come loose and things won't work properly. If you can't fully screw it on without it pushing the pin down when the black wheel is anti-clockwise then it is not properly compatible with the valve body. Remember to always turn the black wheel fully anti-clockwise before screwing the adaptor onto the valve body. Maybe you forgot to do this ?

It's hard to judge how tight to screw it down if you just screw the adaptor on by hand. The approach I take is to first turn the black wheel fully anti-clockwise, then screw the white adaptor body on by hand but only until it starts to tighten a bit, then drop the HR92 down onto it and then turn the HR92 body about another 30 degrees until it feels "snug", then reposition the HR92 in the correct orientation.

Automated Home Jr Member

The valve bodies are all Honeywell Valencia VTL-200 so I assume there should not be any concern about incompatibility with the standard HR92 adapter. With the adapters in the position I have them at the moment, as I turn the black wheel almost fully anti-clockwise there's a point at which it noticeably "frees up". I had assumed that was the point at which it just lost contact with the valve pin, and therefore that's when the valve was fully open; all the adapters are set so that this occurs just before the black wheel reaches the (fully unscrewed) end-stop. From memory this is at least half a turn (of the adapter) away from finger tight. I haven't seen any problems - HR92s falling off, etc. - with this approach, and the valves do seem to close fully, but it did seem a bit too ad hoc to be quite right. Based on what you suggested I will try screwing the adapters in fully and check that the radiators are still heating properly.

Automated Home Guru

You can finger tighten the little black circle that surrounds the pin on the Valencia. This will lower the pin (you are effectively reducing how far it opens / sticks up). I've done this on mine so that all the HR92 collars screw on completely without any resistance from the pin. I hope that makes sense.

Automated Home Jr Member

Thanks rotor, that makes sense - will try it.