Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HR92s unscrewing

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Default HR92s unscrewing

Has anyone else found their HR92s unscrewing themselves slightly?

It's happened to me perhaps 4 or 5 times now. I find an HR92 which is unscrewed by about 1/4 turn. This is with Valencia valves.

Automated Home Ninja

That presumably means the whole screw on adaptor bit (the black disc) AND the head itself are turning? You'd surely notice the head moving?

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Yes, the whole thing.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Yes, the whole thing.
    I've seen mine unscrew several times too - when they've been knocked by people or children who don't admit to it.

If you just screw the threaded adaptor onto the valve by hand finger tight and then fit the HR92 on top it doesn't take much of a sideways knock with the screen brace fitted to unscrew the adaptor, as it isn't screwed onto the valve tight enough. In an extreme case the motor torque might cause it to come loose as well. I think I've seen this but only once.

When I fit the threaded adaptor I screw it up finger tight, sit the HR92 on it, turn the body of the HR92 like a knob to nip up the threaded adaptor a bit tighter (but being careful not to overdo it, as it wouldn't be too hard to split the adaptor) and then lift the HR92 off again and re-orient it in the desired direction before latching it.

Relying on just screwing the adaptor on finger tight turning the adaptor directly doesn't seem to be quite tight enough from what I've observed, and needs a bit of extra tightening by using the extra leverage of the HR92 body.

Try giving yours a gentle clockwise twist via the HR92 body and see if they turn easily - I bet some do, so give them a nip up and then re-orient the HR92.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 22nd May 2017 at 01:51 PM.

Automated Home Ninja

I've had Valencias exclusively for about 3 months and I've not noticed any issues. My installer did do them up very tight!

Automated Home Legend

On two of my radiators I had to use the adaptor (Danfoss valve). Unscrewing on one is reasonably regular. Sometimes the HR92 pops off

Automated Home Legend

Further to my earlier post, it would help if in some way the HR92 knew it had come off the radiator valve and sent a message to the panel to show a fault. Yesterday it came off again and was lying on the floor but no fault recorded.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    Further to my earlier post, it would help if in some way the HR92 knew it had come off the radiator valve and sent a message to the panel to show a fault. Yesterday it came off again and was lying on the floor but no fault recorded.
    Does the HR92 pop off the adaptor, or is it the adaptor coming off the valve ? If the latter I don't see how it could detect this, other than noticing that the pin seems unusually easy to drive down! (but that would be a heuristic...)

Only if the latch is open / not locked is the HR92 aware that it is not fitted correctly. If I remember right it normally sends a "special" heat demand figure (higher than the normal 0-200 range) when the latch is open so in theory this could be detected by the controller.

Automated Home Legend

The HR92 (the whole thing including the bit that screws on to the adaptor) comes off the adaptor even thought tightly screwed on. If we can fly to the moon then I guess it is within the wit of man to design the HR92 to send a message back when it knows there is something wrong - i.e. there is no pin resistance.

I am reasonably certain why it happens, and always on the same radiator (I have two out of 13 that have needed adaptors) is the pin in the valve itself is probably sticking. I have manually pushed the pin in and out to ensure it is free. I have not tried a drop of oil on it in case that is the wrong thing to do. The valve is 20 years old. I have 13 Honeywell replacement valves ready to replace all! But am lazy and have intended to do it as and when the boiler is replaced. Also 20 years old. My heating service man continually says "It works, wait until it doesn't. There are three expensive/potentially hard to get parts in it that could fail and the failure of any one is the trigger for a new boiler"!!

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Has anyone else found their HR92s unscrewing themselves slightly?

It's happened to me perhaps 4 or 5 times now. I find an HR92 which is unscrewed by about 1/4 turn. This is with Valencia valves.
    I got a battery change notification last night and I found that the adapter on a new Valencia body was very loose. The HR92 head wasn't off centre, and I recall double-checking all the adapters for tightness after the installer had left.