• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crozzo
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2004

Multiple CM12Us On Same PC

Hi

Does anyone know whether it is possible to have multiple CM12U PC Interfaces on the same PC (and connected to the same house wiring).

I have a CM12U running with Homeseer software. I am also thinking about running Incontrol Quadcam on the same PC. Each package will expect to see a CM12U on its own dedicated Com Port.

Is there any way to share a CM12U between the two apps? Or do I need 2 CM12Us - I am led to believe that two CM12Us on the same house wiring may intefere with one another! Is this correct?

Any info / tips would be most helpful.

TIA

crozzo 8)
  • jon00
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jan 2004

Re: Multiple CM12Us On Same PC

Hi Crozzo,

You will need a second CM12 as Homeseer will have exclusive use of the com port (to listen/update & transmit X10).

There should be no issues in running more than one CM12 on different ports. By the very nature of the X10 system, if both wanted to transmit at the same time, one would wait until the power line is free of X10 signals.

Before I purchased a proper X10 repeater, I actually used a second CM12 as a pseudo repeater with no problems at all.
    Jon

www.jon00.me.uk

Comment

• crozzo
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Feb 2004

Thanks for the info Jon - most helpful as usual!

Nick 8)

Comment

• HippyWarlock
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Apr 2004

They say:
        "Shared Serial Ports is an advanced utility, the purpose of which is to share real serial ports between multiple applications in the way, that all applications will receive same data from real serial port simultaneously. It is achieved by creating virtual serial ports, which are same copies as real one. Each application will think that it is working with serial port in exclusive mode. All virtual serial ports will be able also to send data to real serial port. Also, you will be able to set permissions to read, write or change control lines state for every application separately"

@:
        Virtual Serial Port Driver PRO is an efficient all-in-one solution that allows to join and split serial ports, configure custom port parameters and manage any number of real and virtual COM ports.

HTH - Haven't tried it, but would assume as said that the limiting factor here is the waiting for X10 signals to expire.
        **Signatures reduce bandwidth**

Comment

• Richard_L_James
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • May 2004

The software solution suggested above seems the most sensible way. However I guess the following may also work:

+ Connecting the CM12U to an RS232 to IP convertor as many allow multiple connections and they usually come with virtual com port redirector software
          + Simple hardware switching with 1 CM12U going to 2 serial ports
          http://www.wimborne.org/richard/

Comment

Working...
          X