Thread: LED garden light

Automated Home Lurker

Question LED garden light

Does anyone have any experience of adding a mains powered security floodlight to a home automation system? Basically while I'm at home and awake I don't particularly need or want it to come on, but between certain hours and when I'm away I want it to always come on if the PIR is triggered.

I don't have any automation infrastructure yet, so I'd be happy looking into a one off solution with a RPi or a commercial product - whatever's cheaper. (For reference, the light I have is a bit like this daylight LED model - different brand, but looks to be a clone).

Thanks in advance

Simplest option, if you have no other HA infrastructure, would be to connect the floodlight and PIR through a time switch. If you're at home, the timeswitch manages when the light & PIR gets power, if you're away, plug the PIR into the socket without a timer so that its always powered and will light up whenever the PIR is triggered.

Not very high tech, but simple

HTH,
    Tim.

Automated Home Lurker

Thumbs up

Thanks for a dose of common sense . Come to think of it, that is a much easier solution for this particular case. (And it gives me more time to focus on connecting my boiler )

Automated Home Lurker makemyhomesmart's Avatar

Have a look at the Netatmo Presence Outdoor Security Camera as well. It can be set on timers, and has intelligent features to work out if its just a cat outside or someone hanging round. Plus it has a camera that can record what's going on and send alerts to your phone.
    Last edited by makemyhomesmart; 2nd June 2017 at 10:36 AM.