• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nunners
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2004

Phone wiring help - with ADSL & a PBX in mind

I've got an old Panasonic A309 phone system, which has four extensions off it, and as far as I can tell goes straight onto the current single phone line. I've recently enabled broadband on it, and am having a few problem rewiring it all to allow for the ADSL filter etc.

Currently, the BT line I believe comes into a NTe box:

Would I be correct by saying that the setup should be as follows?

If so, I'm going along the correct lines. I've wired directly the incoming BT line in a "bought" normal BT Line box. Into this is plugged the filter, and then out of that comes the RJ11 to the router, and a chopped off extension lead which goes into the NTE box, to link up the PBX.

The problem is doing this setup causes the telephone line to have serious static on it, and also, it would seem that the filter is not doing it's as everytime we go on the phone, the router ot have to re-establish authentication - which you can hear on the phone. Does anyone have any thoughts about whether the PBX will allow the line to support broadband? I've seen something about the PBX possibly needing something extra on the line, on top of a normal telephone point, but I'm not sure what this is?

Any help gratefully received

Thanks
    Nunners
  • shevans
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Sep 2005

Re: Phone wiring help - with ADSL & a PBX in mind

I don't have a PBX but I did have bad static/crackling on my ADSL line, this was cured with a quality filter from :

Worth a try?

Could of course be a poor connection or even a BT induced fault which occured at the same time.

Comment

• Nunners
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Dec 2004

I've already got a decent filter - as an aside, I work for an ISP, and we've tested loads of filters, and found the best ones to be Excelsus ones... they're tailed and have better capacitors in them.

Comment

• katman
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nunners
        I've already got a decent filter - as an aside, I work for an ISP, and we've tested loads of filters, and found the best ones to be Excelsus ones... they're tailed and have better capacitors in them.
        Hi Nunners

Your diagram is correct, line into the NTE5, then split at the filter with ADSL going to router and filtered line going to the PBX.

You can actually get an ADSL filtered faceplate for the NTE5...

... which makes for a much neater job as the rear has connections for ADSL and cable to your PBX which means you dont actually have to have any cables visible from the faceplate.

PBX shouldnt need anything other than a filter on the incoming line. My Pentara Plus works fine

Regards

Keith
        KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
        http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• shevans
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Nunners
          Have you tried another one of your decent filters?

I've wired directly the incoming BT line in a "bought" normal BT Line box.
          Is this "bought" box a master?

Comment

• andrewpurnellUK
            Automated Home Lurker
            • May 2006

I have had a simular issue with my old Panasonic PBX system. The BT line goes straight to the exchange and i have a filter to my broadband connection to Talktalk. I have tried wiring the exchange via the filter but it doesnt seem to work. Can anyone give me the correct wiring details to attach the exchange onto the filter. Hope that makes sense, effectively the exchange isnt connected to the filter. but broadband is.

Can the same person that answers my issue above email it to my address andrewUK@talktalk.net. Many thanks

Comment

Working...
            X