• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oldtomated
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jun 2017

X10 system – time to update

I really need to come into the 21st century re my home automation.
    Current system is X10 based using CM15 pro and Active Home.
    I am controlling: -
    Various outside lights – based on dusk and dawn times and time of year (Christmas etc)
    But most important, for me is the control of external window shutters. At the moment, I can control these in two ways – individually, 5 shutters have individual x10 code, from an x10 Infrared and RF Command Centre IR7243 but more importantly my alarm system, a DSC Power 832, sends an x10 command to CM15 pro activating a “dummy” x10 module. This enables all the shutters to be lowered when the alarm is activated and all shutters raised, dependant on time of day, when alarm is deactivated. The time of day function, all controlled by Active Home, is also quite important –
    If it is “dark”, say after 7pm, when the alarm is deactivated the shutters do not go up, no need.
    In the morning shutters never go up before 7am, determining factor is “dawn/light”. Let’s say dawn is 07.30am, we deactivate alarm at 06.50am, shutter would remain down until 07.30am when Active Home “knows” that the alarm is deactivated and it is “light”

So, looking to update complete system, including alarm, if necessary.
    Requirements: -
    Cannot be powerline controlled.
    Need to be able to programme system, preferably, initially from computer.
    Need alarm/alarm module or “system” to communicate with module operating shutters.
    Lights should be straightforward.
    Control system from ios device – iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.

Hope the above makes sense.

Thanks, in advance
  • MichaelD
    Automated Home Guru
    • Mar 2006

What budget do you have in mind?

Comment

• oldtomated
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by MichaelD View Post
      What budget do you have in mind?
      Thanks for your reply
      Hopefully hundreds rather than too many thousands - I really don't have an upper budget but would prefer to do the install myself together with an electrician friend of mine. Don’t think I’d have a problem setting it up as I previously worked with Homevision and, as mentioned, ActiveHome.

Comment

• MichaelD
        Automated Home Guru
        • Mar 2006

Have a look at Z Wave, making sure you look at an EU supplier, the US uses a different frequency. Although I don't use ZWave (but did use X10), it does seem like the natural successor to X10

Comment

Working...
        X