Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Use cases for 'no optimisation' - please post

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rcopus View Post
    Where you want to control towel radiators.
    Infact I installed my towel rails without any TRVs. That way they warm up even in the summer when the HW cycle comes on. Best way to dry the towels all year round.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    Infact I installed my towel rails without any TRVs. That way they warm up even in the summer when the HW cycle comes on. Best way to dry the towels all year round.
    I can't stand having the bathroom radiator going when unneeded.

My approach is that when the bathroom is likely to be needed (weekday mornings etc) it is scheduled to 20, (which may or may not make the radiator come on depending on the time of the year and ambient conditions) but when someone uses the bathroom for a shower or bath and towels are used I manually turn the radiator up a few degrees (typically to about 24) just before using the shower or bath, and set the timed override to end about 30 minutes after the room will be vacated, including having it run for about 30 minutes after we leave the house on a weekday morning. This seems to be more than sufficient to dry the towels and the room without having it come on any time heating is used elsewhere.

Also remember if you have an S-Plan system with only a hot water zone valve as is often recommended on here, your towel rails will still get hot when the system is re-heating hot water in the summer, and if your boiler applies a flow temperature boost for hot water they may get very hot indeed. Personally I'm not in favour of any radiators in the house heating just because there is a hot water demand. It seems quite wasteful.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    That’s great but doesn’t help people with combi boilers or heating systems designed not to pump hot water around a heating circuit instead of just heating the tank.