What time does your controller think it is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

2-3 mins off here too.

Comment

• HenGus
      Automated Home Legend
      • May 2014

My controller is running +2 mins. Now I know why I hear the HW BDR click on at 5.58 am. The controller hasn’t been re-booted since it was installed 18 months ago. I cannot say that I am that fussed.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

It probably syncs only on boot up and then never again.

Comment

• paulockenden
          Automated Home Legend
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
          It probably syncs only on boot up and then never again.
          That would surely give a range of drifts though.

My current theory is that the online services run on a small cluster rather than an individual server, and one of them has a clock that's wrong. So if your session is locked to that server then your controller clock will be wrong too.

That would explain why some also have an accurate clock.

P.

Comment

• HenGus
            Automated Home Legend
            • May 2014

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
            I am running beta firmware and my time is fine. New FW's rolling out over the next couple of weeks/months. We will monitor this to see if this fixes (assuming issue in first place).

PS The first couple of FW's are maintenance releases (ensuring security/platforms etc), some new features & updates are due after that, pre Winter. As I get more details I will post.
            Is there any way that we could be pre-notified of these updates ahead of the 'push' just in case anything goes wrong?

Comment

• Marty
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Mar 2016

My WiFi unit is two minutes fast.

Firmware versions:- Application 01.00.07.01, WiFi 01.00.06.10

Any update on a fix for this?

Comment

• Shaun Reinson
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Feb 2017

Just noticed the other day that mine is 2 minutes fast as well.....

When is the firmware update due ?

Comment

• Lyndonp
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Sep 2017

Noticed mine was about 4 minutes out and not syncing to the correct time. Having seen this thread I decided to see if was actually syncing with a clock at the wrong time so I set it 10 minutes fast by setting it manually. I then changed it back to auto. After about 24 hours it resynced to the correct time and has stayed like that for over a week now.
                  So not sure what the issue is. Maybe it just stopped syncing with the server clock wherever that may be. Maybe it was a result of the last update which stopped it syncing and needed kicking to sync again as my test did. Will be interesting to see if it keeps the time now.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Lyndonp View Post
                    Noticed mine was about 4 minutes out and not syncing to the correct time. Having seen this thread I decided to see if was actually syncing with a clock at the wrong time so I set it 10 minutes fast by setting it manually. I then changed it back to auto. After about 24 hours it resynced to the correct time and has stayed like that for over a week now.
                    So not sure what the issue is. Maybe it just stopped syncing with the server clock wherever that may be. Maybe it was a result of the last update which stopped it syncing and needed kicking to sync again as my test did. Will be interesting to see if it keeps the time now.
                    Just checked mine and it is 50 seconds behind the correct time, which kind of blows the theory that they are all 2-3 minutes ahead out of the water...

I think it's simply a case that after a while the time sync client in the OS stops working and the time then gradually drifts out, up or down, as you would expect. It doesn't seem to start syncing again until the controller is rebooted, and in my case every time it has been out rebooting gets it back exactly in sync - for a while...

Which way it drifts and by how much is probably temperature dependent as unless it has a thermostatically controlled oven for the main crystal clock (which is highly unlikely) or a temperature compensation system (possible) the clock drift will vary somewhat with ambient temperature.
                    Last edited by DBMandrake; 9 September 2017, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• G4RHL
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jan 2015

Not just 3 minutes fast on the clock, it does switch things on 3 minutes early. I wonder where it gets its time from. I have some lights set to come on at 15 minutes before sunset but one of them is via a different app to the others. Both are set for my home location but that one is a good 5 minutes behind the others so clearly it gets its time from some source that thinks sunset is different to what it is. Presumably it’s the server the panel connects to?

Comment

Working...
                      X