Thread: What alarm and camera system would one install these days.

Automated Home Legend

Default What alarm and camera system would one install these days.

A friend has asked me for my opinion on having an alarm and / or camera system put in. What's out there these days, that has moved on with the times.

10 years ago I installed a Visonic system and then added some IP cameras and they work well. But it needed a lot of hacking to get them integrated into a wider Home Automation system. Surely there must be better stuff available now.

Any opinions.

Automated Home Sr Member

I would approach it from the angle of what is your budget and what do you want it do?

For me I didn't want to spend a fortune, but wanted a system that offered phone and internet control.

I went for a smanos 100 which does the job for me. App isn't bad either- though is s fiddle to pair sensors. Will be much better out there but, not much with phoneline and internet built in.

Automated Home Lurker

Are you looking for a camera outside or something for inside? Going to be completely different if you want an outdoor security setup or something for inside your home.

There are a few here Smart Home Cameras

It seems to be getting increasingly difficult to find cameras that don't lock you in to their paid cloud storage. I looked a few months ago and gave up and stayed with the cameras I already have. But have just bought a Ring Pro doorbell and am wondering if I want to pay £30 per year just to see who I missed at the door.