• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Day Off Setting

Just out of interest I wonder how many use the Quick Menu Day Off setting. It has always struck me as a waste and would be better if it was an additional Custom Menu.
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
    Just out of interest I wonder how many use the Quick Menu Day Off setting. It has always struck me as a waste and would be better if it was an additional Custom Menu.
    There are people that don't use it ??

I use Day Off mode frequently. Every time there is someone home on a normal work day. Like today...or a week day bank holiday.

What I would have liked though is for day off mode to have its own schedule rather than just clone the schedule of one of the days of the week. I have it set to use Saturday's schedule however on a day when one person is staying home and the other is going to work I really need a different schedule to Saturday.

I need the early start from the week day schedule, but with it remaining on through the day like Saturday's schedule. So I end up leaving it on the weekday schedule and then switching to day off around the time when the weekday schedule would have turned things off.

One other thing I would have preferred for Day Off is if it wasn't a quick action at all - it really should be independent of any of the quick actions. For example its not possible to use the eco mode in conjunction with day off, nor is it possible to use the custom action in conjunction with day off mode. (If you think combining day off and custom doesn't make sense, keep in mind that custom is an overlay that only affects zones that are specified in the custom config, so it does make sense for them to be able to work together)

This is an issue if for example I want to use the custom action to go to bed early but have it revert to day off mode at midnight because the following day is a holiday - not possible with the current options...

Comment

• paulockenden
      Automated Home Legend
      • Apr 2015

It's my most frequently used Quick Action.

Comment

• G4RHL
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jan 2015

Interesting two reactions. All down to lifestyle and who is living in the property and when.

There are differences in all my schedules for all zones with respect to time and temperature setting but I have over time tweaked them to our lifestyle which in our case removes the need for a Quick Action. There are occasions from Autumn to Spring when a different setting is desired for a short period for which I can use the Custom Menu but just the one is limiting and I end up doing a temporary physical override instead which is easy for us and usually it is only for one or two zones. Or, as my wife does, adjust the TRV temperature setting which then lasts until the next set point. During the Summer I don’t switch the heating off, i drop the temperature settings in the more often used zones a little and it rarely comes on. Indeed, my energy supplier sent me an email to check my latest reading on the basis it was thought wrong, so little gas had been used. What would be useful would be a couple of Custom Menus, perhaps to have a Winter and a Summer one.

But for us the Day Off setting is of no use. I/we are retired (well I am meant to be but ....!) so each day is the same but for working families perhaps the setting may be of use. More Custom Menus would be of greater use!

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
          But for us the Day Off setting is of no use. I/we are retired (well I am meant to be but ....!) so each day is the same but for working families perhaps the setting may be of use. More Custom Menus would be of greater use!
          I'm assuming you must be retired then ?

Because anyone who is working and leaving the house vacant will surely have their week day schedule set to automatically turn the zones down during the work day, in which case when you have a bank holiday or sick day you will want the heating on on a day that is normally a work day... that is what Day Off mode is for.

It could be a little more flexible though - having its own schedule instead of cloning a day of the week like Saturday, and being a separate toggle to the main quick actions. I find it quite inconvenient if I am off for a couple of weeks to have it in Day Off mode the whole time as that prevents me from using quick actions like Eco or Custom which are mutually exclusive to Day Off mode. (But shouldn't be) It also prevents me from using any timed quick actions such as timed away mode, or timed custom mode because it will revert back to "normal" mode after the timer expires instead of Day Off.
          Last edited by DBMandrake; 20 July 2017, 09:14 AM.

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

I am meant to be retired but find I still work part time (need to!) plus voluntary stuff. But most of the work is done from home.

Perhaps what this is saying to Honeywell is that it is fine having some basic Quick Action Menus but as peoples’ lifestyles are varied and are so for many reasons, not just whether retired or not, then there should be greater facility. More Custom Menus so that people can have their own Quick Actions that better suit their situation. It cannot be difficult to add that to the software?

I find though being able to simply override a TRV manually or via the app is adequate for most of our needs. On a few occasions in the winter a one button override to increase the heating in a number of zones but not all would be useful and simply another to do the opposite. I can play around with the temperature settings in some of the preconfigured Quick Actions but the danger then is forgetting that has been done and/or wanting something different the Action may not provide.

Comment

• JamboV6
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Oct 2017

This is something that bother me too and would love for honeywell to address.
              I work shifts so sometimes the house is empty all day as we are both at work and other times my wife is at work and I'm off, this can include weekends as when I'm working my wife has to do all the child taxiing so using the 'DAY OFF' schedule isn't much use as weekdays are all set the same aimed at the house being empty all day. Saturday and Sunday are set similar but Temps drop off later in the morning and warm up a bit earlier late afternoon.
              Custom is a waste of time because you can't have different Temps in different rooms and times etc. It's a bit of a massive oversight by honeywell, it would be OK on a low zone setup but I'm maxed out and infact need another zone.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Sep 2014

Day off mode definitely needed it's own schedule independent of days of the week. We have week day schedules (all the same) and a Weekend Schedule (saturday/sunday the same)

I work 5 days a week and my other half 4 days, so on the day that she doesn't work, which can vary from week to week, I still need the early on times of the week day schedule, but want the "run all day" part of the weekend schedule. Ideally I could define a day off schedule that was a blend between our weekday and weekend schedules that takes into account that someone is getting up early as normal but someone else is staying home for the day.

What I end up doing is leaving the heating in "Normal" mode overnight, getting up and getting ready then before leaving for work I change it to Day Off mode. Does the job but is kinda clunky as the turning off time of the weekday schedule and turning on time of the weekend schedule don't really line up very well as I'm out of the house during the week before the normal weekend getting up time that the Day Off mode uses.

If her day off during the week was always the same day I could just program that into the schedule but it varies from week to week and occasionally she works 5 days.

Comment

• paulockenden
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Apr 2015

For shift workers, I think it was @Mavis who posted how she'd integrated Evohome with her Google calendar (can't remember how, but probably via IFTT) to read the shift details from the calendar and adjust the heating accordingly.

Seemed like a neat solution.

P.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                    For shift workers, I think it was @Mavis who posted how she'd integrated Evohome with her Google calendar (can't remember how, but probably via IFTT) to read the shift details from the calendar and adjust the heating accordingly.

Seemed like a neat solution.
                    I'm sure I could implement something like that but it's a lot of complexity when all I really want is a Day Off mode that has it's own schedule so I can just press a button to put it into that mode the night before instead of trying to make do with Saturday's schedule...

Better still, multiple, re-nameable, customiseable day off schedules would be brilliant. (Basically the custom action, but with separate schedules for each zone) You can rename the Custom action (bet most people don't know that) but you can't rename the Day Off Schedule. Not that it matters I suppose, when you can only have one of them!

So many lost opportunities to make the system more versatile.

Comment

• paulockenden
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Apr 2015

Oh I agree, I was just pointing out that there's already something that works.

Comment

• Stevedh
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Mar 2017

Does anyone know the actual specs of the controller, is this limitation down to being able to fit it on the controller or just unimaginative software, Really you should be able to have proper alternative named schedules and a few static preset overrides.. sort of like away, but where each room can have a different temperature.
                        I work from home, my wife works some nights, my daughter who is currently living here has some flexibility in her work hours so depending on when people get up etc I could do with changing the settings.. when everyone is up shut down the bedrooms etc..currently override gets a lot of use...

Comment

• guyank
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Sep 2015

I use a SmartThings CoRE piston to select Day Off if anyone is in the house after 0830 on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday when we’re normally all out at work and school. It cancels it at 1700 and if everyone leaves between these times it selects Economy. Day Off could be more flexible but I find this works quite well.

Comment

Working...
                          X