Thread: Data Logging

Automated Home Sr Member

Default Data Logging

I have an Atag iS32 system boiler in S plan controlled by Evohome via Open Therm.

Apart from sitting watching the boiler all day, what options do I have for monitoring / logging fire up times, boiler effort, gas usage, output temps, return temps etc?

Would also be useful to be able to log / monitor the temps in each of my zones to help me understand the dynamics of my system.

Are there any easy ways to do this as a consumer?

Automated Home Ninja

Depends on your definition of easy!

I use Loop for monitoring my gas (and electricity) usage. Getting the data off their platform into your own in an automated way can be a bit of a mission. I haven’t properly attempted this yet.

There is an OpenTherm gateway you can build. You buys the components, etc. online and solder it all together yourself. I’m waiting for the components for mine to arrive any day now. This sits between the boiler and the OT Gateway so adds some latency to the signals although it is claimed this doesn’t cause an issue in practice. Interestingly, you can use this to intercept and rewrite/drop/add messages, so you could use it to cap your flow temperature if you had a naughty boiler, for instance. Electronics and some coding required here depending on how deep you want to go.

Several of us have also built radio receivers to intercept the Evohome comms. This isn’t 100% compatible with OpenTherm yet, but you can see the demands and temperatures from HR92s, wall stats, DHW, etc. Basically, it works fine with BDR-based installs. The only meaningful code for interpreting these messages in built into Domoticz, so you will almost certainly need to have Domoticz running - even if only as a conduit for interpreting messages and getting them into a different platform for graphing, etc. DanD, bruce_miranda and I are working on this stuff, although we’ve all gone a bit quiet for the last few months.

So, most of what you’re asking about is possible - it’s just a question of complexity, your skill set, and how much time and money you want to invest.

Automated Home Sr Member

Thanks.

Has anyone worked out a way to log the data the phone app can see? That might be the easiest way to log room temps etc.

Automated Home Ninja

You can also do that through Domoticz, but you get much less data, AFAIK, because not everything that happens in Evohome gets sent to Honeywell’s servers.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fergie View Post
    Has anyone worked out a way to log the data the phone app can see? That might be the easiest way to log room temps etc.
    There is also the free Conrad Connect service, which has been discussed here:

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...pports-Evohome

That lets you plot the target and actual temperatures of each heating zone but does not enable logging of the hot water.

Automated Home Legend

Domoticz now has an integrated "Hardware Device" that captures and logs everything the phone app can see (Evohome via Web API). But it can see only what the phone app and its API can see. That means that currently there is no way to see Heat Demand messages coming from the various TRVs or going to the boiler.