Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Evohome for new installations?

Automated Home Legend

Would I buy again? Definitely, and recommend it. I installed it December 2014 and no regrets. Initially quirks but some of those were due to constant playing with it and if you set it up and let it alone it does the job. I hear the odd radiator TRV adjust which I suppose is comforting for I know the system is talking to itself but yes, I would like to know in my app which radiator has called for heat. I’d rather have it in the app than on the panel but both ought to be possible already. One day Evohome may appear in Apple HomeKit!

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    One day Evohome may appear in Apple HomeKit!
    I think that would require a new controller, as Homekit needs a special chip. At least, that used to be the case - perhaps things are more relaxed now.

Automated Home Legend

I think it is still the case. LightwaveRF are bringing out a new Hub in order to be HomeKit compliant.

We need the facility of one app does all. HomeKit appears to be heading that way, others try to but fail. Having diffferent apps for heating, lights and devices is silly. Also, we understand it and we like to play but can our partners? What happens as we reach our dotage? One app would help many cope better. My wife does not understand the set up, does not want to understand the setup, but happy that it works and she can press a button. I have had to leave notes for my family in case I peg it first!! To have to switch your iPhone and use 4 different apps for controls is plain silly. But it’s what we have at present.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

But iOS has less than a third of Android's market share, so it would be a lot of work for a minority audience.

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I think that would require a new controller, as Homekit needs a special chip. At least, that used to be the case - perhaps things are more relaxed now.
    According to top brake the chip is no longer required...

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    But iOS has less than a third of Android's market share, so it would be a lot of work for a minority audience.
    Yes, I tend to forget that with my considerable bias for Apple products. Born many years ago because of a reliability that I was not seeing with other gear. But if Evohome Shop is right then perhaps expectations can be better!

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    Yes, I tend to forget that with my considerable bias for Apple products. Born many years ago because of a reliability that I was not seeing with other gear. But if Evohome Shop is right then perhaps expectations can be better!
    Chip is not required - but spec's have yet to be released. If its possible and feasible to do so then HK support will come
    getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Whatever is in development doesn't count until it is released.

I've had Evohome Wifi for nearly 2 years now, in that time we've had two, yes two firmware updates for the controller, only one of which introduced tangible user facing feature changes - displaying HR92 local override on the controller, and a button to clear the fault log book without rebooting the controller, both relatively minor features which to be honest should have been there from day one.

The second update added support for another EU language as the only disclosed feature, and no doubt both updates incorporated some undisclosed bug fixes, but since they're undocumented, we don't know what they might be...

Since the Wifi model was released with the promise of future over the air software update support and some people replaced their older non-wifi model specifically due to that promise of over the air updates (I didn't, the wifi model was my first evohome product) that's a little disappointing to say the least.

Meanwhile other systems like Tado V3 (which a work colleague has, and has shown me) has received more software updates both to the hardware and iPhone app in the last couple of months than Evohome has had in the last 2 years, and to be honest I'm a little envious of some of the features, especially of the iPhone app.

Am I happy with my Evohome as it currently stands ? For the most part yes. It does what it says on the tin, and at the time I bought it it was arguably the best system available.

Am I disappointed that more effort hasn't been made to think outside of the box (such as radical UI redesigns and feature set improvements) and to show a real commitment to push the platform forward and keep ahead of the competition ? Yes.

Would I buy Evohome if I was buying a new house today and decided to leave my existing system with the old house and start over ? I'm not sure. I think I would definitely check out the competition first before making any decision. Things have changed in the market in the last two years and Evohome is no longer the only horse in the race.
    I feel I need to chip in.

Not sure this is entirely fair.
    Since release there has been

- a number of firmware updates, many of which would have given 'invisible' benefits, like hardware & security hardening etc
    - we have changed the UI on the app and refined it based on feedback (not necessarily from those so vocal in this forum)
    - We have added, (and been asked by) significant vendor partnerships, such as Amazon, Google, IFTTT making this part of a wider connected home play should a customer choose. With others planned (Stringify, HK if the specs match)
    - We encouraged other community projects, (windows app, left the API open etc)
    - This is a heating system, not a mobile phone. We only make changes that we are sure of and does not compromise our approach to bringing trusted, easy to use and crafted solutions to your home heating. We never take for granted it is an important investment and we never promise to be first in bringing the whizziest thing. You would be surprised how many customers just set it up and leave it alone - and never scratch the surface of the functionality it has (like being controlled by an app)
    - Future updates are planned (I have visibility of 3 revisions) - Demand per zone is one of them (electric zone support, another custom action, display outdoor temp to name a few). But they have to go through rigorous testing (see above) and we will never knowingly break anything that 'works' to bring these any quicker than already planned. Additionally when we bring them we have to think about the wider audience. Our system is used by a very very very wide range of technically competent people not all of the same level as those in this forum. So how we represent demand for instance needs a lot of care and thought. And I confidently predict we will not keep everyone happy - but we will continue to try.
    - Ref feature updates - I can say we are aiming for this heating season for many of the above.

So Jabes - obviously read what you will, many issues you read about, when you dig into them have a cause not related to evohome. Our competitors suffer the same, so Honeywell does not have a monopoly on this. Only way to get an unbiased view is to get two biased views. So read on, speak to people and more importantly do what you set out to do, and comfortably, reliably and affordably heat your home for you and your family, regardless of what you end up with. Good luck.
    getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
    I feel I need to chip in.

Not sure this is entirely fair.
    Since release there has been

- a number of firmware updates, many of which would have given 'invisible' benefits, like hardware & security hardening etc
    - we have changed the UI on the app and refined it based on feedback (not necessarily from those so vocal in this forum)
    When I said there had only been two firmware updates in the last 2 years I was referring to the main Evotouch controller, and as far as I know this is correct. I've kept track of the version on mine and also kept track of the discussions here about the firmware updates that have been made available, so I stand behind my comment that only two firmware updates have been made publicly available for the controller, and while I'm sure there were bug fixes in both updates the user visible changes are relatively few, the main ones being the local override display and fault logbook clearing button - nice, but neither earth shattering after 2 years.

There have been multiple updates made to the iPhone app in that time yes, once to add support for adjusting schedules, a cosmetic redesign, addition of support for the security products and so on, so yes, the iPhone app has evolved more in the same time than the controller interface.

- We have added, (and been asked by) significant vendor partnerships, such as Amazon, Google, IFTTT making this part of a wider connected home play should a customer choose. With others planned (Stringify, HK if the specs match)
    - We encouraged other community projects, (windows app, left the API open etc)
    This is all good - The API itself is pretty decent and hooks into a good range of external services. I've tested it with an Echo, IFTTT, Conrad Connect, to name a few, as well as using it with Domoticz and the Evohome Munin plugin. No real complaints there, apart from a few useful looking fields like zone heat demand currently existing in the API but not being populated with data.
    - This is a heating system, not a mobile phone. We only make changes that we are sure of and does not compromise our approach to bringing trusted, easy to use and crafted solutions to your home heating. We never take for granted it is an important investment and we never promise to be first in bringing the whizziest thing. You would be surprised how many customers just set it up and leave it alone - and never scratch the surface of the functionality it has (like being controlled by an app)
    I think you've summed up the disconnect between Honeywell and user expectations in a nutshell. It's pretty obvious that Honeywell is an "old school" company who is ultra-conservative in what they do, and I think it's obvious looking at the history of the Evohome products that they were designed as "what you see is what you get" with no real expectation of any major changes to a device from the time you bought it until the time you eventually replaced it with a newer flashier model.

This is no surprise as 10-15 years ago this is how all electronic "appliances" were - they didn't get updates, they just were what they were. (Anyone remember the early TV set top box web browsers in the late 90's ? Good luck updating the browser in one of those... )

Up until the Wifi model there was no officially supported method of updating the firmware on the controller - the firmware version you got when you bought it is what you were stuck with. If you wanted a new version, for example to support the RFG100, which very early versions didn't, you bought a newer controller with the required firmware.

The problem with this is that the expectation of customers has changed in the intervening 15 years. No it's not a smartphone, but smartphones have lead the charge of embedded devices that get major software updates that not only fix bugs and security issues, but add whole new areas of functionality, redesign the user interface, re-imagine the whole product to some degree, within the limitations of the hardware. Just look at the progress of iOS in the last 10 years for an example, as someone who has used iOS since version 1.01 the change has been phenomenal.

This is the world we live in today and in that world two pretty minor firmware updates that aren't much more than bug fixes in 2 years just doesn't cut it - in my opinion of course. And I have looked a bit at the competition to see what they are doing, and some of them are more agile as they come at this from a completely different angle than Honeywell and have very different DNA.

I'm not suggesting new features with reckless abandon and lack of testing, but there has to be some middle ground where even once a year significant new functionality is added that makes a customer think "wow, that's pretty neat that I can do that now" or "that's so much more convenient than the old way of doing that", a couple of possible examples being improvements to the quick actions (which are a bit limited) and making it quicker and easier to do multiple manual overrides, which is painfully cumbersome now. (Want to turn down 7 of your 10 zones to 5 degrees and leave the rest on ? Forget it, too time consuming - quicker to run around the rooms and turn the dials on the HR92's than use the controller touch interface or iPhone app as neither of them has any "apply change to multiple zones" functionality)

- Future updates are planned (I have visibility of 3 revisions) - Demand per zone is one of them (electric zone support, another custom action, display outdoor temp to name a few). But they have to go through rigorous testing (see above) and we will never knowingly break anything that 'works' to bring these any quicker than already planned. Additionally when we bring them we have to think about the wider audience. Our system is used by a very very very wide range of technically competent people not all of the same level as those in this forum. So how we represent demand for instance needs a lot of care and thought. And I confidently predict we will not keep everyone happy - but we will continue to try.
    - Ref feature updates - I can say we are aiming for this heating season for many of the above.
    Demand per zone, electric zone support, improved custom actions and outdoor temperature display will all be welcomed with open arms I'm sure, especially the first two, so if some of these really are happening this winter that is great news indeed.

I don't want to sound like I don't like the system - I do, it works well for me and 2 years ago when I started buying it it was the best system available for a small 10 radiator home at any price if you wanted zoning, remote control, and good temperature regulation accuracy.

I'm just a little frustrated that progress of firmware updates for the controller itself does seem glacially slow in a world where that is not the norm, and faster moving competitors are nipping at Evohome's heels. I see a lot of untapped potential both in terms of functionality and usability that could all be solved with a software update on the existing hardware platform. I think if Honeywell was a little more aggressive at rolling out improvements I wouldn't feel this way.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 31st August 2017 at 01:49 PM.

Automated Home Sr Member

Thanks guys for your comments. I'm moving into a new home in January which is much larger than our current property, and will definitely benefit from zonal temperature control. There are four en-suite bathrooms all with underfloor heating.

So I'm going to be in the market for a system which measures and sets temperature per zone (with radiator TRVs), supports electric underfloor heating (if possible), and certainly nice to have - know when you're coming home (like Tado), or learns your room usage patterns (like Heat Genius).

There is a lot of attracting in a system which is well established and will be supported for a long time (like evohome) - but I am probably more towards the 'cutting edge' and have other 'home automation' products like Hue, Sonos, Alexa, etc.

So I'm a bit torn on where to go - no need to make a decision until the new year but ideally move quite quickly after then as want to optimise my energy costs!