Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hr91

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    How is everyone not excited to see this? Looks like the replacement of Evohome?

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rotor View Post
    How is everyone not excited to see this? Looks like the replacement of Evohome?
    Indeed. It looks like it's compatible with all the existing hardware and includes a repeater.

Now, there's no real reason why a firmware update wouldn't allow a WiFi Evohome controller to work with a Smile Connect repeater. That would be a nice addition.

Automated Home Guru

The biggest thing I noticed is that you specify a range for each room, rather than a specific set temperature (assuming I interpreted that correctly). That would massively help with OpenTherm, no? Not sure how the temperature range works in terms of perceived comfort, but given that all rooms are interconnected, having a room at *exactly* one temperature isn't easily achievable. Makes the system fuzzier, which makes sense to me.

Automated Home Guru

It looks like Smile-Connect is a Honeywell district heating solution: https://products.ecc.emea.honeywell....pg_gr-sdc.html

So, nothing to get too excited about. Just an application of technology into one of there already existing product lines.

Roy.

Smile has been available for years, but the Smile Connect add on appeared about a year ago (or maybe slightly longer).

It is a very powerful unit that has many applications (multiple boiler sequencing, multiple CT/VT circuits, solar heating, to name just a few), using embedded strategies that you can enable in various configurations.

It is most definitely not a DIY install using documentation supplied with the unit. I would suggest it is more like a configurable mini BMS system. The system has its own quirks, and some of the terminology in the manuals is a little unusual which makes the documentation less intuitive to new users. I still have use the manuals to ensure I get everything right even having isntallled/commissioned over a hundred of these (our larger residential installs with multiple boilers or complicated main plant all use Smile).

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

Been itching to get my hands on it for a while, but.. ...... . Market segregation is a PITA.

Have the perfect application for it coming up on a job soon, but will have to make do with heatmiser and a bit of Tupperware.

Can't use evo for wireless issues, plus two boilers controlling two coils independently on a single cylinder.
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)