X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philchillbill
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2017

I heard a HR92 motor whirring today and was surprised as the heating was off. When I looked at it is said comms on the display so I went downstairs to the Evotouch only to find a black screen (I didn't check any other HR92's to see if they also said comms). Only way to reboot it was batteries out/back. Upon reboot it asked for time and timezone. When it was alive again I looked at the firmware version and saw Software 01.00.07.01 and WiFi 01.00.06.10 which seem newer than I remembered so I guess the Evotouch hung after an update. Wouldn't like that happening during winter while I'm off skiing... When it came back, it had random temp settings based neither on my overridden schedule nor any previous manual settings.

What I notice now in the app is that the zones no longer show the economy-active icon on zones that have a permanent override, whereas it used to do this. I also had a HR92 asking for heat even though it was set to 15 deg and the room was at 20 (according to the app). When I looked at the actual HR92 its display said it was asking for 22 (which it decided itself - nobody asked for that). So there was a discrepancy between what the app/evotouch reported and what the HR92 itself inidcated.

Another new intern in the coding or QA departments, Honeywell?

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by philchillbill View Post
      I heard a HR92 motor whirring today and was surprised as the heating was off. When I looked at it is said comms on the display so I went downstairs to the Evotouch only to find a black screen (I didn't check any other HR92's to see if they also said comms). Only way to reboot it was batteries out/back. Upon reboot it asked for time and timezone. When it was alive again I looked at the firmware version and saw Software 01.00.07.01 and WiFi 01.00.06.10 which seem newer than I remembered so I guess the Evotouch hung after an update. Wouldn't like that happening during winter while I'm off skiing...
      Which is why you should enable Fail safe mode in system settings in the winter, particularly if you are going to be away from home. This sets a configuration option in the BDR91's so that if the Evotouch goes AWOL or comms is lost for any reason for approximately an hour the BDR91's will start switching on with a 20% duty cycle - enough to keep your house or pipes from freezing. I just leave fail safe on all the time now as I trust it not to activate when it shouldn't.

HR92's will still work autonomously without the Evotouch as well - it sounds like from what you're saying they went back to 20 degrees when they lost contact, I was under the impression that they stayed at their last configured temperature, however in either case frost protection will still be active on all the HR92's so they will open their radiators to prevent freezing, which in combination with the BDR91 autonomously switching on at a 20% duty cycle should be enough to prevent freezing, certainly of pipes.
      I also had a HR92 asking for heat even though it was set to 15 deg and the room was at 20 (according to the app). When I looked at the actual HR92 its display said it was asking for 22 (which it decided itself - nobody asked for that). So there was a discrepancy between what the app/evotouch reported and what the HR92 itself inidcated.
      If the controller is down for a long time it will resume it's schedule when rebooted however it doesn't seem to send out any set point updates to HR92's until the next scheduled set point change or manual override.

So if your HR92 was set manually to 20 while the controller was off and the controller was then rebooted and the current schedule said 15 for that zone, the controller would continue to indicate 15 while the HR92 stayed on 20 - until the next time that a scheduled change occurred or a manual change was made.

A quick way to get all the set points back in sync is to turn the heating off, wait 5 minutes and turn it back on.

You could argue the controller should send out an immediate set point change to all zones when it boots up, but its not that simple - as it has to wait for the HR92's to "check in" and get their receivers synchronised with the periodic broadcast schedule of the controller. Just sending something to an HR92 won't work if it isn't listening at that moment.
      Last edited by DBMandrake; 15 September 2017, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• dty
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Aug 2016

Wouldn't like that happening during winter while I'm off skiing...
        This worries me too!

Perhaps it would be better if a message came up on the screen telling you that new firmware is available and asking if you'd like to upgrade? It could be accompanied by an email to the account holder too, for those that don't physically look at the controller very often.

Comment

• HenGus
          Automated Home Legend
          • May 2014

Originally posted by dty View Post
          This worries me too!

Perhaps it would be better if a message came up on the screen telling you that new firmware is available and asking if you'd like to upgrade? It could be accompanied by an email to the account holder too, for those that don't physically look at the controller very often.
          I have been saying something similar for a while. Nest owners might also agree:

I don’t buy the argument that ‘it couldn’t happen here’.

Comment

• Rameses
            Industry Expert
            • Nov 2014

I heard a HR92 motor whirring today and was surprised as the heating was off. When I looked at it is said comms on the display so I went downstairs to the Evotouch only to find a black screen (I didn't check any other HR92's to see if they also said comms). Only way to reboot it was batteries out/back. Upon reboot it asked for time and timezone. When it was alive again I looked at the firmware version and saw Software 01.00.07.01 and WiFi 01.00.06.10 which seem newer than I remembered so I guess the Evotouch hung after an update. Wouldn't like that happening during winter while I'm off skiing... When it came back, it had random temp settings based neither on my overridden schedule nor any previous manual settings.

What I notice now in the app is that the zones no longer show the economy-active icon on zones that have a permanent override, whereas it used to do this. I also had a HR92 asking for heat even though it was set to 15 deg and the room was at 20 (according to the app). When I looked at the actual HR92 its display said it was asking for 22 (which it decided itself - nobody asked for that). So there was a discrepancy between what the app/evotouch reported and what the HR92 itself inidcated.

Another new intern in the coding or QA departments, Honeywell?
            If it did happen then the following are in place

- HR92's, have built in frost protection
            - HR92's have built in fail safe mode (as per DMB's post) - they cycle - and open to achieve 21 degrees as a safety measure (this should be on by default)
            - BDR91 has built in 'comms lost' mode - will cycle and achieve 20% heat in the event of comms failures
            All of this is independent of evohome main controller

Your firmware is out of date - seems like an issue with your unit - log a call, supply the MAC address and the unit will get a manual update pumped to it.
            getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• dty
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
              BDR91 has built in 'comms lost' mode - will cycle and achieve 20% heat in the event of comms failures
              Does the OpenTherm Bridge do this too?

Comment

• HenGus
                Automated Home Legend
                • May 2014

- HR92's, have built in frost protection
                - HR92's have built in fail safe mode (as per DMB's post) - they cycle - and open to achieve 21 degrees as a safety measure (this should be on by default)
                - BDR91 has built in 'comms lost' mode - will cycle and achieve 20% heat in the event of comms failures
                All of this is independent of evohome main controller

Your firmware is out of date - seems like an issue with your unit - log a call, supply the MAC address and the unit will get a manual update pumped to it.
                My controller is showing the same firmware. If there has been a PUSH update recently then it hasn't arrived here: App 07.01 Wifi 06.10

What are the latest firmware versions?
                Last edited by HenGus; 15 September 2017, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• dty
                  Automated Home Ninja
                  • Aug 2016

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
                  What are the latest firmware versions?
                  Public release notes would be nice so we could check these things for ourselves, wouldn't they?

Comment

• HenGus
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • May 2014

Originally posted by dty View Post
                    Public release notes would be nice so we could check these things for ourselves, wouldn't they?
                    I have just called Support and a very nice lady seemed to be rather surprised that I was calling about an Evotouch update when I wasn’t actually having any issues. (I didn’t mention an ongoing- but occasional - comms loss with the HR92 sensor in Bed 5. )

Comment

• sharpener
                      Automated Home Sr Member
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                      Which is why you should enable Fail safe mode in system settings in the winter, particularly if you are going to be away from home. ...I just leave fail safe on all the time now as I trust it not to activate when it shouldn't.
                      Unfortunately I have had too many experiences of unexplained activation of the BDR91 when there is no heat demand to feel safe doing that.

... BDR91 has built in 'comms lost' mode - will cycle and achieve 20% heat in the event of comms failures

All of this is independent of evohome main controller (my emphasis)
                      Is this still true if you have turned off the Fail Safe mode in the controller settings? If so then what is the point of this option? As I have an over-sized boiler a BDR91 duty cycle of 20% is probably sufficient to heat the whole house to a default steady state temp of 21 degrees, but I wouldn't want that to be happening when the house was unoccupied as it would cost a fortune in oil. Which is why I turned it off (or so I had thought).

Comment

• FullBore
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Jan 2016

Just received an email reading:-

Information regarding recent performance issues to your connected services

Hello

We are currently experiencing some issues with the performance of our connected services.
                        Some users are having to try multiple times to log-in to their service and are experiencing slower response times.

These are being investigated and we apologise for any inconvenience.
                        Thank you for your understanding
                        Honeywell Total Connect Comfort Team
                        That's certainly better PR - thank you.

FB

Comment

• philchillbill
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                          So if your HR92 was set manually to 20 while the controller was off and the controller was then rebooted and the current schedule said 15 for that zone, the controller would continue to indicate 15 while the HR92 stayed on 20 - until the next time that a scheduled change occurred or a manual change was made.
                          That's a reasonable explanation - thanks. However, nobody touched any HR92's between the crash of the Evotouch and its reboot, so the random assignment to demanding 22 came out of nowhere, apparently.

I was aware of the fail-safe fallback option being a theoretical safeguard against the Evotouch dying and I have it set to 'on'. The cynic in me, however, assumes that if the Evotouch can crash and not do what it's intended to do then the BDR91 and R8810A1018 (what a lovely name the opentherm module has) can also misbehave...

Comment

• mart1711
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Oct 2016

Echoing other sentiments on the thread - being able to control the system through a web browser is a nice (and welcome) feature. Thank you.

Appreciate this is not high on the list in importance, especially offset against ongoing login issues, but I was disappointed to see that even in the web browser I'm unable to type a target temperature. I.e. if I want to bring a room up from 10 deg - 23 deg I'll have to click on the plus symbol 26 times when all that I really want is to enter a value of 23 (this is one of the reasons I use the evohome python client to control the system through the API, allowing me to type temperatures as I need them. No logon issues either )

So, minor peeve. Am I the only one who would like to see a temperature input field rather than just the +/- controls?

Comment

• MrBoy
                              Automated Home Guru
                              • May 2017

Sorry to be a dumbo but I'm interested in EvoHome - is TCC the individual radiator valve controller? So this is saying the data/control for individual valves is now opened up via the hub?

Comment

• philchillbill
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Jan 2017

TCC is Honeywell's "Total Connect Comfort" which is the branding they use for the web-portal behind Evohome and for the Evohome app. You can now control radiator valves from the web-portal and not just the app - that's what this thread is all about.

Comment

Working...
                                X