Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evohome - Tracking/Graphing Temperatures

Automated Home Guru

I went to the Screwfix show in Farnborough last Friday. I always make my way to the smart home vendors stands for obvious reasons. I usually berate Danfoss for not having an up-to-date Evohome type system but I found thay have introuced their Wiser sytem now.

Of course, the first comment I made was to complain about Evohome's lack of a zone demand indicator and the fist thing he showed me was that very feature in the form of a small flame icon! I won't comment on the rest of it's features except to say that it totally relies on a mobile phone controller and does not have a physical controller like Evohome. I don't like that at all. Interestingly, the actuators work on 2.4Ghz and they can talk to each other directly and extend coverage using this peerto-peer capability. According to the salesman that is. Oh, and the actuators retail at only 34 - now that is nice!
    Last edited by chrisgare; 3rd October 2017 at 09:47 AM.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgare View Post
    I went to the Screwfix show in Farnborough last Friday. I always make my way to the smart home vendors stands for obvious reasons. I usually berate Danfoss for not having an up-to-date Evohome type system but I found thay have introuced their Wiser sytem now.

Of course, the first comment I mad was complain about Evohome's lack of a zone demand indicator and the fist thing he showed me was that very feature in the form of a small flame icon. I won't comment on the rest of it's features except to say that it totally relies on a mobile phone controller and does not have a physical controller like Evohome. I don't like that at all. Interestingly, the actuators work on 2.4Ghz and they can talk to each other directly and extend coverage using this peerto-peer capability. According to the salesman that is. Oh, and the actuators retail at only 34 - now that is nice!

https://wiser.draytoncontrols.co.uk/radiator-thermostat

An interesting proposition. 229.99 for a system kit including an open therm module and 2 radiator thermostats.

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgare View Post
    Interestingly, the actuators work on 2.4Ghz and they can talk to each other directly and extend coverage using this peerto-peer capability.
    The whole mesh thing is interesting (especially for me as I have quite a large house in which the Evohome signal struggles to reach the extremities), but it will kill battery performance because the radios have to be listening the whole time for messages to relay. Unless the entire system is synchronised, I suppose - a bit like the Evohome radiator valves known exactly when the controller will want to send a message and turn on just in time to receive it. You could have the whole mesh power down until a known time. But... then if you had something at the far end and it wanted to transmit (say a heat demand, or an override), it would have to wait for the mesh to power up before it could be certain of getting its message through to the controller.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dty View Post
    The whole mesh thing is interesting (especially for me as I have quite a large house in which the Evohome signal struggles to reach the extremities), but it will kill battery performance because the radios have to be listening the whole time for messages to relay. Unless the entire system is synchronised, I suppose - a bit like the Evohome radiator valves known exactly when the controller will want to send a message and turn on just in time to receive it. You could have the whole mesh power down until a known time. But... then if you had something at the far end and it wanted to transmit (say a heat demand, or an override), it would have to wait for the mesh to power up before it could be certain of getting its message through to the controller.
    I agree but he also stated that the battery life was a minimum of 2 years like Evohome.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andehh View Post
    I know this has been asked before & I know there are several work arounds, but...why are they not able to see what/when/why a zone is calling for heat & being able to track this from within Evohome.
    I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but in the interests of not spawning another can anyone point me in the direction of these workarounds please? I haven't found reference to solutions in this forum as yet (still looking though).

Thanks.

Automated Home Guru

I think they're probably referring to the use of the Honeywell HGI80 USB device (or similar) combined with the home automation software Domoticz. With this set-up you're able to see the heat demand from each zone via the Domoticz device dashboard. Here's a link to the original thread discussing this from last year:

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...-functionality

Dan
    Last edited by DanD; 11th October 2017 at 04:50 PM.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    I think they're probably referring to the use of the Honeywell HGI80 USB device (or similar) combined with the home automation software Domoticz. With this set-up you're able to see the heat demand from each zone via the Domoticz device dashboard. Here's a link to the original thread discussing this from last year:

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...-functionality

Dan
    Thank you Dan.