Evohome - Lost comms with pretty much everything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garmcqui
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jan 2015

Evohome - Lost comms with pretty much everything?

Hi,

My parents have an Evohome system installed, 4 Zones, DHW and gateway.

This morning they woke up to no heat, no hot water and solid red light on the wireless relay for DHW. The controller had lost comms with all 4 zones as well as the DHW sensor and a comms test to both the DHW relay and the heating demand relay failed.

Seems very strange.

I got dad to take the batteries out of the controller for a few minutes and reinsert them. On coming back up, it has synced with 2 of the 4 zones but still no comms with the DHW sensor or either BDR91.

I talked him through holding the button on the BDR91's down for 15 sec to remove binding, then re-binding them to the controller. This seemed to work, the boiler fired up and they got heat in the two rooms which had synced.

Just looking for opinions on what could have happened, and what the best way is to fix it? I would rather not have to resort to a factory reset and talk my aging parents through rebinding all devices by phone (I live hundreds of miles away).

Thanks,

Any help appreciated.

Gareth
  • Rameses
    Industry Expert
    • Nov 2014

Anything in the event log?
    getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• garmcqui
      Automated Home Guru
      • Jan 2015

didn't think of that, hehe. Will have to get them to look when I get home from work. Ta

Comment

• MrShamus
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Feb 2015

I had a very similar scenario a few weeks back... Took me a while to figure it out but it turned out to be the batteries in the DHW sensor. As soon as I replaced the batteries in the DHW sensor the CH zones started to started to sync back up correctly. I think I only stumbled upon the DHW batteries being the problem after restarting the Evohome controller a few times and then at one point there was a pop up box indicating that the DHW batteries were low. Up until that point there were no errors logged or any other indication of the issue.

Comment

• HenGus
          Automated Home Legend
          • May 2014

Originally posted by garmcqui View Post
          didn't think of that, hehe. Will have to get them to look when I get home from work. Ta
          Pulling out the batteries will, of course, have cleared the original fault log.

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
            Pulling out the batteries will, of course, have cleared the original fault log.
            Not if its a Wifi model with current firmware versions.

One of the changes in the firmware update that added the "Clear Fault Logbook" button is that faults are kept across reboots. Previously there was no clear button and rebooting was the only way to clear the faults.

I've got faults from several months ago still in my fault log book and the controller has been rebooted a couple of times since then.

Comment

• garmcqui
              Automated Home Guru
              • Jan 2015

Ok, have spent about 6hrs last night and this morning trying to make sense of what is going on by phone and by facetime. Long story short - I can't!

After trying everything else, my last resort was to do a factory reset on the controller. However even after that things are not going well.

I talked dad through the guided configuration (being sure to clear all binding on both BDR91's with a 15sec button push), bound the boiler relay, DHW sensor and DHW relay successfully (or so it said).

But when we tried to switch on the hot water, nothing happened - neither relay came on (despite the water temp only being 31C). Then tried a comms test to the boiler relay, no response. Tried the DHW and got excellent the first time but nothing the second time. After a while, both relays were showing red lights.

Also tried binding the controller to the Y87rf/HR92 sensor/valve combo in the living room (thinking at least I can leave them with one room warm) and it wouldn't bind to the room sensor (tried holding the left touch pad down for 10 sec, then a further 10 sec to clear previous binding first) and it wouldn't bind to that either.

I am worried it may be a fault with the controller itself, as it seems to be the only common factor. This is the details displayed after the factory reset (and long battery removal), is it correct?

IMG_2355.jpg

What would you do next? I'm sure Honeywell won't be interested in helping, as I'm not an installer.

PS: I am 100% confident the system is installed correctly (physically) as it's been working flawlessly for over a year now.
              Last edited by garmcqui; 21 September 2017, 09:09 AM.

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Jun 2012

I would suggest faulty BDR's. Can you post wide angle pics of them in situ?
                Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• HenGus
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • May 2014

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                  Not if its a Wifi model with current firmware versions.

One of the changes in the firmware update that added the "Clear Fault Logbook" button is that faults are kept across reboots. Previously there was no clear button and rebooting was the only way to clear the faults.

I've got faults from several months ago still in my fault log book and the controller has been rebooted a couple of times since then.
                  Thanks. I hadn't picked that up from the Release Notes.

Comment

• garmcqui
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Jan 2015

The Evohome controller is not the WiFi version, it's the earlier one with separate gateway.

The BDR's are mounted approx 600mm apart, on brick wall. See photo...

IMG_2358.jpg

Does the software versions etc look ok on the last photo I attached? The dates don't seem too recent? Or how do I check firmware version?

Thanks,

Gareth

Comment

• HenGus
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • May 2014

Originally posted by garmcqui View Post
                      The Evohome controller is not the WiFi version, it's the earlier one with separate gateway.

The BDR's are mounted approx 600mm apart, on brick wall. See photo...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1078[/ATTACH]

Does the software versions etc look ok on the last photo I attached? The dates don't seem too recent? Or how do I check firmware version?

Thanks,

Gareth
                      Give Honeywell Evohome Support a call. They are extremely good at helping people resolve issues with Evohome. I wouldn’t worry about the firmware. I had the Gateway model for 2 years and there was no downloadable content for it either via the Gateway or the USB connection.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Sep 2014

Thanks. I hadn't picked that up from the Release Notes.
                        There were release notes ?

Comment

• HenGus
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • May 2014

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                          There were release notes ?
                          Irony - the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning.

Comment

• paulockenden
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Apr 2015

Have you tried moving the controller to closer (maybe a couple of meters away) to the BDRs? Just to eliminate comms issues?

Comment

• DBMandrake
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Sep 2014

Irony - the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning.
                              Winking icon - the use of imagery to hint at the use of irony.

Comment

Working...
                              X