Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Evohome Thermostat model variations?

Automated Home Jr Member

When we bought we didn't price shop, I asked you and your team questions and my son placed the order with you. I had to persuade your team to give me access to your buyers only forum as I wanted the most information I could get before parting with a considerable amount of money.

I remember being a little peeved that you had a closed area on your forum, but having read this thread I see your dilemma.

If you are loosing too many sales to box shifters you will have to amend your pricing policy, or negotiate with your suppliers - after all you are doing some of Honeywell's job for them.

There is excellent advice on this forum, but having the ability to question a real person who gives knowledgeable answers is valuable.

Maybe you could give buyers say 15 minutes of free support and then charge modestly for your further time - maybe a premium rate number. You might then even be able to profit from those who buy elsewhere.

Tony

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

Oh dear....

............👉Point
    👈........ Head

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
    Price is not the be all and end all.
    Really? I dont have much money unfortunately so when there is £30 difference on the kit, i dont see why anyone would willingly pay more for the same product.

UseIP sell ip cameras competitivley priced, good site. They also have a very useful open forum.

Anyway, back to the topic, thanks for the info Dan, Honeywell also confirmed its down to the marketting but both are same products.

Take care everyone.

If one doesn't have much money, one must prioritise one's purchases. Is a luxury multi zone touchscreen Heating controller needed?

I spend a lot of money each month (relatively) through the business. I choose where possible, to support small businesses, such as the the family run Evohome Shop. I could get the kit cheaper elsewhere, but I would rather encourage small enterprises that offer superior support and service. Yes it impacts my bottom line, but then, as a small business myself, I hope my customers work on the same principle. Otherwise the world will be full of Uber, Ikea and Amazon. What a soulless God forsaken place the world would be....

Did you know that you use a UK Ikea catalogue to guide you through the Japanese version? Depressing isn't it?
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
    If one doesn't have much money, one must prioritise one's purchases. Is a luxury multi zone touchscreen Heating controller needed?

I spend a lot of money each month (relatively) through the business. I choose where possible, to support small businesses, such as the the family run Evohome Shop. I could get the kit cheaper elsewhere, but I would rather encourage small enterprises that offer superior support and service. Yes it impacts my bottom line, but then, as a small business myself, I hope my customers work on the same principle. Otherwise the world will be full of Uber, Ikea and Amazon. What a soulless God forsaken place the world would be....

Did you know that you use a UK Ikea catalogue to guide you through the Japanese version? Depressing isn't it?
    One has recently moved to a large house so money is tight this month. But either way, spending more money on the exact same thing makes no sense.
    Anyway, irrelevant and pointless conversation..
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrman365 View Post
    so when there is £30 difference on the kit, i dont see why anyone would willingly pay more for the same product.
    There isn't a £30 price difference though (We are £204 and they are £197.99) and these companies don't do anymore than provide you a box with goods in it?

You have made an interesting point of view for us to consider and good luck with your future customer journey with these companies...

Never let the facts get in the way of a good gripe .

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
    We don't intentionally try to be more expensive, but try calling Amazon at 5pm on a Friday for technical support or setup help and see how far you get...

Leads me on to a question... Do I match these prices and end my technical help?
    The Evohome shop has a brilliant brand name. I had no idea that it is a ‘family-run small business’ until Dan wrote that above. I had assumed that it is owned by Honeywell as its official outlet and customer support forum. Now I understand that you have a hugely valuable asset and unique selling point (USP) in your brand name and Honeywell’s agreement to you using that.

However, if you are to make money out of that USP, your business needs to project itself clearly as one of the following:

• Plumbing and heating technician;
    • Shopkeeper; or
    • Customer support

I would be surprised if a small family business has skillsets in, and energy for, all three of those in equal measure. They require very different skills and expertise. This thread has highlighted the challenges to you succeeding and profiting as a shopkeeper given the competition. Perhaps the other two might offer greater opportunities for differentiation and exploiting your brand name?

Remember Richard is not selling just to the general public.

There is a closed forum for a reason - things get discussed in there that directly impinge on safety matters in relation to boilers. It is not a unique thing and many forums have closed sections for professionals to discuss matters. (it also helps to have somewhere where we can moan about customers too .

Richard does well precisely because he is a mixture of those 3 things - although granted he needs to control the tech support side of it a bit. Our industry is saturated with muppets and charlatans; as well as merchants with massive staff turnover and poor knowledge. Having a trustworthy supplier who knows whats what is worth a few percent here and there.

Like I said before. Price isn't everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh2000 View Post
    The Evohome shop has a brilliant brand name. I had no idea that it is a ‘family-run small business’ until Dan wrote that above. I had assumed that it is owned by Honeywell as its official outlet and customer support forum. Now I understand that you have a hugely valuable asset and unique selling point (USP) in your brand name and Honeywell’s agreement to you using that.

However, if you are to make money out of that USP, your business needs to project itself clearly as one of the following:

• Plumbing and heating technician;
    • Shopkeeper; or
    • Customer support

I would be surprised if a small family business has skillsets in, and energy for, all three of those in equal measure. They require very different skills and expertise. This thread has highlighted the challenges to you succeeding and profiting as a shopkeeper given the competition. Perhaps the other two might offer greater opportunities for differentiation and exploiting your brand name?
    Maybe a little detail about us then - https://theevohomeshop.co.uk/content/4-about-us

But, no we are not owned in anyway by Honeywell and the support we give is entirely off our own back. We are a family business and have small business values. I have a fairly decent skillset based on the fact I have been in the industry a long time and a good understanding for business.

I am always looking to see how I can better the business, so always appreciate peoples feedback.