X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jackthom
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2017

Bruce I've also been keen on tackling ebus control of my boiler for some time but somehow never got round to buying any gear to set up monitoring of the protocols.
    If you are likely soon to be selling the full set of controls I would be interested to hear from you.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2014

I have a spare brand new VR65+VR10 and a used VRT360F available now if you want.

Comment

• Jackthom
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
        I have a spare brand new VR65+VR10 and a used VRT360F available now if you want.
        Does the VRT360F come complete with the receiver?

I think I would need a receiver which can be wired into ebus. I doubt my boiler will take a plug in panel Rx.

Let me know what you would like for the gear and I'll get back to you.
        Last edited by Jackthom; 10 January 2018, 03:30 PM.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2014

Yes ofcourse both the transmitter and receiver are included in the VRT360F, one without the other is useless.

Comment

• Jackthom
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Dec 2017

Sale now agreed and swapping details via PM.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
              Automated Home Legend
              • Mar 2017

Just installed a VR66 and a VRT350F on a job today, first time i've installed one. Got DHW priority set up with the VR10 sensor. Does anyone know what the hot water differential temperature is on these? As usually the Vaillant books are least helpful. From what I can figure it's 5oc, however if possible i'd like to increase it due to a circulating return. However can't see any options in the controller or boiler settings to do this.

EDIT: Just found it in one of the manuals, it is 5oc but looks like no option to change it.
              Last edited by mtmcgavock; 10 January 2018, 09:33 PM.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jul 2014

Yes no option to change the 5C diff. Its fixed that way because if you wanted no time control, you could run the set up without the VRT350F. The boiler then kicks into HW heating mode everytime the 5C diff is sensed by the VR10.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Mar 2017

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                  Yes no option to change the 5C diff. Its fixed that way because if you wanted no time control, you could run the set up without the VRT350F. The boiler then kicks into HW heating mode everytime the 5C diff is sensed by the VR10.
                  Surely you’d have to have some sort of Vaillant controller to control everything though? As there’s no S/L options on the VR66

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jul 2014

You should use a Vaillant control, but you don't need to. You can run things with just the Vaillant wiring box. In that case CH will always be running until the return catches up with the flow max set on the boiler and HW will kick in whenever the diff drops below 5C below the HW set on the boiler.

Comment

• Jackthom
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Dec 2017

Bruce I understand you have figured out the ebusctl write command to switch your vaillant boiler in and out of DHW mode and wondered if you might be able to shed some light on doing this.
                      I spent some time grabbing data while the VR65 with NTC was clearly giving the boiler this command and so far haven't figured out what many of those grabbed exchanges are actually doing.

I have managed to write to bai FlowsetHcMax and could use this for setting sensible flow temps for Heating and Hot Water but would really love to bring the DHW pot on the boiler into operation.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jul 2014

if you already have the VR65 and the VR10, then the boiler should already allow usage of both dials. What controller are you using?
                        I don't use a VR65 or a VR10 because I have Evohome. What I was trying to do is to use the HW dial when Evohome was heating HW. And while I succeeded in working out the commands, the fact that the OT is sending/repeating a command every 5 seconds means my command is overridden in a matter of seconds.
                        My new solution is to vary the FlowsetHcMax as required depending on what the Evohome is doing and that works well.
                        Last edited by bruce_miranda; 27 January 2018, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• Jackthom
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Dec 2017

I guess you were sending Opentherm commands to the VR33 to switch the boiler to DHW while I’d like to find the raw Vaillant equivalent hex.
                          I have the VR65 with ntc and the 350f attached at present, just for experimenting, along with ebusd on a raspberry pi.
                          As you say, changing the FlowsetHcMax will probably do what I really need but would’ve liked to also have the option of directly controlling the boiler changes to/from DHW mode if possible, without the use of any other Vaillant controls.
                          I’ll have another monitoring session or two and try to figure out exactly what’s being sent on the bus.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jul 2014

I wasn't sending any OT commands because currently I have no way of monitoring or controlling OT directly. I was sending raw eBUS commands.
                            If you are using the 350F+VR65+VR10 then you should already have everything you need to use the two controls. Both your boiler controls need to be set to max. Turn all demand off from the controller. Then using the HW boost function on the controller turn just the HW heating on. You will notice the tap icon appear on the boiler and the flow temperature will ramp up all the way to 80C. Whereas if you use the CH demand only the radiator icon will show up on the boiler and flow temperatures will only ramp up to whatever the max is set to, normally 70-75C.

Comment

• Jackthom
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Dec 2017

I've had another run and the Vaillant controls certainly do operate as you describe.

The interesting unidentified commands such as

unknown MS cmd: 1008b512020064 / 00 ,

which seems to occur whether heating or DHW has just been switched on, are producing the same replies when issued from an ebusctl hex command but with no obvious change of state at the boiler.

Comment

• fezster
                                Automated Home Sr Member
                                • Dec 2017

Jackthom, what interface are you using from the Raspberry PI to the boiler?

I've been looking at building a relay using an arduino to monitor my DHW motorised valve, using an opto-isolator to separate the 240V of the valve to the 5V of the arduino. This is doable, but my next step would be to then send the appropriate ebus command to boost the HW temperature to 80 degrees. Hence the question.

I'd also need to have the device send an ebus command periodically to set the flow temp lower, otherwise the boiler will always fire at whatever is set on the dial on the front panel. All of this is more of a learning exercise for me, but if I can get some practical benefit, all the better. It'd be nice to be able to run the boiler at lower temps during the summer, whilst still ensuring the HW cylinder is heated appropriately to 65 degrees.

Comment

Working...
                                X