• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • willdonal
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Oct 2017

All radiators either on or off

Hello folk, I had the Honeywell evohome system fitted a few days ago. The problem I have is when any of the 14 radiators demand the heating to be switched on, I turned some up to see if it all worked, then all the radiators come on even though the rest of the HR92 radiator controllers are set to 10. In fact yesterday when I switched the water on to boost the temperature via the app, again all the radiators came on. Then to cap it all off when I switched the heating off via the app it stayed on. I had to switch it off via the wireless relay box. Everything is bonded correctly as far as I can be sure, I can set a certain radiator to say 22 on the evohome controller and when I check that radiator it is reading 22. Is this a wiring up problem, a bonding problem or a boiler problem. Thank-you in advance
  • Dan_Robinson
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Jun 2012

You probably haven't fitted the heads to the valve bodies correctly.

Unclip each one in turn, wind the black wheel fully anti clockwise, then clip the head back on.
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• willdonal
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Oct 2017

Hello Dan, thanks for the prompt reply. I have unscrewed all and turned the big black wheel anti clockwise like you said. Unfortunately it has had little effect. After having to switch the heating off yesterday at the wireless relay I had to switch it back on again by pressing the button and the green light came on. Now the heating is on and all 14 radiators are pumping out as much heat as they can. Is it maybe a case of factory reset and start again? Thanks

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Jun 2012

Depends on what the HR92's think they're doing. Go into the settings and see what the valve position is registering as. If its 0, then you might have duff valve bodies.

Either that or the system is installed incorrectly. It's unlikely that you have 14 faulty HR92's.

How old were the valves you have attached the heads onto?

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

Was compatibility with the valve bodies checked properly by the installer ? Did they even test it was working properly before leaving ?

Do you know what brand/type of valve bodies you have and are they old or fairly new ? Can you unscrew the black and white plastic wheel unit completely and take a picture of the valve body underneath - and also of one of your old manual TRV heads that were removed if you still have one sitting around.

There's no way this will be a configuration problem - the HR92 is physically not able to push the pin down properly to shut the valve off, most likely because the valve bodies aren't compatible or need an adaptor. Pictures would definitely help diagnose this.

Comment

• willdonal
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Oct 2017

Hello Dan, The house was built 10 years ago. I have someone coming on Thursday to check it all out. When I went in to settings the valve position was 0. that was when the valve was off the radiator. When it was back on the radiator I couldn't get in to the settings apart from RF check, bond and exit. Thanks for your help :-)

Comment

• willdonal
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Oct 2017

Hello, I fitted the valves to the radiators myself. Pretty straight forward process. The installer was scratching his head as much as I was. As far as he was concerned all is OK. I only discovered the problem the following day when mucking around with the controller. Thanks for your time20171002_125512.jpg20171002_125548.jpg

Comment

• HenGus
                Automated Home Legend
                • May 2014

This might seem like a stupid question but ‘have the HR92s been allocated to zones’?

Comment

• willdonal
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Oct 2017

Hi, yes all the HR82's have been allocated to their own zone, well 12 zones. The 2 radiators in the Living room have been combined in to 1 zone as is the two in the kitchen/dining room.

Comment

• HenGus
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • May 2014

Originally posted by willdonal View Post
                    Hi, yes all the HR82's have been allocated to their own zone, well 12 zones. The 2 radiators in the Living room have been combined in to 1 zone as is the two in the kitchen/dining room.
                    Very strange then. I would be thinking about a full re-set/re-build of the system.

Comment

• willdonal
                      Automated Home Sr Member
                      • Oct 2017

Hello, I was thinking of doing the full reset. I have someone coming down on Thursday so I will see what he comes up with. Thanks for the help.

Comment

• roydonaldson
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Jan 2013

I had this exact problem when I put my EvoHome system in. I thought I had the valve adaptor seated corrrectly, but didn't. When any room would call for heat, the main livig room radiator would heat up, no matter how much I turned it down. It was the valve adaptor not being fully fitted all the way down.

Comment

• willdonal
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by roydonaldson View Post
                          I had this exact problem when I put my EvoHome system in. I thought I had the valve adaptor seated corrrectly, but didn't. When any room would call for heat, the main livig room radiator would heat up, no matter how much I turned it down. It was the valve adaptor not being fully fitted all the way down.
                          Thanks Roy, Great surname by the way. same as mine :-) :-) I will try and reseat them all. I did think when fitting them they didn't look as if they had much of a contact to the radiator valve. If I don't get any joy I will get this guy coming down on Thursday to check it out :-) :-)

Comment

• DBMandrake
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Sep 2014

Those look like Danfoss valves - they are not compatible with an HR92 without the appropriate adaptor - do you have an adaptor fitted between the HR92's black wheel unit and the valve body, something like these ?

The HR92 natively fits M30 x 1.5 threaded valve bodies but that's not what you have.

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
                              Automated Home Ninja
                              • Jun 2012

He won't have got them on at all without adapters 😂

Comment

Working...
                              X