• Show
Clear All
  • firefocks2k
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2017

Evohome Family Space With Radiator & Radiator & KickSpace\Plinth Heater

Hi All,

HR92 & HR92 & BDR91

My 1st post although I have been lurking a while. I really need some help.

We just knocked three rooms into one, Lounge, dinning, kitchen. I now have two Rads with HR92 and they work great, I wanted, for the colder months, and additional "Wet" KickSpace\Plinth Heater just in case. Its all plumbed in and works with the switches on the front.

The Smiths SS5 https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/s...plinth-heater/

It only runs when it has hot water running through it, but that means it will run when heating say a Bedroom. So knowing they need a little mains electric for the fan I figured I could stick a BDR91 on the ZONE and it will come on with the Zone when the Rad Valves call for heat.

It's wired in, It's synced. There are no errors but when the family space Rads are calling for heat and getting hot the BDR91 will not activate to give power to the plinth heater.

Pressing the override on the BDR91 gives the plinth heater power.

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave.
    Last edited by firefocks2k; 3 October 2017, 08:54 PM.
  • Dan_Robinson
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Jun 2012

Would be much easier to plumb a straight trv to the heater with an hr92 on it.
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• firefocks2k
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
      Would be much easier to plumb a straight trv to the heater with an hr92 on it.
      Thanks for the swift answer

Probably if I had done this from the start then it would be but now the kitchen is in I cant really get to the plumbing. I can however get to the power.
      Can it be done?

Dave.

Comment

• firefocks2k
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Oct 2017

Anyone?
        Can I slave a BDR91 to a Radiator Zone?

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by firefocks2k View Post
          Anyone?
          Can I slave a BDR91 to a Radiator Zone?
          If you mean can you have a BDR91 dedicated to control a zone which also has HR92 radiator controllers, then no you can't.

You can have a zone where the actuator is controlled by a BDR91 (A "zone valve" zone type in the zone configuration) but not in combination with HR92's in the same zone. It's one or the other.

Comment

• firefocks2k
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Oct 2017

Thanks for that answer.

OK, that's an issue 'cos all the plumbing is done and a kitchen has been fitted on top

Is there a way, perhaps by consuming another zone? I guess the issue is that the BDR91 has no Thermostat.

Dave.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
              Automated Home Legend
              • Mar 2017

Why don't you have a BDR91 and a thermostat to control the Kickspace heater? If you had a thermostat it would then control the BDR91 and solve your issues...

Comment

• DBMandrake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by mtmcgavock View Post
                Why don't you have a BDR91 and a thermostat to control the Kickspace heater? If you had a thermostat it would then control the BDR91 and solve your issues...
                The issue is that he also has HR92 controlled radiators in the same room and you can't do a hybrid zone that has both a zone valve actuator and a radiator valve actuator, even if you use an external wall thermostat.

So you would have to configure the plinth as a separate zone to the HR92's in the same room, with a separate temperature sensor and ensure that their schedules tracked each other so that one or the other wasn't doing all the work. As well as wasting one of the 12 available zones it would be rather messy to control IMHO. You really don't want two different control loops (plinth and HR92s) competing with each other in the same room.
                Last edited by DBMandrake; 22 October 2017, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Mar 2017

Yes that's what I meant, you could only do it as a separate zone. It may waste a zone, but I don't see why it would be messy? You can easily copy the schedule from one zone to another. If the room is over a large enough area I don't see why it should be an issue in regards to temperature control - maybe if it was right next to a HR92 then you might have an issue. I have two HR92s in a dinning and kitchen area set up as two separate zones and don't have any issues (Although I keep meaning to combine them ).

Comment

Working...
                  X