Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Evohome CS92 troubles

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by SensibleHeatUK View Post
    Do check the requirements for other properties other than stated voltage - many devices designed for DC battery operation are very sensitive to things such as voltage ripple, and will give inconsistent readings when powered from this kind of power supply. It’s not unusual to get several degrees of sensor reading “swing” for example. Maybe not too much of a problem if you don’t want close control on something like a hot water sensor and can accept a several degree swing in reading around the “real” measured value, but a major problem when trying for close control especially with room temperatures over a much smaller range. Finding 3v DC power supplies with well smoothed, low ripple voltage are few and far between.
    If it's that sensitive to voltage, wouldn't that suggest that it will be a total disaster as the batteries go flat?

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

That'll be why it tells you they're going flat.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dty View Post
    I'm seriously considering hooking my CS92 up to a 3V mains adaptor!
    I don't see how that would help. The problem is that the CS92 firmware has been designed to conserve battery life and so only communicates with the controller when there is an R in the month or if Venus is in the ascendant. There are several threads that have discussed the logic inherent in the CS92, such as:

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...ll=1#post28631

Whether you power the CS92 by battery or by a kryptonite power inverter, it would not change the operation of the CS92. We need one that was designed for permanent mains power and that communicates every minute.
    Last edited by Edinburgh2000; 6th October 2017 at 09:10 AM.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dty View Post
    I'm seriously considering hooking my CS92 up to a 3V mains adaptor!

Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Eli.../dp/B01MAWHOPM
    Batteries running low is not the problem. Batteries seem to last a long time in these and just before I got my faulty (?) one replaced I checked the batteries and they were still both at 1.6v which is above spec for Alkaline. In fact I purposely transferred the exact same batteries into the new CS92 instead of using the supplied ones and I have had no problems with the new unit for 3 months - showing it was never the batteries at fault.

It's hard to know exactly what the problem is but the fact that tensioning the battery contacts on the rear of the PCB almost eliminated any problems for 6 months suggests that either the device is extremely sensitive to battery voltage or the battery terminals or PCB pads suffer from oxidation problems. (Since a intermittent/oxidised contacts could cause voltage drop or intermittent voltage "brown outs" that reboot the unit)

As has been pointed out - ripple or poor voltage regulation on a mains powered battery "emulator" may cause more problems than it solves, so I wouldn't recommend it.

I think the overly aggressive battery saving algorithms (which try not to send temperature update transmissions unless its absolutely necessary, so send them very infrequently outside the differential range) also contribute to the problems with overshoot, which I've analysed in detail in another thread...
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 6th October 2017 at 10:10 AM.

Automated Home Sr Member

Thanks for the replies so far, seems I am not alone in the CS92 just deciding to start being temperamental. I will certainly look at the connections to see if any cleaning or retensioning will help. Though I do know that a quick removal and reinsertion of the batteries instantly reconnects the CS92 to the controller.

What I may try, which is very heath robinson, is passing the battery power through a normally closed relay. The relay would be a fibaro FGS212 so I can control the 3v power using a 240v relay. Then every 24 hours, specifically ten minutes before the hot water is to come on in a morning, the relay would cycle the 3v power to the CS92. A very heath robinson (and ridiculously expensive) way of removing and reinserting the battery on the CS92.

Any issues with the plan?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Cchris View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far, seems I am not alone in the CS92 just deciding to start being temperamental. I will certainly look at the connections to see if any cleaning or retensioning will help. Though I do know that a quick removal and reinsertion of the batteries instantly reconnects the CS92 to the controller.
    Only because the CS92 sends an immediate temperature reading to the controller every time it is powered up. But then after a while it will start misbehaving again.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Only because the CS92 sends an immediate temperature reading to the controller every time it is powered up. But then after a while it will start misbehaving again.
    AT least if it has a reading before the morning heating cycle, I can say goodbye to at least one moan from her indoors about no hot water in the morning. Maybe I just power cycle the thing every hour.

Or Honeywell could just make it, well, work?

Automated Home Lurker

+1 on this. I'm not a fan that it's running on batteries, communicating by wireless, and only updating at large intervals. For my installation the hot water cylinder is in a location where 240V is available, plus it could even be wired in for comms.

Bodging it to work on a 3V DC power adapter sounds interesting. Also given that it transmits immediately on power on, you could cut the 3V every minute to force an update at shorter intervals!

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Westyfield2 View Post
    +1 on this. I'm not a fan that it's running on batteries, communicating by wireless, and only updating at large intervals. For my installation the hot water cylinder is in a location where 240V is available, plus it could even be wired in for comms.

Bodging it to work on a 3V DC power adapter sounds interesting. Also given that it transmits immediately on power on, you could cut the 3V every minute to force an update at shorter intervals!

Batteries in these last for yonks normally. At the whole reason for Evo is that its wireless. I agree we are in desperate need of a signal booster of some sort. But we have to look at the price point of the product and how much it costs to develop something like that and make it backwards compatible.

The market simply isn't there.
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Automated Home Sr Member

This issue caught me out again this morning. She who must be obeyed found we had no hot water when she wanted to wash her hair. Great start to a morning.

Remove and re add the batteries and it's all fine and dandy again.

This isn't a flaky voltage or signal problem imho. It's either an inherent hardware or software issue imho. The fact it still persists after so long shows to me that Honeywell have zero intention of fixing it.

Running on new lithium batteries with connections fine on the pcb and within 20ft of the controller with no metal or other interference it still randomly fails. Its a device problem plain amd simple.

Im something like 4k invested into evohome but as soon as a real alternative with mesh based technology arrives, I'm off.

The range issues and the lack of a simple plug in extender mean that for larger homes it either doesn't work or you need multiple controllers (I have 3) and letting key issues like basic communication between hot water thermostat devices go unresolved while they fiddle with nice little pictures to show when the boiler is on is just a slap in the face to customers that have real issues with the products.

Either a 3v mains supply and 7 day timer to "disconnect" the power for a few seconds every morning just before hot water warm up time, or if it needs stability of the battery voltage then battery power through a Fibaro relay set to do the same thing every morning will be my solution. Simply can't rely on Honeywell ever taking this problem seriously so I'll need to come up with a solution myself until a suitable alternative manufactured one arrives.