• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Cchris View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far, seems I am not alone in the CS92 just deciding to start being temperamental. I will certainly look at the connections to see if any cleaning or retensioning will help. Though I do know that a quick removal and reinsertion of the batteries instantly reconnects the CS92 to the controller.
    Only because the CS92 sends an immediate temperature reading to the controller every time it is powered up. But then after a while it will start misbehaving again.

Comment

• Cchris
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
      Only because the CS92 sends an immediate temperature reading to the controller every time it is powered up. But then after a while it will start misbehaving again.
      AT least if it has a reading before the morning heating cycle, I can say goodbye to at least one moan from her indoors about no hot water in the morning. Maybe I just power cycle the thing every hour.

Or Honeywell could just make it, well, work?

Comment

• Westyfield2
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Jan 2018

+1 on this. I'm not a fan that it's running on batteries, communicating by wireless, and only updating at large intervals. For my installation the hot water cylinder is in a location where 240V is available, plus it could even be wired in for comms.

Bodging it to work on a 3V DC power adapter sounds interesting. Also given that it transmits immediately on power on, you could cut the 3V every minute to force an update at shorter intervals!

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Westyfield2 View Post
          +1 on this. I'm not a fan that it's running on batteries, communicating by wireless, and only updating at large intervals. For my installation the hot water cylinder is in a location where 240V is available, plus it could even be wired in for comms.

Bodging it to work on a 3V DC power adapter sounds interesting. Also given that it transmits immediately on power on, you could cut the 3V every minute to force an update at shorter intervals!

Batteries in these last for yonks normally. At the whole reason for Evo is that its wireless. I agree we are in desperate need of a signal booster of some sort. But we have to look at the price point of the product and how much it costs to develop something like that and make it backwards compatible.

The market simply isn't there.
          Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• Cchris
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Nov 2015

This issue caught me out again this morning. She who must be obeyed found we had no hot water when she wanted to wash her hair. Great start to a morning.

Remove and re add the batteries and it's all fine and dandy again.

This isn't a flaky voltage or signal problem imho. It's either an inherent hardware or software issue imho. The fact it still persists after so long shows to me that Honeywell have zero intention of fixing it.

Running on new lithium batteries with connections fine on the pcb and within 20ft of the controller with no metal or other interference it still randomly fails. Its a device problem plain amd simple.

Im something like 4k invested into evohome but as soon as a real alternative with mesh based technology arrives, I'm off.

The range issues and the lack of a simple plug in extender mean that for larger homes it either doesn't work or you need multiple controllers (I have 3) and letting key issues like basic communication between hot water thermostat devices go unresolved while they fiddle with nice little pictures to show when the boiler is on is just a slap in the face to customers that have real issues with the products.

Either a 3v mains supply and 7 day timer to "disconnect" the power for a few seconds every morning just before hot water warm up time, or if it needs stability of the battery voltage then battery power through a Fibaro relay set to do the same thing every morning will be my solution. Simply can't rely on Honeywell ever taking this problem seriously so I'll need to come up with a solution myself until a suitable alternative manufactured one arrives.

Comment

• DBMandrake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Sep 2014

I seem to be experiencing hot water overshoots again as well.

After over 6 months of intermittent overshoots that I couldn't solve I actually had my CS92A replaced under warranty a few months ago, and at first that seemed to fix it - no overshoots for several months.

But I'm starting to see them again, and absolutely nothing has changed in the house in regards to Evohome layout or configuration or other wireless devices.

It's not overshooting as far this time, but my hot water is set to 54 and I'm seeing 56, 57 degrees on many occasions and often it feels a lot hotter than 57. (EG too hot to hold your hand under)

With the amount of effort I've taken to analyse and troubleshoot this problem in the past (see long past threads devoted to it) and the fact that I'm now on my second CS92A and I'm having problems again I have to conclude that there is something wrong with the design of the device making it far too "finicky"...

It does feel like it is related to the battery saving algorithm where it takes extreme measures to only send updates as infrequently as possible, however that seems to backfire under certain situations leading to overshoots because it doesn't send an update as the target temperature is crossed.

A bit disappointing, it definitely seems to be the weakest part of the overall system and for no good reason - you'd think that a simple temperature sensor running from two AA batteries could have a good battery life without such extreme and problematic battery conservation measures, when an HR92 that is frequently turning a motor still manages to last 18 months.
              Last edited by DBMandrake; 23 February 2018, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• Cchris
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Nov 2015

You can understand why there is a big important notice about making sure the original thermostat and wired pump/heat cut off is left in addition to the CS92.

The number of hot water cylinders blowing their pressure releases if they relied solely on these CS92's would be interesting.

Its just the same as their reason for not building a range extender "the market just isn't there". The number of people with CS92's that are experiencing issues will be minimal. Even mine faulting several times a week doesn't cause issues unless it coincides with a heating cycle to the extent it leaves us without hot water in a morning, which has "only" occurred twice in 5 months, even though I get comms faults with the CS92 almost every day.

So while there aren't people complaining in great numbers, they aren't investing in the fix.

Whilst ever there aren't enough people suffering from range related issues, and can either scrape by with an extra controller (or two), then why bother investing in that too.

Comment

• HenGus
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • May 2014

Originally posted by Cchris View Post
                  You can understand why there is a big important notice about making sure the original thermostat and wired pump/heat cut off is left in addition to the CS92.

The number of hot water cylinders blowing their pressure releases if they relied solely on these CS92's would be interesting.

Its just the same as their reason for not building a range extender "the market just isn't there". The number of people with CS92's that are experiencing issues will be minimal. Even mine faulting several times a week doesn't cause issues unless it coincides with a heating cycle to the extent it leaves us without hot water in a morning, which has "only" occurred twice in 5 months, even though I get comms faults with the CS92 almost every day.

So while there aren't people complaining in great numbers, they aren't investing in the fix.

Whilst ever there aren't enough people suffering from range related issues, and can either scrape by with an extra controller (or two), then why bother investing in that too.
                  I know that I am tempting fate here, but I have had significantly fewer CS92 comms issues after the CH BDR in the airing cupboard was disabled in favour of an OT bridge located near to the boiler. I occasionally get a small temperature overshoot but it has never been much more than 1 to 2C.

Comment

• Cchris
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
                    I know that I am tempting fate here, but I have had significantly fewer CS92 comms issues after the CH BDR in the airing cupboard was disabled in favour of an OT bridge located near to the boiler. I occasionally get a small temperature overshoot but it has never been much more than 1 to 2C.
                    Sadly, moving controls closer to the boiler would cause me the issue of it not being in range of the controller. If I move the controller, then that is no longer in range of the furthest radiator it controls. Third world problems of having a larger home - its not very deep but quite wide, and the boilers are more to one end than the other. We have a twin boiler setup with low loss header too, so I can imagine that opening a whole separate can of worms. Honeywell just need to admit fault with these CS92's and update the hardware/software to fix these issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X