Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Evohome and Combi Power usage

Automated Home Sr Member

That's way too much. Got the owl one delivered tonight, 30.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Apples and oranges.

Smappee does a lot more. Identifying base load and helping you to trim it, for example. Or filtering by appliance.

It also correctly copes with devices with strange power factors (ever more common these days), whereas the Owl doesn't.

P.

Automated Home Sr Member

I only need something to tell me what is using approx 210w. Should be easy to find once I first go through each circuit and then individual items.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post

I've been using the loop energy saver for nearly a year now and find it great. More than just measuring the present usage it will graph it on an hourly basis and makes it easy to see daily, weekly, monthly trends etc. And it will calculate how much you're paying per day/week/month if it knows your tariff. The monthly figures it reports are within about 10% of what my energy provider puts on my invoice. I also use it to monitor gas usage.
    Out-of-interest, is Loop still trading? I spoke to their sales team about 9 months ago and I was told that they were waiting for components from China. I note that their web shop is still showing Out of Stock.

Smappee looks to be a quality product but with PV Solar the cost is just too much for the information that it provides.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    Out-of-interest, is Loop still trading? I spoke to their sales team about 9 months ago and I was told that they were waiting for components from China. I note that their web shop is still showing Out of Stock.
    Their website is certainly still working as I log in to check my usage at least once a week!

Wonder whats going on with the shop...
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 9th October 2017 at 07:42 PM.

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    Out-of-interest, is Loop still trading?
    I regularly wonder this too! Their website is still working. I check my usage daily.

But... I've also written a script to download my data hourly (and push it into InfluxDB), partly so I can view that data alongside other data, and partly so I don't lose it if they do disappear.

Here lies one of the best kept secrets about smappee. You don't need the solar model to monitor your solar PV generation, as long as you're a single phase household.

For anyone interested here are the details

https://support.smappee.com/hc/en-us...-Solar-Panels-

If you're quick you can grab a new on for <100

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMAPPEE-Ho...-/121888418041
    Last edited by StuartP; 10th October 2017 at 08:16 AM.

Automated Home Ninja

How exactly does Smappee differentiate which appliances are using electricity?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dty View Post
    How exactly does Smappee differentiate which appliances are using electricity?
    For simpletons like me, the response that I go back from Smappee when I asked the question is 'that it listens". The more technical answer is that is has None Intrusive Load Monitoring (NILM):

https://www.smappee.com/au/blog/blog...e-recognition/

Automated Home Ninja

Of course, I probably should have looked for that myself!

I'm... unconvinced. Some of the drawbacks they acknowledge seem like show-stoppers to me. Inability to detect "quiet" users - like all my LED lights, and probably my Evohome, and my Raspberry Pis, and many of the things that are "always on". The inability to detect by "always on" things. The inability to distinguish between the fridge and the freezer; or the central heating pump, the shower pump and the pond pump; or the dish washer and the washing machine.

I think I'll let this one mature for a bit... at least until Loop goes out of business.

On which point... I'm slightly suspicious that they've already gone and the only reason it's still all working is that someone paid for some up-front AWS servers and forgot to turn them off!