Thread: z-wave 2-way lighting (9 gang?)

Automated Home Lurker

Default z-wave 2-way lighting (9 gang?)

I'm looking for a dimmable lighting solution controllable from an app.

I have 9 lighting circuits in my lounge, which are a mix of 2-way etc.
    All 9 circuits can be controlled by the entrance door.
    The max circuit has 28 downrights with 5w bulbs (140w)
    I have a SmartThings hub, and would rather not have to buy another control hub.

I was looking at the Varilight Powergrid which has a 9 gang grid
    https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLSPG9.html
    but the Eclique2 dimmer module only supports up to 100w.

I don't really want 9 separate single switches.

So I was thinking of just installing a tablet to make a touch screen control for all 9 circuits.

Any help would be appreciated on;

1. whether there are other solutions with physical switches that would look good, and support 2-way circuits.

2. assuming the idea above is OK, any options other than a Fibraro Dimmer 2 http://www.vesternet.com/catalogsear...=fibaro+dimmer

3. Any good apps that I could install on the tablet?
    The Fibraro app looks good, but I assume it needs a Fibraro Control Centre.
    ActiON https://community.smartthings.com/t/...les-click/8149 ?

Automated Home Sr Member franktate's Avatar

9 of the Fibaro dimmer modules installed behind the existing face-plate would do the job. The problem would be space and possibly cost.

If you are just switching and not dimming certain sets of lights, then a 2 load module would save space and cost.

You could also consider installing the modules somewhere other than directly behind the light switch.

Sorry, can't help with the app question but I'd be interested if yu find any information on this solution as I've been thinking of how to put 7" tablets everywhere around the house. Firstly to aid with home automation but secondly just to wind my wife up. lol

Frank

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks Frank

It's a new install, so no current switches.
    I'd like to be able to dim, but it seem weird to have standard switches (for on/off) next to a tablet for dimming.

Are there dimmer switches that could fit in a 9-gang plate?
    I appreciate this means 9 switches plus 9 dimmer modules = £££££

What are you using as your hub?

Automated Home Jr Member

Couldn't you change the wiring itself so you're joining some of the circuits into fewer switchable groups? I've done this at my house in several places and never regretted it.

Automated Home Lurker

Jim, I like your out of the box thinking!
    I'll go and have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    Couldn't you change the wiring itself so you're joining some of the circuits into fewer switchable groups? I've done this at my house in several places and never regretted it.

I'm using a SmartThings hub at the moment. I keep thinking of buying a Fibaro HC but never quite get round to it. I think I'm still trying to convince myself that the extra cost will add some benefit. Any help from those with HC will be appreciated.

Can you explain a little more about why you have 9 sets of lights? I'm struggling to think of a scenario where you would need 9 individual dimmers. (Unless you run a cinema) lol

Frank

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by franktate View Post
    I'm using a SmartThings hub at the moment. I keep thinking of buying a Fibaro HC but never quite get round to it. I think I'm still trying to convince myself that the extra cost will add some benefit. Any help from those with HC will be appreciated.

Can you explain a little more about why you have 9 sets of lights? I'm struggling to think of a scenario where you would need 9 individual dimmers. (Unless you run a cinema) lol

Frank
    I have an open plan kitchen / living room, which is 100 sqm, and 9 different lighting zones (the kitchen aisle, over the worktop, above the dining table etc).

Very ostentatious

It sound like you have your work cut out. Let us know how you get on. Post some photos when you are finished to help others.

Frank