Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2.4/5GHz Meshes and Evohome

Automated Home Guru

Hi HenGus, automatic channel switching is generally pretty bad and can cause lots of problems. You should find the setting on the FritzBox and disable auto channel switching so you can set the channels manually. For 2.4GHz only use channels 1, 6, or 11. Once you've chosen a channel, go into the Sonos settings, and pick a different channel. From now on the FritzBox and the Sonos won't clash with each other. You should set the 5GHz channel manually also (you should be able to choose any of the channels -- at home I have two access points, one is set to channel 36, the other to 44).

https://www.extremetech.com/computin...-right-channel

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    The only thing that has changed with my wifi setup in recent days is a firmware upgrade to my Fritz!Box and Repeater which establishes 2.4/5GHz a mesh. Sonos also has its own mesh.

The facts are:

1. The Sonos App would not detect the Sonos system. Time 12.59. It established contact on the third attempt and Sonos streamed faultlessly. I suspect that this was down to the Fritz!Box auto wifi channel changing. This has resulted in problems (transmission breaks) with the Sky Q mesh which is why my Q boxes are now hard wired.

2. The Evotouch controller log shows a loss of sensor comms at 13.02 (the controller runs 3 minutes ahead of time) on the HW sensor and the two zones most distant from the controller. The faults self-restored at 13.04. No faults were reported with the OT relay or HW BDR, or the other 9 heating zones.

3. Evohome has been fine for the past 40+ hours.
    Have you considered the possibility of wide spectrum (I was going to say broadband, but that term has now been seconded and abused in the internet realm...) interference that was interfering with all RF comms in the house ? Could be something as simple as a malfunctioning microwave, an arcing switch or relay somewhere in the house, power tools, (at yours or the neighbours etc) something like that.

Some sources of interference especially anything arc related can cover an incredibly wide spectrum and it's possible that your Evohome and Wifi got hit by the same interference source rather than interfering with each other.

The auto wifi channel changing may have been prompted by said interference rather than being the cause of it.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Have you considered the possibility of wide spectrum (I was going to say broadband, but that term has now been seconded and abused in the internet realm...) interference that was interfering with all RF comms in the house ? Could be something as simple as a malfunctioning microwave, an arcing switch or relay somewhere in the house, power tools, (at yours or the neighbours etc) something like that.

Some sources of interference especially anything arc related can cover an incredibly wide spectrum and it's possible that your Evohome and Wifi got hit by the same interference source rather than interfering with each other.

The auto wifi channel changing may have been prompted by said interference rather than being the cause of it.
    Unless a pattern develops, it may well fall into the category of just one of those things. I have had issues with meshes and breaks in radio/TV streaming before when my router has auto channel changed but it has never had an impact on Evotouch. I have also had an occasional loss of comms with the odd HR92 sensor and the HW sensor. The odd thing here is 3 separate sensors all having a comms fault at 13.02 which cleared on all 3 zones 2 minutes later.