• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Evohome Control Panel Time

An issue that has been raised elsewhere. With our clocks in the UK changing back to proper time in the early hours of this morning I did wonder if the Control Panel in resetting would reset to the correct time. It hasn’t. Still about 3 minutes or so fast. Can one of our Honeywell bods tell us where the Panel gets its time from? Other devices in my home that automatically adjust their time all get it right although I have one that is a couple of seconds away from the others.

Addendum: it has actually gone to nearly 6 minutes out. Seems to have doubled in the last 24 hours. Time for a reset I suppose.
    Last edited by G4RHL; 29 October 2017, 08:28 AM.
  • Edinburgh2000
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
    With our clocks in the UK changing back to proper time in the early hours of this morning I did wonder if the Control Panel in resetting would reset to the correct time. It hasn’t. Still about 3 minutes or so fast. Can one of our Honeywell bods tell us where the Panel gets its time from?

Addendum: it has actually gone to nearly 6 minutes out. Seems to have doubled in the last 24 hours. Time for a reset I suppose.
    This was discussed at some length in this thread:

That appeared to be resolved with the update of the records by Honeywell of 'Locations' and their daylight savings credentials. My controller updated satisfactorily last night to GMT but, like yours, my controller was still over two minutes fast. I then found that by disconnecting the controller from my WiFi, waiting a few minutes and then reconnecting the WiFi the time came back spot on. So it looks as though the controller gets its base time (UTC) from the WiFi router when it connects (but rarely if ever resynchronises thereafter, but lets its own clock drift fast). The base time zone offset is determined by the Location timezone that you select in the TCC setup page, and the daylight saving offset is entered by Honeywell based on your location. So I don't think Honeywell is telling the controller what time it is, just the time zone and daylight saving offset.
    Last edited by Edinburgh2000; 29 October 2017, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• G4RHL
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jan 2015

I may well be wrong but I did not think a router picks up time at all. My other devices don’t get their time from the router but from some external server. The computer is so set. My LightwveRF Hub gets its time from LightwaveRF ‘s server, which is never quite right for my location and thinks dusk is sunset. SmartThings, whilst set to do something at the same time as something else, is a second or two behind. Surely the router just routes the device/contact back to the desired server? I must reset to see what happens. At present mine is 6 minutes fast.

Addendum. Just done a reset and it came back 2 minutes 20 seconds fast. It’s not the router. Must be Honeywell’s server.
      Last edited by G4RHL; 29 October 2017, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• Edinburgh2000
        Automated Home Guru
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
        I did not think a router picks up time at all.
        My bad. You are quite right. Apologies. I have just poked around the menus of my router and, as you suggest, it does not know the time at all. I can only note that, for me, disconnecting my controller from WiFi, waiting about five minutes and then reconnecting did prompt the controller to pickup the correct time - from somewhere.

Comment

• HenGus
          Automated Home Legend
          • May 2014

Originally posted by Edinburgh2000 View Post
          My bad. You are quite right. Apologies. I have just poked around the menus of my router and, as you suggest, it does not know the time at all. I can only note that, for me, disconnecting my controller from WiFi, waiting about five minutes and then reconnecting did prompt the controller to pickup the correct time - from somewhere.
          It will wander. I did the same in Spring and it has been 3 minutes off for months. It is now showing the correct time after a re-connection to wifi today.

Comment

• Marty
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Mar 2016

My unit has gone back an hour but the minutes are still three minutes fast.
            I thought it would either set the time correctly or not at all.
            Maybe it is syncing the hours but not the minutes.
            Is that possible?
            It's very odd.

Comment

• Edinburgh2000
              Automated Home Guru
              • Dec 2016

Try disconnecting the controller from WiFi ("Settings" - "WiFi settings" - "Disconnect"), wait about five minutes and then reconnect.

Comment

• HenGus
                Automated Home Legend
                • May 2014

Originally posted by Marty View Post
                My unit has gone back an hour but the minutes are still three minutes fast.
                I thought it would either set the time correctly or not at all.
                Maybe it is syncing the hours but not the minutes.
                Is that possible?
                It's very odd.
                The wifi model has always been odd. Rest assured, whatever you do it will wander off over time. That said, it is hardly a big issue. At least this time, there are no reports (yet) of some units not changing time from/to DST.

Comment

• Marty
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Mar 2016

I know I can do that but it is supposed to be automatic.
                  Possibly the daylight saving setting is built into the unit and it is not syncing at all.
                  I think we will have to wait for a firmware update to sort it out but it seems to be a long time coming.

Comment

• G4RHL
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jan 2015

It’s time I adjusted all my schedules! It brings whatever is due to come on 3 minutes early! I am sure Honeywell can confirm where it gets its time from. It certainly is not from anything in my home! A minor issue though. The system works well.

Comment

• paulockenden
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Apr 2015

I think Honeywell syncs the time from the clock in my car. That's always a few minutes fast....

Comment

• G4RHL
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jan 2015

That has to be the answer.

Comment

• jonbanjo
                          Automated Home Lurker
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                          I think Honeywell syncs the time from the clock in my car. That's always a few minutes fast....
                          Going by my PC sing NTP, our Evo is about 40s slow.

Comment

Working...
                          X