Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remote Access

Automated Home Lurker

Default Remote Access

Looking to get an Evohome heating system and as far as I understand the phone app talks to Honeywell servers to control your system and not connect directly?

I would like to restrict access so that I can only control the system on my local network and VPN in whenever I want remote control.

Is this possible or do you have to go via Honeywell servers every time?

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

You could run Domoticz (with an HGI80) on a local server (or even rPi), and control everything from there. But it can be a bit clunky in places.

P.

Automated Home Lurker

This looks interesting.. Thanks! I would have preferred an out of the box solution but that doesn't look likely with the Evohome.

If my experience is anything to go by, once you're past the initial 'tinker' stage, and once you've got your schedules nicely tailored, you probably won't need the app that much, if at all.

The whole idea of a properly automated home is that IT does stuff for YOU. You shouldn't have to worry about settings and stuff.

So perhaps just get your house comfortable then unregister the system from TCC.

Incidentally, what's your concern about Honeywell's servers having access to your heating?

P.

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    If my experience is anything to go by, once you're past the initial 'tinker' stage, and once you've got your schedules nicely tailored, you probably won't need the app that much, if at all.

The whole idea of a properly automated home is that IT does stuff for YOU. You shouldn't have to worry about settings and stuff.

So perhaps just get your house comfortable then unregister the system from TCC.

Incidentally, what's your concern about Honeywell's servers having access to your heating?

P.
    Not a bad suggestion however I would like remote access for the occasions where I'm unexpectedly away from home and would like a warm house on my return.

I want the VPN to be the only point of entry to my network due to security concerns. Don't like the idea of devices being exposed directly to the internet.

I've also been looking at building a system with Danfoss LC13 TRVs with a Z-Wave controller however the lack of boiler control has put me off this.
    Last edited by meinnit; 12th April 2016 at 09:55 PM.

For me, the remote based stuff (the app, IFTTT, Smartthings, etc.) are a crucial part of my Evohome ecosystem. If there was a security breach what could someone do? Turn my hot water off? It's hardly identity theft!

If you are overly concerned about security I guess you could create a firewall rule so that you Evohome controller can ONLY talk to IP addresses in Honeywell's Alarmnet range.

And/or you could put the controller in a DMZ, so that the rest of your network remains secure.

P.
    Last edited by paulockenden; 12th April 2016 at 11:53 PM.

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

what is the concern about cloud based remote control?
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Automated Home Legend

I guess the concern is similar to what Belkin Wemo faced a while ago. I.e. Someone could write a script that turned your evohome devices on and off too many times and destroyed them.

But I'm with Paul on this one. The gains are too many to be concerned about the potential what ifs.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    If there was a security breach what could someone do?
    Ascertain if and when your house is unoccupied.

As with most things, in isolation a small piece of information is not much use, but many pieces of small bits of information are very useful.
    Usually when theres a breach of a companies systems the information leaked is not of much use, but when its added to other bits of information available to them it becomes very useful. Same reason people don't like the idea of smart meters, it becomes possible to tell when a property is unoccupied.

I know people will reply and comment how far fetched things like this are, and I don't tend to disagree.

Automated Home Legend

If an intruder is relying on the Away quick action to determine if we are home or not, they may be surprised to know that we might be using it as an Eco because the house is comfortable enough while we're in :-)