• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ldoodle
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2005

Network/Phone/TV/Audio Distribution

Hi there,

Just bought my first house so this will be a retro installation.

I would like 2 Cat5e points in each room (one for data and one for voice), a TV point (though each room will have it's own Freeview box), and maybe audio outputs. I'm ok with running and terminating the cables as it's part of my job. I'll need help with the following though:

- Connecting phones from each room over Cat5e to a normal BT connection.
    - Distribution/amplicfication of the single TV arieal signal to multiple rooms.
    - Distribution of audio to multiple rooms.

Thanks very much/...
  • vex
    Automated Home Guru
    • Feb 2005

llloooooonnnnggggg Post warning!

Hi Idoodle,

I wondered if you would pop over here.

As I said on the AV Formus site any of the CRIS / Home Network Sciences boxes will offer this level of inter-connection for you.

For Telephone distribution you use a standard data patch panel (4, 6 or 8 Way) and rather than terminate one cable to each of the outlets as per data, loop the blue pair of a cat5e cable through four of the blue punch downs. Run the other end of this down to you BT Master and connect the matching blue pair to the Blue and White cable (Katman may come a correct me on the colour, he is ex BT)

This will split your telephone line 4 ways and present them onto a data patch point which you can then patch across to your out going connections to share the line around the house. At the face plate end you can use either RJ45's with a RJ45-BT Master Adaptor or terminate them with standard BT masters.

TV Distribution, use the Loftbox, either built into the Cris Cabinet or seperately. It really can not be beaten for feeding all your services to one point for reception and decoding and the when this signal is returned to it for re-distribution out around the rest of the property.

Audio distribution, there are three ways of doing this.
    1) Speaker level distribution, taking the amplified signal from you Hi Fi ammp and splitting it to the rooms you want audio. Effective but limited as you can not control the hifi easily or turn the volume up, only down.

2) Source Level distribution, either single source or multi source. Local amplifiers in each room either built into wall mounted keypads or into the speakers. Offers lots more control ovewr both music and volume and in some cases Bass / Treble and Balance.

3) Digitally using store MP3 style music and passing over the IP network to something like the excellent SONOS. This could go as far as using NetStreams which has a wall mounted keypad that decodes the stream and amplifies it to speaker level.

Is that enough to be going on with?

Have a good read of my articles on Konnect2.net as they should expand on this even further.

Cheers

Chris
    www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
    NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

Re: Network/Phone/TV/Audio Distribution

You might also want to take a look at Abitana's range of Cat5 products. www.abitana.com their UK distributor is MiniTran https://www.minitran.co.uk/pages/pro...st.mhtml?ct=26
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• vex
        Automated Home Guru
        • Feb 2005

I thought the abitana system was based on a propritary cable that was half way between Cat5e and Cat7?
        www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
        NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

Re: Network/Phone/TV/Audio Distribution

Its basically a Cat5 cable with one of the twisted pairs being made differently to the others this enables the pair to carry analogue signals upto 900MHz. But if you don't want to distribute Analogue tv signals then I see no reason why normal Cat5 can't work.
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
          X