• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tubalcane
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2017

Automatic boiler temperature control

Hi newbie to the forum and a serial tinkerer 😊

House is currently under a major and long running renovation and I have started to research what systems to use for my home automation, however have to finish my little heating project first.

Just a Victorian terraced house but I have installed underfloor heating in all downstairs rooms and in the bathroom, and then separately zoned radiators in the the other rooms. This is all controlled by a heatmiser system using wall mounted thermostats in each room. It all works well

My little project at moment is too reduce the boiler operating temperature when the heating is on ( or raise the boiler temperature when the hot water is on) .

Reasoning is. To achieve maximum effficency of boiler to operate at 50c rather than the mixing valve on the underfloor heating manifold doing all the work.

I realise a lot of modern boilers ( mine is 5 years old) automatically do this however all the research I have done indicates that my boiler cannot do this , it's a Worcester system boiler green star 40 CDi

My "cunning plan " is to somehow automate the rotation of the boiler temperature control using a servo or similar attached to the dial on the front of the boiler. Not one to ever try and reinvent the wheel and my long winded question is really simple, is there already something like this on the market ( googling has not brought up any results so far) as I would much prefer to use something that is tried and tested rather than on site engineered by myself.😊

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated
  • mtmcgavock
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Tubalcane View Post
    Hi newbie to the forum and a serial tinkerer ��

House is currently under a major and long running renovation and I have started to research what systems to use for my home automation, however have to finish my little heating project first.

Just a Victorian terraced house but I have installed underfloor heating in all downstairs rooms and in the bathroom, and then separately zoned radiators in the the other rooms. This is all controlled by a heatmiser system using wall mounted thermostats in each room. It all works well

My little project at moment is too reduce the boiler operating temperature when the heating is on ( or raise the boiler temperature when the hot water is on) .

Reasoning is. To achieve maximum effficency of boiler to operate at 50c rather than the mixing valve on the underfloor heating manifold doing all the work.

I realise a lot of modern boilers ( mine is 5 years old) automatically do this however all the research I have done indicates that my boiler cannot do this , it's a Worcester system boiler green star 40 CDi

My "cunning plan " is to somehow automate the rotation of the boiler temperature control using a servo or similar attached to the dial on the front of the boiler. Not one to ever try and reinvent the wheel and my long winded question is really simple, is there already something like this on the market ( googling has not brought up any results so far) as I would much prefer to use something that is tried and tested rather than on site engineered by myself.��

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated
    You need an opentherm boiler to do what you'd like, what you're trying to replicate by manually altering the flow temperature is madness

Comment

• bruce_miranda
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2014

Some blue tack and a servo should do it :-) But seriously is there no way to control that max without turning that knob in the front. Do Worcester not sell controls that allow the flow temperature to be set remotely? On the Vaillant you set the boiler to max but then the controls can request lower temperatures.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

A better way might be to figure out how to interface the EMS bus of the boiler and then alter the max value associated with that knob. It's a trick I use on my Vaillant to vary the max when heating HW and then lower the max when heating just CH. I don't touch the boiler knob, that is kept fixed. But because I can control the max, it changes the scale of that knob and achieves exactly what you are trying to do.

Comment

• Tubalcane
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
          A better way might be to figure out how to interface the EMS bus of the boiler and then alter the max value associated with that knob. It's a trick I use on my Vaillant to vary the max when heating HW and then lower the max when heating just CH. I don't touch the boiler knob, that is kept fixed. But because I can control the max, it changes the scale of that knob and achieves exactly what you are trying to do.
          Thanks I did investigate that route but information was very scant ,

Comment

• bruce_miranda
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2014

Start with this, I guess?

Comment

• Tubalcane
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Oct 2017

Once again thanks , looks like I have a bit of homework this weekend��

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jul 2014

Hope you have a soldering iron handy because your first step is going to be building an EMS Bus interface. Details of that and the software all seems well documented. And if you were planning to turning the knob using a Servo, then all up your street too. Whether the EMS interface is faster to implement than a servo is entirely up to you. I actually know someone who turns the dial of his boiler each day when the HW is turned on to heat his cylinder.

Comment

Working...
                X