• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IM35461
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jan 2012

Internet Connected Evohome - Clock Accuracy Poor

I know this is mentioned in many other generic threads but can't we have a fix that sets the Evohome system clock spot on every week or 24hrs?

My one at present is over one minute out and the unit defiantly has a working internet connection as the Android app controls it okay.

So in the next firmware update can it please include a fix for a pool of Network Time Protocol servers e.g. http://www.pool.ntp.org/zone/uk

Obviously not a high priority but every other device in the home knows what the correct time is.
  • Dan_Robinson
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Jun 2012

Can honestly say I have never noticed or cared that my Evo is 50 seconds out. LOL Nice to know there are people out there with so little in life to worry about
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• G4RHL
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
      Can honestly say I have never noticed or cared that my Evo is 50 seconds out. LOL Nice to know there are people out there with so little in life to worry about
      I tend to agree with Dan. Does it really matter? Do we need to be obsessed with accuracy? I am from the era when one’s watches and clocks were often fast or slow. Also I find different devices accessing the internet come up with different times for things like sunset and sunrise. I am using SmartThings, iConnectHue and LightwaveRF all of which can be set to operate at sunrise and sunset and they don’t do so at the same time. Indeed, LighwaveRF has no idea what dusk and dawn is and they are far more useful to have as settings than sunset and sunrise.

I live with the fact my heating comes on a few minutes early.

However, we should not forget that Honeywell are one of the major players, if not the major one, in control systems around the world, in aircraft I believe and many other commercial operations where accuracy is crucial. Strange therefore to have this error. Perhaps they simply have a different approach to domestic users and what they think their demands are, than to commercial users.

Comment

• paulockenden
        Automated Home Legend
        • Apr 2015

I wouldn't bother if it was less than a minute out, but I've seen mine drift by as much as 4 minutes.

Given that the default standby display has a bloody great digital clock in the middle of it, I'd prefer that clock to be telling the right time!

Comment

• bruce_miranda
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2014

In a world with internet connected devices, I guess there is no longer an excuse for an incorrect clock. Does it bother me, no. But would I like it to be correct, yes. Even my oven doesn't drift as much as my Evohome.

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
            I wouldn't bother if it was less than a minute out, but I've seen mine drift by as much as 4 minutes.

Given that the default standby display has a bloody great digital clock in the middle of it, I'd prefer that clock to be telling the right time!
            Personally I'm more worried about the bug that caused the clock to stop completely, which has happened to me 3 times in the last couple of years. It causes the schedule to completely stop at whatever point it is at until a reboot...

Comment

• IM35461
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Jan 2012

After having the latest firmware for a few weeks, the clock is over one minute out so problem not fixed.

Still at least it tells me the outside temperature

Comment

• paulockenden
                Automated Home Legend
                • Apr 2015

It’s a prediction of what the outside temp will be in a minute's time.

Comment

• G4RHL
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jan 2015

I wonder why it is that a company like Honeywell, with a world wide reputation for system controls, cannot ensure its clock is accurate? Is this also symptomatic of their approach to the domestic market generally, thinking people will not be bothered.? I listen to my heating firing up every morning nearly 3 minutes before the set time solely because the Control Panel time is always out by nearly that.

....and there is no a way to adjust for that 3 minutes!

Comment

• DBMandrake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                    ....and there is no a way to adjust for that 3 minutes!
                    Turn off the automatic time update and set the time manually yourself ? And tweak it from time to time like any manual clock ?

Comment

• G4RHL
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                      Turn off the automatic time update and set the time manually yourself ? And tweak it from time to time like any manual clock ?
                      Aye, always an answer but I think the year is 2018, clocks aren’t adjusted manually, well most are not. I don’t see why for an up to date electronically controlled system working on time schedules I should have to manually put the time right every week on the control device! It may of course be no more than the Honeywell server is not correct but am sure that will get its time like everybody else’s computer does. I wonder why, after such a long time, they have never addressed this. Can someone from Honeywell elaborate?

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Mar 2017

It’s not just a few minutes either, I went round to my parents and theirs was 15 minutes fast nearly and set to update automatically. I had to turn auto set off, set it manually and then turn auto set back on which seemed to set it correctly.

Comment

• paulockenden
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by mtmcgavock View Post
                          theirs was 15 minutes fast
                          A new record!

Always fast though - I've not seen a slow clock reported yet.

P.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Mar 2017

Honeywell must just like setting their clocks fast, as the amount of Honeywell Twin Channel clocks that i've fitted that come 'factory set' and they are always 10 minutes fast. It seems only in the last 12 months that they're actually right out of the box.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Sep 2014

Has anyone inspected the traffic coming from the device to see if it is using a standard ntp query ?

Funnily enough I just checked mine and the time is spot on....

Comment

Working...
                              X