• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gingerneil
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2005

Krone BT Line Adapter wiring

Not sure if this is the right place to be asking this.... but does anyone know the wiring for these:
    RS is the leading provider of industrial and electronic solutions. Secure online ordering, same-day dispatch & free delivery available.

ie.. which pins on the cat5 patch panel will I need to wire the phone extension line to in order for this to work ?? Assuming I terminate the cat5 using 568-B Wiring.
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

Re: Krone BT Line Adapter wiring

T568B wiring colour match the BT colour code so

BT2 BLUE/White to Patch Panel 4
    BT5 WHITE/Blue to Patch Panel 5
    BT3 ORANGE/White to Patch Panel 2
    BT4 WHITE/Orange to Patch Panel 1

HTH

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• gingerneil
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Nov 2005

Excellent - thanks.

Comment

• gingerneil
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Nov 2005

Finally moved house and up and running.
        I am running a phone extension over cat5 using a Krone adapter that converts the phone cable to cat5 (and back again) according to the above wiring.
        However, I have only been able to run one cable to the location where my ADSL modem/router is to be housed; but I wold like to run both voice (from the BT Master socket, and to be used for ADSL) and data over this one cable. I understand that its possible to buy cat5 splitters that allow 2 data lines to be used on the same cable, but anyone know if (and where) I can get splitters that will allow data and voice on the same cable ??
        I assume i would likely have to replace the Krone adapters I am currently using for voice (not an issue as I can just return them to work).

Comment

• katman
          • Jan 2004

Hi,

Havent seen splitter for Voice and Data on a single cable although I am sure that someone will make them.

The "economiser" splitters that you may see for sale are intended for running two Ethernet circuits over a single cable.

Ethernet uses the Orange and Green pairs so the economisers take the Green and Orange pairs to 1&2 (orange pair) and 3&6 (green pair) to socket 1, it then uses the otherwise unused Blue and Brown pairs to provide 1&2, 3&6 on the second socket.

These would be of no use whatsoever for phone usage as phones use the Blue and Orange pairs.

All is not lost however, take a trip over to www.maplin.co.uk and look for RJ45 Double Adapter PU96E. These take all 8 wires to each socket so are no good for ethernet but will be useful to you.

Feed your existing phone line as you are doing now with the Krone adapters plugged into these doublers. For the ADSL, take the two wires and stick them on the Green or Brown pair of a Patch cord and plug it into the other socket on the doubler.

Shouldnt give you any problems as the phone will only be connected to the blue and orange pairs and the ADSL will be on a.n.other pair.

Hope that helps

Keith

Comment

• gingerneil
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Nov 2005

Thanks for the reply.
            Did some reading, and came across the Coolport - seems to do what I want.
            However, I've had another plan. The wiring is being done via RJ45 and BT modular faceplates - I therefore have easy access to the punch downs and the sockets will be right next to each other. I'm going to try and use the spare pairs on the ethernet socket - remove this from the punch down block and wire them to the BT punch down on the faceplace. I have phone master sockets, so only need one pair. should word OK.

I'm, using the modular bits from the bottom of:

Wont need the krone adapters anymore.
            Will post back results....

Comment

• katman
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by gingerneil
              However, I've had another plan. The wiring is being done via RJ45 and BT modular faceplates - I therefore have easy access to the punch downs and the sockets will be right next to each other. I'm going to try and use the spare pairs on the ethernet socket - remove this from the punch down block and wire them to the BT punch down on the faceplace. I have phone master sockets, so only need one pair. should wokd OK.
              NO NO NO NO NO

The whole point of a structured wiring scheme is that it provides a COMMON cabling layout throughout the whole building.

All sockets should have 8 connections which appear in the same order at the other end of the cable in order that ANYTHING the uses CAT5 Cable/RJ45 can be plugged in and work.

Whilst your solution will work for now, you dont know what you will be using it for in the future. eg Power over Ethernet

1. Stick to using RJ45 sockets with Krone Adapters

2. DONT break out pairs to another socket

3. DONT use more than 1 Master socket, whilst in most case is will work it can cause problems due to the extra capacitance on the line.

You have ignored the basic rules of installing CAT5

1. NEVER run a single cable, always in pairs or multiples thereof.

2. If you can think of a use for all cables run to a particular point...run a few more.

3. You dont have to terminate all cables initially but cable is cheap.

4. If you dont want to run more now, at least consider an easy way or running more in the future.

Many people on this forum have already run up against the problem of not enough cables which is why the list of rules exists. Ignore them at your peril!!!

Regards

Keith

Comment

• gingerneil
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Nov 2005

Easy to say, but it was a physical impossibility to run more than one cable to this point. The cable had to be tucked within the expansion gap between laminate floor and tile in order to go across a doorway. I also had to run another cat5 in there meaning I could only have one cable to each of two locations on the other side of the door.
                (cable is going from a cupboard under the stairs to the other side of the living room). I therefore now have one cat5 run from the cupboard to each side of the fireplace. I have no choice.
                The phone point is next to one of the cat5 wall plates that I have put in. The only way to get the phone line to the cupboard is using this cat5. I also need to run ethernet back to this location to allow a Squeezebox to connect next to the hi-fi. Therefore, no real choice but to split the cable and use the unused pairs.
                I've wired this up and it works fine - I will label the points to ensure that I know exactly what I have done in the future.

Ideally I would have a seperate run and be using cat5 and krone adapters. However, I cant. I would also go for a coolport type solution, but these aren't cheap.

Wired it all up this morning, and it works fine. I'll keep an eye out for capacitance issues on the line and replace the masters with slaves if need be.

Thanks for the advice, but I hope you can understand why I've done this now. Any comments now you have the fuller picture... is there a better way ?

Comment

• katman
                  • Jan 2004

I fully understand why you only have a single cable and that you want to utilise it to the maximum.

All I would say is that the ONE CABLE should terminate on ONE SOCKET and any deviation from the standard should be external to that socket using adapters.

Having said that, its your house, your cable, your decision.

Regards

Keith

Comment

• TimH
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by katman
                    T568B wiring colour match the BT colour code so

BT2 BLUE/White to Patch Panel 4
                    BT5 WHITE/Blue to Patch Panel 5
                    BT3 ORANGE/White to Patch Panel 2
                    BT4 WHITE/Orange to Patch Panel 1
                    Hi Keith,

I've wired up my patch lead per the wiring instructions above and while I can make outgoing calls, the phone doesn't ring for incoming ones. I've assumed that "BT2" etc is the same as the second contact in from the left when looking down onto the BT plug with the latch on the right. Equally, "Patch Panel 4" etc is 4th contact from the left of the RJ45 when the latch is underneath and the contacts are a the "top".

Any ideas why the phone doesn't ring? Have I wired my plug wrongly? (I've continuity checked my patch lead just to be sure)

Thanks,

Tim.
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

• katman
                      • Jan 2004

I've wired up my patch lead per the wiring instructions above and while I can make outgoing calls, the phone doesn't ring for incoming ones. I've assumed that "BT2" etc is the same as the second contact in from the left when looking down onto the BT plug with the latch on the right. Equally, "Patch Panel 4" etc is 4th contact from the left of the RJ45 when the latch is underneath and the contacts are a the "top".

Any ideas why the phone doesn't ring? Have I wired my plug wrongly? (I've continuity checked my patch lead just to be sure)
                      I think you have the BT wiring reversed.

BT1 is nearest the tag so looking at the plug with the tag on the right it goes 654321

For the patch panel, follow the T568B colour code (the one with the orange pair on 1&2)

RJ45 plug is 12345678 with contacts up and latch underneath.

Regards

Keith

Comment

• TimH
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Feb 2004

Keith,

Many thanks, this was indeed the problem. I've remade the patch lead and all is well.

Thanks again,

Tim.
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

• katman
                          • Jan 2004

Glad you got it sorted OK.

Comment

• caesar
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • Jun 2006

BT1 is nearest the tag so looking at the plug with the tag on the right it goes 654321

For the patch panel, follow the T568B colour code (the one with the orange pair on 1&2)

RJ45 plug is 12345678 with contacts up and latch underneath.

Regards

Keith
                            This is my first post, but this site has been a great help so far, so thanks to everybody for contributing. I'm hoping someone will spot something that I've missed or am confused about with the following problem because it's taken up for too much time and too many components already!

I have a similar problem to TimH - I'm getting a dial tone and incoming and outgoing calls work OK, but no ringing. I've made a patch lead with a BT plug at one end (against katman's advice!) and an RJ45 at the other. The RJ45 is terminated to T568B (as are all my jacks), and I've patched:

BT plug 2 to RJ45 4
                            BT plug 3 to RJ45 2
                            BT plug 4 to RJ45 1
                            BT plug 5 to RJ45 5

I've connected the 'phone via a BT to RJ45 adapter from Maplin, and I've tried patching the green pair instead of the orange pair to BT 3 and 4 in case the Maplin adapter was wired for T568A. I've also tried reversing the patching above, but still get the same problem.

I took the Maplin adapter apart and was suprised to see that it connected:

BT plug 2 to RJ45 5
                            BT plug 3 to RJ45 7
                            BT plug 4 to RJ45 2
                            BT plug 5 to RJ45 4

Following the route with my T568B-B patch lead, this means that 'phone (BT) plug 2 goes into the BT socket where BT plug 5 would go if plugging in a phone directly (sorry about the clumsy description but I think BT sockets are numbered differently so didn't want to confuse everything), 'phone plug 3 does not reach the BT socket (explains no ringing), 'phone 4 goes into socket at BT plug pos 3, and 'phone 5 goes into the socket where 2 would go.

I've tried making a patch lead that maintains the positions so that BT plug 2, 3, 4, and 5 end up going into the socket where it would do if you plugged the phone in directly but didn't even get a ring tone from that one.

I've also tried putting an RJ45 plug on an old 'phone cable directly a couple of times without getting it to ring, one maintaining the pins order and one reversing them, but still can't get the phone to ring.

I am out of BT plugs now (!) but the one thing I can see left to try is to make up a patch lead to connect Patch Panel 7 to BT 4 and try the Maplin adapter again. However, as far as I can see, this would be the same as when I put the RJ45 straight onto the old phone lead with pin order reversed.

Comment

• katman
                              • Jan 2004

I have a similar problem to TimH - I'm getting a dial tone and incoming and outgoing calls work OK, but no ringing. I've made a patch lead with a BT plug at one end (against katman's advice!) and an RJ45 at the other. The RJ45 is terminated to T568B (as are all my jacks), and I've patched:

BT plug 2 to RJ45 4
                              BT plug 3 to RJ45 2
                              BT plug 4 to RJ45 1
                              BT plug 5 to RJ45 5
                              Which is how it should be.

I've connected the 'phone via a BT to RJ45 adapter from Maplin, and I've tried patching the green pair instead of the orange pair to BT 3 and 4 in case the Maplin adapter was wired for T568A. I've also tried reversing the patching above, but still get the same problem.
                              The ONLY difference between T568A and T568B is the COLOUR of pairs 2 & 3 are transposed. ELECTRICALLY THEY ARE IDENTICAL. The only problem comes when terminating the cable if you use T568B at one end and T568A at the other !!!

I took the Maplin adapter apart and was suprised to see that it connected:

BT plug 2 to RJ45 5
                              BT plug 3 to RJ45 7
                              BT plug 4 to RJ45 2
                              BT plug 5 to RJ45 4

Following the route with my T568B-B patch lead, this means that 'phone (BT) plug 2 goes into the BT socket where BT plug 5 would go if plugging in a phone directly (sorry about the clumsy description but I think BT sockets are numbered differently so didn't want to confuse everything), 'phone plug 3 does not reach the BT socket (explains no ringing), 'phone 4 goes into socket at BT plug pos 3, and 'phone 5 goes into the socket where 2 would go.

I've tried making a patch lead that maintains the positions so that BT plug 2, 3, 4, and 5 end up going into the socket where it would do if you plugged the phone in directly but didn't even get a ring tone from that one.

I've also tried putting an RJ45 plug on an old 'phone cable directly a couple of times without getting it to ring, one maintaining the pins order and one reversing them, but still can't get the phone to ring.

I am out of BT plugs now (!) but the one thing I can see left to try is to make up a patch lead to connect Patch Panel 7 to BT 4 and try the Maplin adapter again. However, as far as I can see, this would be the same as when I put the RJ45 straight onto the old phone lead with pin order reversed.
                              Are you sure you are reading the RJ45 plug the right way round ?

You say that you get dial tone but A&B are reversed. As this is RJ45 4/5 then if you were reading the wrong way round this would then put them in the correct order.

Ringing is on BT3 which you say is connected to RJ45 7 but reading from the opposite direction would be pin 2 which would be correct

The only one that seems odd is BT4 but as that isnt needed anyway I wouldnt worry about it.

I cant believe that the Maplin adapters would be wired to a completely different standard.

If at all possible I would terminate a length of CAT5 onto the patch panel or a spare RJ45 socket and then onto the NTE faceplate and use an RJ45 patch lead to connect them and see what happens then.

Comment

Working...
                              X