Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Krone BT Line Adapter wiring

Automated Home Lurker

Default Krone BT Line Adapter wiring

Not sure if this is the right place to be asking this.... but does anyone know the wiring for these:
    http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/su...id=-1600767334

ie.. which pins on the cat5 patch panel will I need to wire the phone extension line to in order for this to work ?? Assuming I terminate the cat5 using 568-B Wiring.

Default Re: Krone BT Line Adapter wiring

T568B wiring colour match the BT colour code so

BT2 BLUE/White to Patch Panel 4
    BT5 WHITE/Blue to Patch Panel 5
    BT3 ORANGE/White to Patch Panel 2
    BT4 WHITE/Orange to Patch Panel 1

HTH

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Automated Home Lurker

Excellent - thanks.

Automated Home Lurker

Finally moved house and up and running.
    I am running a phone extension over cat5 using a Krone adapter that converts the phone cable to cat5 (and back again) according to the above wiring.
    However, I have only been able to run one cable to the location where my ADSL modem/router is to be housed; but I wold like to run both voice (from the BT Master socket, and to be used for ADSL) and data over this one cable. I understand that its possible to buy cat5 splitters that allow 2 data lines to be used on the same cable, but anyone know if (and where) I can get splitters that will allow data and voice on the same cable ??
    I assume i would likely have to replace the Krone adapters I am currently using for voice (not an issue as I can just return them to work).

Hi,

Havent seen splitter for Voice and Data on a single cable although I am sure that someone will make them.

The "economiser" splitters that you may see for sale are intended for running two Ethernet circuits over a single cable.

Ethernet uses the Orange and Green pairs so the economisers take the Green and Orange pairs to 1&2 (orange pair) and 3&6 (green pair) to socket 1, it then uses the otherwise unused Blue and Brown pairs to provide 1&2, 3&6 on the second socket.

These would be of no use whatsoever for phone usage as phones use the Blue and Orange pairs.

All is not lost however, take a trip over to www.maplin.co.uk and look for RJ45 Double Adapter PU96E. These take all 8 wires to each socket so are no good for ethernet but will be useful to you.

Feed your existing phone line as you are doing now with the Krone adapters plugged into these doublers. For the ADSL, take the two wires and stick them on the Green or Brown pair of a Patch cord and plug it into the other socket on the doubler.

Shouldnt give you any problems as the phone will only be connected to the blue and orange pairs and the ADSL will be on a.n.other pair.

Hope that helps

Keith

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks for the reply.
    Did some reading, and came across the Coolport - seems to do what I want.
    However, I've had another plan. The wiring is being done via RJ45 and BT modular faceplates - I therefore have easy access to the punch downs and the sockets will be right next to each other. I'm going to try and use the spare pairs on the ethernet socket - remove this from the punch down block and wire them to the BT punch down on the faceplace. I have phone master sockets, so only need one pair. should word OK.

I'm, using the modular bits from the bottom of:
    http://www.solwise.co.uk/networking_sundries.htm

Wont need the krone adapters anymore.
    Will post back results....

Quote Originally Posted by gingerneil
    However, I've had another plan. The wiring is being done via RJ45 and BT modular faceplates - I therefore have easy access to the punch downs and the sockets will be right next to each other. I'm going to try and use the spare pairs on the ethernet socket - remove this from the punch down block and wire them to the BT punch down on the faceplace. I have phone master sockets, so only need one pair. should wokd OK.
    NO NO NO NO NO

The whole point of a structured wiring scheme is that it provides a COMMON cabling layout throughout the whole building.

All sockets should have 8 connections which appear in the same order at the other end of the cable in order that ANYTHING the uses CAT5 Cable/RJ45 can be plugged in and work.

Whilst your solution will work for now, you dont know what you will be using it for in the future. eg Power over Ethernet

1. Stick to using RJ45 sockets with Krone Adapters

2. DONT break out pairs to another socket

3. DONT use more than 1 Master socket, whilst in most case is will work it can cause problems due to the extra capacitance on the line.

You have ignored the basic rules of installing CAT5

1. NEVER run a single cable, always in pairs or multiples thereof.

2. If you can think of a use for all cables run to a particular point...run a few more.

3. You dont have to terminate all cables initially but cable is cheap.

4. If you dont want to run more now, at least consider an easy way or running more in the future.

Many people on this forum have already run up against the problem of not enough cables which is why the list of rules exists. Ignore them at your peril!!!

Regards

Keith

Automated Home Lurker

Easy to say, but it was a physical impossibility to run more than one cable to this point. The cable had to be tucked within the expansion gap between laminate floor and tile in order to go across a doorway. I also had to run another cat5 in there meaning I could only have one cable to each of two locations on the other side of the door.
    (cable is going from a cupboard under the stairs to the other side of the living room). I therefore now have one cat5 run from the cupboard to each side of the fireplace. I have no choice.
    The phone point is next to one of the cat5 wall plates that I have put in. The only way to get the phone line to the cupboard is using this cat5. I also need to run ethernet back to this location to allow a Squeezebox to connect next to the hi-fi. Therefore, no real choice but to split the cable and use the unused pairs.
    I've wired this up and it works fine - I will label the points to ensure that I know exactly what I have done in the future.

Ideally I would have a seperate run and be using cat5 and krone adapters. However, I cant. I would also go for a coolport type solution, but these aren't cheap.

Wired it all up this morning, and it works fine. I'll keep an eye out for capacitance issues on the line and replace the masters with slaves if need be.

Thanks for the advice, but I hope you can understand why I've done this now. Any comments now you have the fuller picture... is there a better way ?

I fully understand why you only have a single cable and that you want to utilise it to the maximum.

All I would say is that the ONE CABLE should terminate on ONE SOCKET and any deviation from the standard should be external to that socket using adapters.

Having said that, its your house, your cable, your decision.

Regards

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by katman
    T568B wiring colour match the BT colour code so

BT2 BLUE/White to Patch Panel 4
    BT5 WHITE/Blue to Patch Panel 5
    BT3 ORANGE/White to Patch Panel 2
    BT4 WHITE/Orange to Patch Panel 1
    Hi Keith,

I've wired up my patch lead per the wiring instructions above and while I can make outgoing calls, the phone doesn't ring for incoming ones. I've assumed that "BT2" etc is the same as the second contact in from the left when looking down onto the BT plug with the latch on the right. Equally, "Patch Panel 4" etc is 4th contact from the left of the RJ45 when the latch is underneath and the contacts are a the "top".

Any ideas why the phone doesn't ring? Have I wired my plug wrongly? (I've continuity checked my patch lead just to be sure)

Thanks,

Tim.