Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Krone BT Line Adapter wiring

Default Re: Krone BT Line Adapter wiring

I've wired up my patch lead per the wiring instructions above and while I can make outgoing calls, the phone doesn't ring for incoming ones. I've assumed that "BT2" etc is the same as the second contact in from the left when looking down onto the BT plug with the latch on the right. Equally, "Patch Panel 4" etc is 4th contact from the left of the RJ45 when the latch is underneath and the contacts are a the "top".

Any ideas why the phone doesn't ring? Have I wired my plug wrongly? (I've continuity checked my patch lead just to be sure)
    I think you have the BT wiring reversed.

BT1 is nearest the tag so looking at the plug with the tag on the right it goes 654321

For the patch panel, follow the T568B colour code (the one with the orange pair on 1&2)

RJ45 plug is 12345678 with contacts up and latch underneath.

Regards

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Quote Originally Posted by katman
    Keith,

Many thanks, this was indeed the problem. I've remade the patch lead and all is well.

Thanks again,

Tim.

Glad you got it sorted OK.

Automated Home Lurker

I've wired up my patch lead per the wiring instructions above and while I can make outgoing calls, the phone doesn't ring for incoming ones. I've assumed that "BT2" etc is the same as the second contact in from the left when looking down onto the BT plug with the latch on the right. Equally, "Patch Panel 4" etc is 4th contact from the left of the RJ45 when the latch is underneath and the contacts are a the "top".

Any ideas why the phone doesn't ring? Have I wired my plug wrongly? (I've continuity checked my patch lead just to be sure)

BT1 is nearest the tag so looking at the plug with the tag on the right it goes 654321

For the patch panel, follow the T568B colour code (the one with the orange pair on 1&2)

RJ45 plug is 12345678 with contacts up and latch underneath.

Regards

Keith
    This is my first post, but this site has been a great help so far, so thanks to everybody for contributing. I'm hoping someone will spot something that I've missed or am confused about with the following problem because it's taken up for too much time and too many components already!

I have a similar problem to TimH - I'm getting a dial tone and incoming and outgoing calls work OK, but no ringing. I've made a patch lead with a BT plug at one end (against katman's advice!) and an RJ45 at the other. The RJ45 is terminated to T568B (as are all my jacks), and I've patched:

BT plug 2 to RJ45 4
    BT plug 3 to RJ45 2
    BT plug 4 to RJ45 1
    BT plug 5 to RJ45 5

I've connected the 'phone via a BT to RJ45 adapter from Maplin, and I've tried patching the green pair instead of the orange pair to BT 3 and 4 in case the Maplin adapter was wired for T568A. I've also tried reversing the patching above, but still get the same problem.

I took the Maplin adapter apart and was suprised to see that it connected:

BT plug 2 to RJ45 5
    BT plug 3 to RJ45 7
    BT plug 4 to RJ45 2
    BT plug 5 to RJ45 4

Following the route with my T568B-B patch lead, this means that 'phone (BT) plug 2 goes into the BT socket where BT plug 5 would go if plugging in a phone directly (sorry about the clumsy description but I think BT sockets are numbered differently so didn't want to confuse everything), 'phone plug 3 does not reach the BT socket (explains no ringing), 'phone 4 goes into socket at BT plug pos 3, and 'phone 5 goes into the socket where 2 would go.

I've tried making a patch lead that maintains the positions so that BT plug 2, 3, 4, and 5 end up going into the socket where it would do if you plugged the phone in directly but didn't even get a ring tone from that one.

I've also tried putting an RJ45 plug on an old 'phone cable directly a couple of times without getting it to ring, one maintaining the pins order and one reversing them, but still can't get the phone to ring.

I am out of BT plugs now (!) but the one thing I can see left to try is to make up a patch lead to connect Patch Panel 7 to BT 4 and try the Maplin adapter again. However, as far as I can see, this would be the same as when I put the RJ45 straight onto the old phone lead with pin order reversed.

I have a similar problem to TimH - I'm getting a dial tone and incoming and outgoing calls work OK, but no ringing. I've made a patch lead with a BT plug at one end (against katman's advice!) and an RJ45 at the other. The RJ45 is terminated to T568B (as are all my jacks), and I've patched:

BT plug 2 to RJ45 4
    BT plug 3 to RJ45 2
    BT plug 4 to RJ45 1
    BT plug 5 to RJ45 5
    Which is how it should be.

I've connected the 'phone via a BT to RJ45 adapter from Maplin, and I've tried patching the green pair instead of the orange pair to BT 3 and 4 in case the Maplin adapter was wired for T568A. I've also tried reversing the patching above, but still get the same problem.
    The ONLY difference between T568A and T568B is the COLOUR of pairs 2 & 3 are transposed. ELECTRICALLY THEY ARE IDENTICAL. The only problem comes when terminating the cable if you use T568B at one end and T568A at the other !!!

I took the Maplin adapter apart and was suprised to see that it connected:

BT plug 2 to RJ45 5
    BT plug 3 to RJ45 7
    BT plug 4 to RJ45 2
    BT plug 5 to RJ45 4

Following the route with my T568B-B patch lead, this means that 'phone (BT) plug 2 goes into the BT socket where BT plug 5 would go if plugging in a phone directly (sorry about the clumsy description but I think BT sockets are numbered differently so didn't want to confuse everything), 'phone plug 3 does not reach the BT socket (explains no ringing), 'phone 4 goes into socket at BT plug pos 3, and 'phone 5 goes into the socket where 2 would go.

I've tried making a patch lead that maintains the positions so that BT plug 2, 3, 4, and 5 end up going into the socket where it would do if you plugged the phone in directly but didn't even get a ring tone from that one.

I've also tried putting an RJ45 plug on an old 'phone cable directly a couple of times without getting it to ring, one maintaining the pins order and one reversing them, but still can't get the phone to ring.

I am out of BT plugs now (!) but the one thing I can see left to try is to make up a patch lead to connect Patch Panel 7 to BT 4 and try the Maplin adapter again. However, as far as I can see, this would be the same as when I put the RJ45 straight onto the old phone lead with pin order reversed.
    Are you sure you are reading the RJ45 plug the right way round ?

You say that you get dial tone but A&B are reversed. As this is RJ45 4/5 then if you were reading the wrong way round this would then put them in the correct order.

Ringing is on BT3 which you say is connected to RJ45 7 but reading from the opposite direction would be pin 2 which would be correct

The only one that seems odd is BT4 but as that isnt needed anyway I wouldnt worry about it.

I cant believe that the Maplin adapters would be wired to a completely different standard.

If at all possible I would terminate a length of CAT5 onto the patch panel or a spare RJ45 socket and then onto the NTE faceplate and use an RJ45 patch lead to connect them and see what happens then.

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks, katman.

The ONLY difference between T568A and T568B is the COLOUR of pairs 2 & 3 are transposed. ELECTRICALLY THEY ARE IDENTICAL. The only problem comes when terminating the cable if you use T568B at one end and T568A at the other !!!
    I know, the "patch" cable I made was actually a crossover from T568A to T568B to transpose the green and orange pairs in case the RJ45 on the Maplin adapter was T568A.

With the clip underneath and the contacts pointing up, pins go 1-8 from left to right?

You say that you get dial tone but A&B are reversed. As this is RJ45 4/5 then if you were reading the wrong way round this would then put them in the correct order.

Ringing is on BT3 which you say is connected to RJ45 7 but reading from the opposite direction would be pin 2 which would be correct

The only one that seems odd is BT4 but as that isnt needed anyway I wouldnt worry about it.

I cant believe that the Maplin adapters would be wired to a completely different standard.

If at all possible I would terminate a length of CAT5 onto the patch panel or a spare RJ45 socket and then onto the NTE faceplate and use an RJ45 patch lead to connect them and see what happens then.
    I have a really old master at the moment, not an NTE5. I'm waiting for a quote from BT to replace it. Thanks for your help, I'll get some new supplies later and try again tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by caesar
    Thanks, katman.

With the clip underneath and the contacts pointing up, pins go 1-8 from left to right?
    If you are holding it by the cable

http://www.diyha.co.uk/electronics/rj45.html

I have a really old master at the moment, not an NTE5. I'm waiting for a quote from BT to replace it. Thanks for your help, I'll get some new supplies later and try again tonight.
    Dont worry about that !

Either connect directly to the back of it, or if you are an ADSL user, nip off to Solwise and buy an NTE5 with ADSL faceplate.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm
    NTE5 £4-79
    ADSL Faceplate £12-34

You *shouldnt* change it yourself but no one will be any the wiser

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks for all the help, this is all working now. It looks like it might have had something to do with a poor quality BT master line. BT replaced the cable into my flat and the patch leads I'd made up earlier worked first time with the 'phone that I'd crimped an RJ45 plug onto. I had to replace the plug on the Maplin adapter to get that to work though. On the left below is the RJ45 plug I crimped on, on the right is its original configuration.

Orange was coming from BT4 in the adapter,
    Red from BT5,
    Green from BT2
    Blue from BT3.

[/img]

Glad you got it working OK

You didnt say you were using FLAT LINE CORD type cable which has different colours.

All colour references were made to CAT5 cable or patch cord !!!

LOL

Automated Home Lurker

Glad you got it working OK

You didnt say you were using FLAT LINE CORD type cable which has different colours.

All colour references were made to CAT5 cable or patch cord !!!

LOL
    That was only on the Maplin adapter! Everything else is Cat5e, T568B. Out of interest, do you know what the wiring standard is for this flat line cord?