• Show
Clear All
  • caesar
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jun 2006

Re: Krone BT Line Adapter wiring

Thanks, katman.

Originally posted by katman

The ONLY difference between T568A and T568B is the COLOUR of pairs 2 & 3 are transposed. ELECTRICALLY THEY ARE IDENTICAL. The only problem comes when terminating the cable if you use T568B at one end and T568A at the other !!!
    I know, the "patch" cable I made was actually a crossover from T568A to T568B to transpose the green and orange pairs in case the RJ45 on the Maplin adapter was T568A.

Are you sure you are reading the RJ45 plug the right way round ?
    With the clip underneath and the contacts pointing up, pins go 1-8 from left to right?

You say that you get dial tone but A&B are reversed. As this is RJ45 4/5 then if you were reading the wrong way round this would then put them in the correct order.

Ringing is on BT3 which you say is connected to RJ45 7 but reading from the opposite direction would be pin 2 which would be correct

The only one that seems odd is BT4 but as that isnt needed anyway I wouldnt worry about it.

I cant believe that the Maplin adapters would be wired to a completely different standard.

If at all possible I would terminate a length of CAT5 onto the patch panel or a spare RJ45 socket and then onto the NTE faceplate and use an RJ45 patch lead to connect them and see what happens then.
    I have a really old master at the moment, not an NTE5. I'm waiting for a quote from BT to replace it. Thanks for your help, I'll get some new supplies later and try again tonight.

Comment

• katman
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by caesar
      Thanks, katman.

Are you sure you are reading the RJ45 plug the right way round ?
      With the clip underneath and the contacts pointing up, pins go 1-8 from left to right?
      If you are holding it by the cable

I have a really old master at the moment, not an NTE5. I'm waiting for a quote from BT to replace it. Thanks for your help, I'll get some new supplies later and try again tonight.
      Dont worry about that !

Either connect directly to the back of it, or if you are an ADSL user, nip off to Solwise and buy an NTE5 with ADSL faceplate.

NTE5 £4-79
      ADSL Faceplate £12-34

You *shouldnt* change it yourself but no one will be any the wiser
      KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
      http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• caesar
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Jun 2006

Thanks for all the help, this is all working now. It looks like it might have had something to do with a poor quality BT master line. BT replaced the cable into my flat and the patch leads I'd made up earlier worked first time with the 'phone that I'd crimped an RJ45 plug onto. I had to replace the plug on the Maplin adapter to get that to work though. On the left below is the RJ45 plug I crimped on, on the right is its original configuration.

Orange was coming from BT4 in the adapter,
        Red from BT5,
        Green from BT2
        Blue from BT3.

[/img]

Comment

• katman
          • Jan 2004

Glad you got it working OK

You didnt say you were using FLAT LINE CORD type cable which has different colours.

All colour references were made to CAT5 cable or patch cord !!!

LOL

Comment

• caesar
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Jun 2006

Glad you got it working OK

You didnt say you were using FLAT LINE CORD type cable which has different colours.

All colour references were made to CAT5 cable or patch cord !!!

LOL
            That was only on the Maplin adapter! Everything else is Cat5e, T568B. Out of interest, do you know what the wiring standard is for this flat line cord?

Comment

• katman
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by caesar
              That was only on the Maplin adapter! Everything else is Cat5e, T568B. Out of interest, do you know what the wiring standard is for this flat line cord?
              Yes.

If its 4 core it goes on the centre 4 conductors, 6 core on the centre 6, and 8 core fills the plug

Just make sure that you get the two ends the same

That picture you showed uses the American line cord colours as far as I can tell as Red/Green is Line1, Yellow/Black is Line2 but I have never seen the "official" US colours (or should that be colors?) for lines 3 & 4

BT colours used to be Red, Blue, Green, White when all phones were hard wired but after PST (Plug and Socket Telephone) was introduced in 1981 there have been loads of variations as you never actually need to use the wires individually because you just crimp a plug on. I have seen Red with 3 whites similar to ribbon cable where the red just tells you which is the first wire. I have also seen cables with 4 transparent wires where the only identification was a rib on the underside of the cable.

In short, there isnt really a "standard" colour code.

Comment

Working...
              X