Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: eovhome Wi-FI FW releases

Automated Home Legend

When you are primes inter pares, then they really is no pressure to raise your game. Now that there are well-respected competitors offering products that compete directly with Evohome; at a cheaper price and with a modern GUI, then I would have thought that Honeywell needs to take note. (And the weather information on the App still doesn’t work!!)

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sharpener View Post
    It says so in the User Manual for the original monochrome controller and I for one feel cheated by the fact that no updates have ever been released.
    And to be fair there was atleast one version of the firmware that was made available to upgrade to via the USB port. Nothing since. Also I have never seen any firmware images for the V2 colour version. But I knowmy Gateway did receive a couple of updates.

Automated Home Legend

The weather info in the iPhone app has always worked for me apart from a short outage recently where it “couldn’t find” my location.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    The weather info in the iPhone app has always worked for me apart from a short outage recently where it “couldn’t find” my location.
    Well it hasn't worked for me now for a couple of weeks. I have deleted and re-installed the App but to no avail.

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sharpener View Post
    See http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...0965#post20965

Neither top brake in his reply or anyone else from Honeywell has to my knowledge ever explained why this misleading information was published in the first place, why the policy was changed or what the USB port was provided for if not for connectivity or upgrades (there is also a programming port of some kind behind an access flap so it is probably not for initial software loading in the factory).
    That is referring to Evohome v2/colour. We are talking about v1 and v1.2.
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Have just (admittedly quickly) scanned through both v1, v1.2, and v2 manuals/brochures and specs I have and can't see a reference to any firmware updates.

Can someone post an actual image/pdf of this claim?

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
    That is referring to Evohome v2/colour. We are talking about v1 and v1.2.
    I do have sympathy for Honeywell here. If you think back a few years ago, a heating controller was a microprocessor device that was installed by a heating engineer and just left to work. If you think about it, what that implies is that a whole organisation required to support end users and them doing updates etc. did not exist. Think of it from Honeywell's perspective, you do an update on your controller, brick it.....now what, times that by 700 customers....You don't have the infrastructure to sort this out yourself and now everyone of your installation engineers has incurred extra cost fixing the problem you caused, they now sell another manufacturers controller. The black and white one was very advanced for it's age.

Now, the new colour one, again should be updateable. I think a lot of the upcoming features should have been out a year / 9 months ago. Though, I am surprised at the timing of rolling these updates out. If I was Honeywell, I would push out major releases in April/May timeframe and then minor updates in Sept/Oct. No way would I ever be pushing major updates out to my customer base November - February, the main time that the heating is being used and the most impactful if something goes wrong.

It would be good as well if they created a 'Beta' channel like many other manufacturers have, so that more advanced users could subscribe to have updates pushed to them earlier. It provides a good test environment for them on a set of more accepting users.

Roy.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by roydonaldson View Post
    I think a lot of the upcoming features should have been out a year / 9 months ago. Though, I am surprised at the timing of rolling these updates out. If I was Honeywell, I would push out major releases in April/May timeframe and then minor updates in Sept/Oct. No way would I ever be pushing major updates out to my customer base November - February, the main time that the heating is being used and the most impactful if something goes wrong.

Roy.
    I agree. I would have thought that Honeywell might have taken note of the issues that one of its competitors has had with Winter push updates. As cyber expects have said many times 'with connected devices it is not a case of will something go amiss, it is only a question of when'.

Automated Home Guru

On 24th November:-

[QUOTE=FullBore;34745]It would be useful to have an idea over what timescale Honeywell intend to update the firmware on all install systems? A couple of days...a month...by the end of the year...?/QUOTE]

Can anyone give an indication of the probable timescale please?

NJSS

You have in the opening post.