• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dty
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Aug 2016

Evohome HR92 batteries

Hello folks,

So about 15 months into life with Evohome, the controller has started alerting me to flat (-tening) batteries. "Warning, low batteries in downstairs actuator", or similar.

Well... as discussed in a previous thread, I have 7 HR92s in my downstairs zone! Having gone and checked them all, they all seem to have 2 (of the 3) bars showing in the battery meter. Battery levels are also reported in Domoticz (although I have no real idea how accurate these are), and are all showing 50% which seems at least consistent with the gauges on the devices themselves.

So how do I tell which one is struggling?

And, more to the point, what are people's recommendations about replacement batteries? I'm currently using the ones that came bundled.

Thanks!
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

I find sometimes when the batteries have died the display stays on. But if you pop the battery spring, count to five, then close it again the dead one will stay off.

Replacements? I use Energizer Lithium. Remember to change the battery type in the menu if you use these. But the last for YONKS!

Comment

• Andehh
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Oct 2015

Mine all lasted about 18 months, and I waited for them to die fully, then bought a big pack of the high capacity Amazon rechargeable ones. Figure when the battery drops low, ill whip them out, charge them for a few hours and stick them back in - assume to do it every 2 years.

Comment

• HenGus
        Automated Home Legend
        • May 2014

I confess that faffing about with rechargeables (I would need 40) didn’t seem to make much financial sense when a bulk buy of Duracell Industrials every two years costs less than £15.

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
          I confess that faffing about with rechargeables (I would need 40) didn’t seem to make much financial sense when a bulk buy of Duracell Industrials every two years costs less than £15.
          Rechargeable's also don't make sense on any device with extremely low standby power use like an HR92 as the self discharge rate of a rechargeable NiMH would be many times greater than the amount of power that an HR92 would actually use. This is on top of the fact that an NiMH has considerably less mAh capacity than an Alkaline battery to begin with, let alone a Lithium.

So I wouldn't expect to get more than a few months maybe 6 months from NiMH due to self discharge before they need charging again, which sounds like a lot of hassle to me when I get 18 months from Alkaline.

Personally I would just use the original Alkaline batteries until they run out and then replace them with a bulk buy pack of Lithium batteries as Paul suggests, they will last far longer than either Alkalines or NiMH and perform very well (very little voltage droop compared to Alkaline) right up until they are nearly exhausted.
          Last edited by DBMandrake; 9 November 2017, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• robj20
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Aug 2017

I cant decide what batteries to replace them with as some are reporting two bars now. Amazon low self discharge rechargeable probably 2500mah ones.

Comment

• HenGus
              Automated Home Legend
              • May 2014

Originally posted by robj20 View Post
              I cant decide what batteries to replace them with as some are reporting two bars now. Amazon low self discharge rechargeable probably 2500mah ones.
              I use Duracell Industrials from here:

Save up to 75% off RRP on AA Batteries Including Duracell, Energizer and Varta AA Batteries. We have no Minimum order and Next Day Delivery.

Most of my batteries last in excess of 2 years. Ignore what the battery state shows on the HR92s: it isn't that accurate. I would though change all the batteries in a given zone at the same time. That said, there is no rush to go out and buy replacements. I have a pair of AAs that I removed last year that are still happily powering a clock on my study table.

Comment

• dty
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Aug 2016

Thanks folks!

Lithium batteries appear to be 6-8 times the price of alkaline. Are they really worth it?

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jul 2014

is the option to change battery type being used only a HR92 thing? I cant recollect seeing such an option on the HR80. Then again I buy my Duracells whenever Costco has a sale on them and they always come up on sale atleast once a year.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by dty View Post
                    Thanks folks!

Lithium batteries appear to be 6-8 times the price of alkaline.
                    Not when bought in bulk online. Shop around a bit more.

Comment

• paulockenden
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by dty View Post
                      Thanks folks!

Lithium batteries appear to be 6-8 times the price of alkaline. Are they really worth it?
                      Maybe 4x if you shop around.

They won’t last 4x as long. Maybe 2 or 3. But the premium is worth it IMHO just to avoid the hassle of failing zones and having to change batteries so often.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jul 2014

Do people change all zones at once at first failure notice or as and went you get the warnings?

Comment

• DanD
                          Automated Home Ninja
                          • Feb 2016

I only change the batteries on the single HR92 that's showing the low battery warning. I also wait a few days/weeks after the first warning before changing the batteries just to make sure they really need changing. I've had a few false messages where the battery level has jumped up again and not dropped again for a few weeks/months. I'm using replacement alkaline batteries.

Comment

• dty
                            Automated Home Ninja
                            • Aug 2016

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                            Not when bought in bulk online. Shop around a bit more.
                            The cheapest I’ve found them is on the site HenGus mentioned. I need 48 for the whole house and they do a 48 pack! For £60! :-( Alkalines are £10-ish in similar quantities.

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
                              Automated Home Ninja
                              • Jun 2012

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                              Do people change all zones at once at first failure notice or as and went you get the warnings?
                              Different heads will have different workloads both on the mechanical side and the rf. Just change as necessary.
                              Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

Working...
                              X