Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Evohome HR92 batteries

Automated Home Ninja

Default Evohome HR92 batteries

Hello folks,

So about 15 months into life with Evohome, the controller has started alerting me to flat (-tening) batteries. "Warning, low batteries in downstairs actuator", or similar.

Well... as discussed in a previous thread, I have 7 HR92s in my downstairs zone! Having gone and checked them all, they all seem to have 2 (of the 3) bars showing in the battery meter. Battery levels are also reported in Domoticz (although I have no real idea how accurate these are), and are all showing 50% which seems at least consistent with the gauges on the devices themselves.

So how do I tell which one is struggling?

And, more to the point, what are people's recommendations about replacement batteries? I'm currently using the ones that came bundled.

Thanks!

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

I find sometimes when the batteries have died the display stays on. But if you pop the battery spring, count to five, then close it again the dead one will stay off.

Replacements? I use Energizer Lithium. Remember to change the battery type in the menu if you use these. But the last for YONKS!

Automated Home Jr Member

Mine all lasted about 18 months, and I waited for them to die fully, then bought a big pack of the high capacity Amazon rechargeable ones. Figure when the battery drops low, ill whip them out, charge them for a few hours and stick them back in - assume to do it every 2 years.

Automated Home Legend

I confess that faffing about with rechargeables (I would need 40) didnít seem to make much financial sense when a bulk buy of Duracell Industrials every two years costs less than £15.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    I confess that faffing about with rechargeables (I would need 40) didn’t seem to make much financial sense when a bulk buy of Duracell Industrials every two years costs less than £15.
    Rechargeable's also don't make sense on any device with extremely low standby power use like an HR92 as the self discharge rate of a rechargeable NiMH would be many times greater than the amount of power that an HR92 would actually use. This is on top of the fact that an NiMH has considerably less mAh capacity than an Alkaline battery to begin with, let alone a Lithium.

So I wouldn't expect to get more than a few months maybe 6 months from NiMH due to self discharge before they need charging again, which sounds like a lot of hassle to me when I get 18 months from Alkaline.

Personally I would just use the original Alkaline batteries until they run out and then replace them with a bulk buy pack of Lithium batteries as Paul suggests, they will last far longer than either Alkalines or NiMH and perform very well (very little voltage droop compared to Alkaline) right up until they are nearly exhausted.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 9th November 2017 at 06:49 PM.

Automated Home Sr Member

I cant decide what batteries to replace them with as some are reporting two bars now. Amazon low self discharge rechargeable probably 2500mah ones.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by robj20 View Post
    I cant decide what batteries to replace them with as some are reporting two bars now. Amazon low self discharge rechargeable probably 2500mah ones.
    I use Duracell Industrials from here:

https://www.batterystation.co.uk/aa-...anufacturer=21

Most of my batteries last in excess of 2 years. Ignore what the battery state shows on the HR92s: it isn't that accurate. I would though change all the batteries in a given zone at the same time. That said, there is no rush to go out and buy replacements. I have a pair of AAs that I removed last year that are still happily powering a clock on my study table.

Automated Home Ninja

Thanks folks!

Lithium batteries appear to be 6-8 times the price of alkaline. Are they really worth it?

Automated Home Legend

is the option to change battery type being used only a HR92 thing? I cant recollect seeing such an option on the HR80. Then again I buy my Duracells whenever Costco has a sale on them and they always come up on sale atleast once a year.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dty View Post
    Thanks folks!

Lithium batteries appear to be 6-8 times the price of alkaline.
    Not when bought in bulk online. Shop around a bit more.