X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HenGus
    Automated Home Legend
    • May 2014

The industrial/lithium maths do not stack up for me. Batterystation claims ‘Formerly known as Procell, these Industrial by Duracell batteries last up to 10 times longer than standard alkaline AA cells.’

As some of the original HR92 batteries lasted in excess of 2 years, I am expecting not to have to change some of my industrial batteries until 2037!!

Comment

• top brake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Feb 2015

i would recommend an annual preventative maintenance change of all batteries when you get your boiler serviced

i use varta alkalines from Screwfix https://www.screwfix.com/p/varta-aa-...-24-pack/3215k
      i like the ammo holder they come in, and they are highly rated in tests
      I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• dty
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Aug 2016

I ended up getting 50x Energizer Lithium from Fleebay for £40.

Comment

• G4RHL
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jan 2015

I use the “Industrial” ones and no issues with them but don’t think I’d change all each year. If I don’t need to then I don’t. However, it is not a bad suggestion. Somebody who is not technically minded and may perhaps struggle to know what to do then doing all at service time each year would have some merit. Mind you there would still be confusion in my house as for one zone the batteries only last 3 months, and so spot on is the 3 months duration that I know almost to the day when I will get the message to change. The least used zone in the house where the temperature is rarely if ever high enough for the radiator to come on. I will need to change them again on or about the 15th December!

Comment

• mylesm
            Automated Home Guru
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
            I use the “Industrial” ones and no issues with them but don’t think I’d change all each year. If I don’t need to then I don’t. However, it is not a bad suggestion. Somebody who is not technically minded and may perhaps struggle to know what to do then doing all at service time each year would have some merit. Mind you there would still be confusion in my house as for one zone the batteries only last 3 months, and so spot on is the 3 months duration that I know almost to the day when I will get the message to change. The least used zone in the house where the temperature is rarely if ever high enough for the radiator to come on. I will need to change them again on or about the 15th December!
            Every 3 months seem very frequent I have not got a warning yet from when I changed over a year ago and some zones are on from 7am to 22:30 is it usual to have to replace every 3 months or is there something causing the Hr92 to use more power I wonder if you swapped that Hr92 with another and rebound it to the zone would the other one also only last 3 months

Comment

• G4RHL
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by mylesm View Post
              Every 3 months seem very frequent I have not got a warning yet from when I changed over a year ago and some zones are on from 7am to 22:30 is it usual to have to replace every 3 months or is there something causing the Hr92 to use more power I wonder if you swapped that Hr92 with another and rebound it to the zone would the other one also only last 3 months
              Usually they last over a year. The longest so far is 20 months. I only started keeping a record of changes in December 2015. I installed the system in December 2014. I started the record as I thought one seemed to be regularly eating them. Since December 2015 new batteries have been installed in this one HR92:

06 December 2015
              15 March 2016
              24 June 2016
              25 September 2016
              17 December 2016
              15 March 2017
              18 June 2017
              10 September 2017

Hence I expect to be changing them mid December next!

I have delayed a swap round whilst I monitored but intend to do so when the time comes to change again - mid December next. The HR92 rarely has to operate, the wireless signal is good and it does not matter whether the Control Panel is near or some distance from it. Whilst the HRP92 is rarely needed to open and close the valve they will be talking to base regularly. Just about the only time it is needed to open and close is when I put the new batteries in and it syncs. Will find out if it is a faulty HR92 some time around March next year after I change the batteries in December and swap the HR92s around.
              Last edited by G4RHL; 4 December 2017, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• G4RHL
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jan 2015

Addendum: 4th December 2017

As expected in my last post on the 14th November, today the message arrived that I need to change the batteries in the usual zone. To the above list therefore add 4th December 2017. I have now swapped HR92s over and in March next year should know if it is the location or the device that is causing the issue. I don't think it is phases of the month or the equinox!

Comment

• paulockenden
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Apr 2015

Perhaps it's every Supermoon!

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
                    Automated Home Ninja
                    • Jun 2012

Or an ill tempered telepathic goldfish.
                    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• G4RHL
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
                      Or an ill tempered telepathic goldfish.
                      Definitely not a goldfish. Have not got any. Got a hedgehog in the garden who keeps tripping my camera during the night.

It was so long since I last set up an HR92 I had to get the book out to remind myself!

Comment

• paulockenden
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Apr 2015

Got a hedgehog in the garden who keeps tripping my camera during the night.
                        Shouldn't they be hibernating by now? Might need attention from a local wildlife rescue...

Comment

• Rameses
                          Industry Expert
                          • Nov 2014

Addendum: 4th December 2017

As expected in my last post on the 14th November, today the message arrived that I need to change the batteries in the usual zone. To the above list therefore add 4th December 2017. I have now swapped HR92s over and in March next year should know if it is the location or the device that is causing the issue. I don't think it is phases of the month or the equinox!
                          Log a warranty call - Say I said so
                          getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• G4RHL
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                            Shouldn't they be hibernating by now? Might need attention from a local wildlife rescue...
                            Haven’t told him he should be asleep. Looks big fat and healthy to me. Perhaps I should set him up with a hut and Evohome system.

Comment

• G4RHL
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Jan 2015

Thanks. It’s 3 years old! It just may be better to see what happens. Radio waves are not straight forward things to deal with. Line of sight makes you think it’s a great signal but it may not be great if there are other devices nearby also emitting signals. In my case it is not line of sight, yet it is not the furthest away from the Panel. By March next I will know whether it is the location or the device. Perhaps better to wait for the Spring Equinox. It is just a little too consistent, every 3 months, to make me think it is the device, but I cannot think what else it could be although my airing cupboard is 10 feet away and in that are the relays, one for heating one for hot water.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Sep 2014

Usually they last over a year. The longest so far is 20 months. I only started keeping a record of changes in December 2015. I installed the system in December 2014. I started the record as I thought one seemed to be regularly eating them. Since December 2015 new batteries have been installed in this one HR92:

06 December 2015
                                15 March 2016
                                24 June 2016
                                25 September 2016
                                17 December 2016
                                15 March 2017
                                18 June 2017
                                10 September 2017

Hence I expect to be changing them mid December next!

I have delayed a swap round whilst I monitored but intend to do so when the time comes to change again - mid December next. The HR92 rarely has to operate, the wireless signal is good and it does not matter whether the Control Panel is near or some distance from it. Whilst the HRP92 is rarely needed to open and close the valve they will be talking to base regularly. Just about the only time it is needed to open and close is when I put the new batteries in and it syncs. Will find out if it is a faulty HR92 some time around March next year after I change the batteries in December and swap the HR92s around.
                                My guess is faulty battery contacts.

One of mine reported brand new batteries as only 2 bars instead of 3, and then after only a few months started reporting the batteries as flat. I took them out and measured them and they were not. I gave the contact points of the battery terminals a careful scrape and also increased their tension - now the HR92 was happy that the batteries were not flat after all...

The batteries you removed, can you measure their exact voltage ? You can get a pretty good idea of the state of an Alkaline battery from the open circuit terminal voltage. I'd be interested to know what it was when the HR92 claimed they were flat.

Another way to find if the batteries really were flat would be to swap them with the batteries in another HR92 and see if the report of low battery location moved with the batteries... I'm skeptical the batteries themselves really are being drained that much, it's more likely a bad connection (or faulty HR92) is misreporting them as flat.

Comment

Working...
                                X