• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smarteeplug
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2017

Looking for UK Mains socket powerstrip with ethernet IP control

So I have one of the Energenie power management strips which is controlled by sending IP packets to the device which then switches on and off the device's I have plugged into them. I know its had problems from what I have experienced and read online including here, but I wondered if anyone knows of an equivalent device? I know Energenie do a similar one with USB control but the problem there is there is no security for monitoring USB devices unlike Ethernet IP where I can setup firewall rules to the device and use Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS) or Intrusion Protection Systems (IPS) to monitor and block any rogue packets that might be attempting to hack the device. Likewise with various free tools on the Linux & windows platforms, its fairly easy to break the security for Wifi conntrolled devices so I wish to avoid those.

I can get a Lindy IP power strip but thats really for rack servers and uses the IEC C13/14 sockets/plugs so its not suitable for the UK mains plud device's I have.

I have seen a UK Mains powerstrip which can be controlled by Infrared (possibly from Kenable or someone other online supplier it may even have been Lindy) but its currently of stock and would require having to setup an IR transmitter to control the device which then means additional cabling when Ethernet would be sufficient and easy to transmit with Powerline ethernet adaptors. So not ideal but may be last resort as at least it has more security than USB controlled units where no such security exists.

So does such a thing exist as my exhaustive searchs online have turned up nothing so far.

TIA
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Have a look at DigiDave
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
    X