• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alexsmith2k
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2005

X10 - Two way communication

I am currently looking for automate my home using x10 modules and the homevision pro controller.

I am currently looking for lamp modules, however it is quite unclear online which modules are and arn't two way, perhaps some some one could tell me the difference;

LD11 DIN mounted lamp module - think is two way and is £26.91 on letsautomate.com (most expensive)

LM12 Plug-in Lamp Modules - £17.99 - the cheapest lamp module they do unsure of whether two or just one way

LW10U Light Switch - £24.68 - again im unsure whether it is two way

LM12W Lamp Modules - £19.98 - this is probably the best module for my requirements because it will be hard wired but it is the cheapest hard-wired avaliable, however is this one or two way communication?

Thanks for any help!
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: X10 - Two way communication

This cause me a few problems at the beginning. Two way modules can transmit their status when they are turned on locally. ie when using a switch. This is useful if you need more than one module set to the same unit number to control a set of lights. One way modules are essentially just X10 receivers, they except X10 commands and some can be controlled locally but can't transmit their status.
    In Spain its quite common to have about three or four switches to control your outside lights. If you want to control them all from one loation then at that location use a two way module, and at the others use a one way. Make sure all the modules in the chain are the same type ie all light modules or aplliance modules.
    As far as I am aware the plugin LM12 and the LM12W are one way.
    You might want to look at the micro modules as well, AWM2 and LWM2, these are two way and are quite small. take a look on Intellihome's web site, the also offer free shipping if you spend over 149 euros about 100 pounds. Their site is www.intellihome.be they can also supply UK sockets for plug-in modules.
    Hope this helps
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• alexsmith2k
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Nov 2005

Thanks for your reply toscal, I am definetely looking for two way switches as i intend to daisy chain some lights together in some situtations but via code within homevision as these chains will change on certain options such as time external light conditions etc.

perhaps you could confirm, are LD11 DIN mounted lamp module's two-way ? In which case i think i will use these to form the base of my project as the micro-modules are nearly £60 each!

good site by the way very competative prices!

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Will try and let you know sometime today (Monday 7th) or tomorrow
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

Just tried out the LD11 dim mount dimmer module. Its only one way. It also hums abit when its on. Another thing to bear in mind is that they can get quite warm, so don´t mount them side by side. You need to leave an air gap between each module.
          Hope this info helps.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
          X