• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alexsmith2k
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2005

X10 vs C-Bus

I am looking to install a complete HA system in my house which I have wired in cat 5 to every room and also wired all of the lighting circuits through a central point (in a utility room next to all of the heating controllers and boilers etc)

I was originally planning on using a combination of Homevision and x10 modules, however I have been reading into c-bus technologies.

I was wondering what peoples opinions are on the two, x10 seems to have the same functionality however the c-bus stuff is considerably more expensive, in my opinion around double?

cheers guys
  • FrankMcAlinden
    Automated Home Guru
    • Feb 2004

Re: X10 vs C-Bus

Hi Alex
    I was originally planning on using a combination of Homevision and x10 modules, however I have been reading into c-bus technologies.

This is the combination that i use and am very happy with.I did orginally plan on using x10 with Homevision , but excluding the cost of the switches the price of an 8 channel CBUS dimmer was comparable to 8 LD11 x10 modules..Check out the link , might be helpful....

HTH
    Frank
    Home of FirM - the Multi Zone IR Transport System
    http://www.armaghelectrical.com.au/index.html

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

I use X10 at home with HomeVision. The controller is very stable and reliable, when things go wrong it is usually becuase of finger trouble or bad programming on my part.
      I find X10 very reliable, but I do have a whole house mains filter and surge protector fitted which I think helps.
      If you have all your lighting wire going to a central location, then you could use the LD11 X10 dimmer module or AD11 Appliance module. These are designed to fit onto a din rail like the ones you find in your consumer unit fuse box, for your circuit breakers.
      You can the wire up momnetary switches to the modules or use a TMD4 or TMA4, or simialr at the switch location to then control the modules. Some people also use Leviton style controllers, but these are US style so require a US back box, make sure you use the 220/230Volt versions. If you decide to go the X10 route you can contact me directly at toscal(nospam)@yahoo.com just remove the (nospam) for the correct address. I can aslo supply 220/230 volt Leviton style swiches, these are manufactured as 220/230 Volt units and are not 110V conversions.
      Hopes this helps you, and good luck.
      Also you might want to look at the EIB system, this is similar to C-Bus.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• alexsmith2k
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Nov 2005

Cheers guys,

please bear with me while i read through the links you gave me as im currently trying to meet uni projects all this week so things are a bit hectic at the moment!

will get back to you soon as

Comment

• alexsmith2k
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Nov 2005

I have been reading up on both and cbus seems to have some advantages over x10 on reliability, what controllers are people using to interface with it, ie equivalent to homevision with ir pc interface, i/o etc?

also i am having some difficulty in the price comparisions people are giving, cbus is from what i have found far from comparable with x10, an 8 channel dimmer comes in at nearly £500, whereas 8 x x10 dimmers @ 25 each = £200 which seems a considerable difference in price !

perhaps i am looking in the wrong place for prices?

Thanks

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

Many people use X10 and are quite happy with it. And quite a few then go on to other technologies from there.
            No the prices seem about right about 450 to 495 pounds for an 8 Channel dimmer either with or with out a power supply.
            I use X10 and after the initial teething problems, normally bad macros or bugs in my schedules, have found it to be quite reliable.
            Some things to consider.
            Sit down and think what you want to achieve first before rushing in. Then see if X10 is the way to go. Also think about your future needs how will my system now, cope with future upgrades etc.
            When using X10. Do filter the mains supply entering the house. This helps to cut down noise. And avoids you sending X10 signals out of your house.
            Some form of test equipment is a good idea if you intend to have a big X10 system. Helps to track down problem areas and noise hot spots.
            Try to avoid sending to many commands at once. If possible spread them out.
            If the item under x10 control is a critical system, ie Central Heating. Then issue the commands several times just to make sure. Its been turned on or off.
            When was the house last rewired. Its something to think about.
            IF you want to have CAT5 installed around the house always install more cable than you presently need. Also if you find 1 cable is faulty then you always have a back up.

Lastly just when you have thought of a way of doing something someone else will always come up with a better solution.
            Phew I think thats about it.
            Oh one more thing;
            You still might want to look at KNX/EIB as this is supported by well over 100 companies, such as Siemens.
            THe main KNX/EIB web page is http://www.konnex-knx.com/
            more info here http://www.eiba.com/en/index.html
            UK shop for EIB stuff is http://www.eibshop.co.uk
            Good luck
            IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
            X