Thread: Zwave and metal back boxes

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Zwave and metal back boxes

Just a quick question. I know you can put the dimmers behind the light switch and wondered, given that the back boxes are metal and front switches would also be metal, what the impact was on effective range.

Steve

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi Steve, I have a number of Fibaro Dimmers and relays installed in metal back boxes with metal switch covers. I can't comment on absolute range but have no problems.

Automated Home Jr Member

Many thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianh100 View Post
    Hi Steve, I have a number of Fibaro Dimmers and relays installed in metal back boxes with metal switch covers. I can't comment on absolute range but have no problems.

Automated Home Sr Member franktate's Avatar

I seem to have problems with all communication in my house (wifi, phones etc). The signal for the z-wave was not reaching my patio door so I had to move the main controller.

In theory the mesh network of z-wave should help this but not every z-wave device is a repeater.

You can buy z-wave repeaters/extenders. This was my next option if the movement of the main controller didn't work. They are around £40 for the plug in type. So if you find you have signal issues I would suggest you spend the money on an active device that also acts as a repeater.

Frank

Automated Home Jr Member

I bought some repeaters the other day, for a rainy day, and for anyone else that is looking they are still selling them off at Maplins for 4.99 https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/foxx-proj...extender-a74wa

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by franktate View Post
    I seem to have problems with all communication in my house (wifi, phones etc). The signal for the z-wave was not reaching my patio door so I had to move the main controller.

In theory the mesh network of z-wave should help this but not every z-wave device is a repeater.

You can buy z-wave repeaters/extenders. This was my next option if the movement of the main controller didn't work. They are around £40 for the plug in type. So if you find you have signal issues I would suggest you spend the money on an active device that also acts as a repeater.

Frank

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

For those that aren't aware, Foxx project kit is basically Aeotech products rebranded. They even use Aeotech device IDs.

And for a fiver these are an absolute bargain.

Automated Home Sr Member franktate's Avatar

Definitely worth a fiver. Another excuse to go into Maplin.

Frank